Islands 4/2 Coronado Islands

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
Hit the Coronado Islands for the first time on my own boat. Rough leaving the Pt Loma channel in the am, short period swell meant we had to throttle down to 12kts or so.

Finally made it down closer to 8, worked the middle grounds, trolled south between South Island and the tuna pens with a rapala surface x rap. Wrapped all the way around South Island and hit up the middle grounds, pukey point, nothing. The sport boats showed up in the area and our hopes picked up but still no luck. Left around 130. I saw the San Diego hit 39 YT. What a great captain. He burned a ton of fuel and really worked for it. Hats off to him.

I’ll keep at it and get them one day. Gold luck out there

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Damn wind....well great report and glad you got out south on your own boat.
    Nothing like experience. Yeah Ryan Bostian and the SD are Yellowtail magnets LOL

woolybugger

Mar 7, 2006
    San pedro
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 1801 cc
    I went to catalina the same day and that wind made for a very wet crossing. Didnt remember seeing it in the report either.

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Boat
    Dang, you just missed the afternoon bite. 13 yt for the three on our private boat. 5 a piece for my friends, I only managed 3, despite the same lure, size, and presentation.
    Yeah we had heard that they bit in the afternoon on the previous few days but unfortunately we had obligations back home. Congrats on your YT. Would you shoot me a Pm with where they hit? Thanks