4/18 &

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
It was supposed to be titled... 4/18&22.
Grab a coffee...
4/18 Mike and Eric met at the boat around 5, pushed off and got a few akules. Throttled up and headed straight out, Mike and I were readying the spread Eric at the helm. Just crossing the 300 Eric says "hey I see some porpoise" (personally I've never had any luck with a pile inside the 500, but know of plenty of others who have), yell up, go ahead and slow and follow them. Mike and I get the riggers out, just got the corners out when the stbd rigger goes, dumping line and comes off; I decide to reel it in and check it. Mind you now, it is like 6:15-30, so not very lighted yet. As I am reeling in the rigger, at first it looks like hook is stuck on the the center rigger line, as it looks like the skirts are up slightly out of the water, by the time we (Mike and I) realize its a marlin bill, she grabs the lure and misses, of course try to tease her back but no luck, its not over yet. Just setting the rigger back up, when the center goes, still in the porpoise and still very early. Get all the lines cleared, Eric with his "brandy new" Black Magic stand up gear, at a little bit of a stalemate with a couple hundred yards of line in the water. The fish is down deep, probably at a 60 deg angle, obviously we are all wanting ahi but thinking marlin because of the bite at the boat. This is when things go south... All the lines cleared, Eric, trying to get line back, but no go, when the fish decides to show us who's boss. Line starts ripping off the reel and the line breaks and so do all of our hearts. Its 6:50AM and we spent the next 10 hours supporting the local economy by consuming diesel, not even a touch.

Take a leak, grab another coffee...
4/22 Eric and i push off around 4:15, wanted to try for some more bait this time, and we were successful. Head out and set the spread, obviously we set the spread earlier than most days because of the events of the past Saturday. Somewhere between the 1000 and the pinnacle the port rigger goes, dumps a bunch of line then stops for a brief second or 2, I had already pushed the drag up when the fish starts to run and the line breaks. So very similar situation to Saturday, when the fish surges and the drag starts to slip, the line parts, makes me believe the pressure required to cause the drag to slip is greater than it has been set at. I set all drags the same, when maintaining the reels I use Cal's drag grease, been doing it for many years, but having two similar situations with similar end results, starting to question something I am doing, knots the same as they have been for 20 plus year, swivels pretty much the same (other than those low profile ones I had with the very small rings to tie to, all of those ended up in the garbage), I trust the scale I use for setting drag, same line 80# Suffix Superior been using for years. Any way enough whining, lost a new KC lure, got from slip neighbor Ken. 9" KC in Darth Vader
IMG_0999.jpg

Let's shorten this up some... Made some loops around the pinnacle, then headed it towards CO. Those who have been out recently has seen all the debris, certainly debris that should/could hold mahi. Get to CO makes some loops thru the area and head it back towards the middle. See a booby sitting on a stick, as we pass it see a mahis, throttle back, out of gear. Get 2 off the debris on wigglers and set back up. Pass over the pinnacle and make the final turn towards the barn; in a similar place to where we had the break off in the morning, the port rigger releases but doesn't pull any line, set it back up.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone with the details, but it helps with the story. To take a leak, we just pee off the transom; lift the top of the transom door and go. When you lift the door, it lays up against the stbd flat line and the rubber band is just outboard of the door. Well, you guessed it, standing there doing my duty (we are inside the 500 at this point), the stbd flat goes, fortunately I was astute enough to hold the door off the stbd flat line rod. see 100#ish blue doing crazy somersaults and ultimately frees himself. SOB!!! I start clearing lines as we are fairly close to the harbor, flats are cleared, corners are cleared when the port rigger goes... Well now??? It's easy to get the rest cleared Eric has the gear on and is ready for battle, this fish is staying deep, boat out of gear and they are at somewhat of a stand off. Not seeing that tell-tale thump of an ahi tail, when it doubt, when you finally see that steady slow beat at the rod tip, there's always relief, well that never happened. Pretty sure it was a marlin, after 20-25 minutes, she unbuttons. We are right on the 300 fathom curve, something about that area. Happy with the 2 mahi, disappointed about the other end results...
IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Cheers
Pat

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Glad you had action!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Wow Pat and Mike,
You guys definitely had your share of strikes but see your disappointment in the outcome. Never the less, two mahis are definitely Better than the alternative “bolo”. Only wish I could draw that many big strikes in a day!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Glad you had action!
Agreed, just wish the results were a little bit better.
Wow Pat and Mike,
You guys definitely had your share of strikes but see your disappointment in the outcome. Never the less, two mahis are definitely Better than the alternative “bolo”. Only wish I could draw that many big strikes in a day!
Thanks Russ, yep the mahi ate up just fine.
Good going Pat and crew. I know the feeling.
Thanks Ron.
Nice report Pat!!!! Like I was almost there
Thanks Tommy, you can probably appreciate the peeing part of the story.

Cheers
Pat