Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
Left the MCRD boat ramp at 7:15am or so, got to the Islands around 8:15am and started trolling some X-raps. Saw that some of the boats going there were getting yellowtail, hit or miss, so I figured I'd give it a shot this early...

Water temp was barely 60 degrees, so I wasn't too optimistic, and with good cause. Radio chatter indicated nobody else was having any luck, either. Around noon, I gave it up and decided to switch to the bottom and pulled up a bunch of good sized whitefish and sculpin off the southeast end of the north island.

Didn't get what I hoped for, but didn't come home smellin' like skunk.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Thanks for the report Shawn. We fished LJ on Saturday hoping for an early YT or 2 and it was sloooooow. Makes me feel a lil better knowing the Nados were slow too. At least you salvaged something for the table.

Still glad we all got out because dry hooks dont get bit.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
A day on the water is a good day.

Your bonus is fish.

Sea Runner

Aug 22, 2008
123 & West
Name
jP
Boat
OPB
Also at the islands on 4/15 on a 3/4 boat. We drove around for over 4 hours scanning for TY in cold, roiled up water on the SE side of the south isl... looking for Wednesday's numbers. Finally... a couple of RC drifts yielded over what turned out to be a nursery. Very few (CA) legals and lotza 7-10" fish were taken... left me wondering. As the slack approached the boat moseyed over to the NW side of the north island w/ about 30 minutes of fishing time left. At least the water looked better and we anchored up around some marks. One reasonable ling popped from a yoyo on the slide. Two of the three hook ups there in the time left were UIF's lost. One on the yoyo, one of the FL. with one 14" TY boated.... and... then off to the barn. I gave away two 14" reds to some guy from ONT. ...

It was good to get out.... and so it goes...

Last edited: