Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat
    No
    Welp. Early season trips can be hit or miss and this one stung a little.

Took off from the docks 7pm on Tuesday and headed south. Could tell the it was a wide variety mix of guys on the trip who just like myself were all excited from the previous 2 days counts. High expectations and thought we would have our chance at bluefin.

Most everyone on the trip had been bluefin fishing before so all in all the tackle brief was short and skipper told us how the previous day they weren’t expecting 100# fish and had plenty of hook ups but only landed about 8. Took that as a good sign as mostly everyone had come prepared with at least an #80 setup.

Headed to sleep around 9 while enroute down south. At 3am we all heard the motors shut off and grabbed the rods ready to go. Unfortunately it was a false alarm and no sign of fish.

Most of the day went the same and all in all i think we spent about 45 minutes at the rail total. One short stop where 6 rat yellowtail were landed and besides that nada. Captain was searching hard and we must have covered a good 200 miles of ground looking. Weather really moved these fish around quick and not a lot of other boats out there to assist with the search.

Other than that, trip was O.K. Food was good. State rooms were nice but unfortunately I got stuck with a top bunk with little to no room above me. I slept horrible due to the fact that I couldn’t even roll over on the side. Small things to gripe about but a bad nights rest and not catching any fish isn’t the most exciting. Shame on the engineer who made a bunk with no room to roll on your side tho. That sucked.

To better luck next time...

Last edited:

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat
    No
    I was logged in booking the last spot Tuesday morning and after having to update my credit card went to check out. Hit pay and was given the message someone just booked the last spot. Guess I lucked out on this one.
    Yup old glory did a little better than us and found a patty full of yellows and 6 bluefin.

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Thanks for taking the time to report. Bad luck on the timing. Thanks for the "Heads Up" (Conk; get it? Ha Ha) about the top bunk. Are these assigned first signed up/first choice, or do you have to get in line early to get a bottom bunk? I'm heading out on Shogun May 19-23 for my first trip on this boat.

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat
    No
    Thanks for taking the time to report. Bad luck on the timing. Thanks for the "Heads Up" (Conk; get it? Ha Ha) about the top bunk. Are these assigned first signed up/first choice, or do you have to get in line early to get a bottom bunk? I'm heading out on Shogun May 19-23 for my first trip on this boat.

Yeah just one of those days where luck wasn’t on our side. you can show up early to the landing and pick a bunk and room. I’m not sure if all the top bunks are like that but the one in the room 6 which I was in was. I was with 2 buddies and we had the state room to ourselves and I was the one who just said whatever bunk works without realizing.

It had to do with being towards the side of the boat. I would suggest picking a middle bunk towards the middle of the boat. The top bunks on the side of the boat is maybe where the plumbing is located and is what took up half the space. It was manageable but uncomfortable.

I’m sure your May trip will be great. The cook really made the trip worthwhile and it seemed like he never stopped cooking. Think he managed to squeeze in 6 or 7 meals on a 1.5 which is pretty impressive.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

TJBertram

Jul 25, 2005
    Tijuana, Mex.
    Name
    Dodi
    Boat
    50 Bertram Conquistadora
    Yeah...happens. I was on a 3 day on the Searcher last summer looking for BFT. Boat caught maybe a total 6 and I came back with 3 decent size yellowtail. Not exactly what I would have wanted but such is fishing - at least it was something....Best of luck next time!

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat
    No
    Yeah...happens. I was on a 3 day on the Searcher last summer looking for BFT. Boat caught maybe a total 6 and I came back with 3 decent size yellowtail. Not exactly what I would have wanted but such is fishing - at least it was something....Best of luck next time!
    Yup. Especially bluefin fishing. Gotta get back out there again soon and keep trying. Will make my next one all the better.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Thanks for taking the time to report in. Heading out tomorrow for a few days. After I get my limit I'll try really hard to work on your limit as well (JK).

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Was this late July? 23rd to 26th? If so, we were on the same trip. Found one kelp patty that produced the YT.

Upvote 0

TJBertram

Jul 25, 2005
    Tijuana, Mex.
    Name
    Dodi
    Boat
    50 Bertram Conquistadora
    Was this late July? 23rd to 26th? If so, we were on the same trip. Found one kelp patty that produced the YT.
    Yeah! Exactly....departed 7/23. Haha, what a coincidence!
    I remember somebody hooked up on a big BFT with 40lb test and the captain fought it for 2 hours until it broke off....

Reactions: chilidip
    Upvote 0

Findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
    OC
    Name
    James
    Boat
    1974 Blackman 20'
    Sounds like a good trip. Variables that can be controlled were done and Captain tried hard to put you on fish. If food sucked and if the deck hands were disrespectful, that's a different story. Better luck next time with the catching. No pun intended.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Yeah! Exactly....departed 7/23. Haha, what a coincidence!
    I remember somebody hooked up on a big BFT with 40lb test and the captain fought it for 2 hours until it broke off....
    Yep, first night we went 0 for 2 and the 2nd night, the 2 guys were able to haul their fish in. Jackpot winner used a penn senator 4/0, while the other guy was using a tailca 20 if I recall. The senator took an hour and a half, while the guy fishing the tac brought it in about 20 minutes. Senator was 123 and the tac was 121lbs.. basically twins.

Upvote 0