4/14/19

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Mike and I pushed off around 5:15, wind a little too strong for a good shot at bait. There had been some rumors of fish out front so thought we'd give it a try. Maybe 1.5M before S slowed and set the spread... Meandered out to the 1000 looked left and right, most birds heading right, so we'll follow. Get up to the 90's and decide to head back down south.

The birds we had followed up north just kept going. As we got more towards the middle, now start seeing some heading down south. When get outside Nanakuli, finally find our first pile; it's late morning. Part of the rumor; it was an early bite. So not very hopeful. Plenty of life on this side, at least we got a chance.

It's around noon, Mike and I in the tower. I say to Mike here take it, do what you want, I'm gonna go down below. As I step off the tower I see a half dozen Terns doing their typical flutter nonsense. I fondly call them Mutha Effin Bubble Chasers. Mike heads towards them, I'm on the back deck when the stbd flat #64 rubber band disintegrates in a micro second; nothing like standing right next to that.
IMG_0278.JPG

Mike helps clear a couple lines, then gets the gear on. I finish clearing the back deck. The "killing field" at the ready. Due to the sea state, Kai'Nana's beam/deep V/tower; I leave one engine in gear. She can heave plenty, makes stand up difficult. Mike does a bang up job, get the rod detached from the harness, get the youngin' to leader and Mike sticks the gaff CHEEE!!!
IMG_0279.JPG

Spend some more time out there huntin', but happy with the critter. Get tied up around 3, clean up, cut fish, hele on.
IMG_0280.JPG

Oh yea, 9"chrome jet sucked in close gets it done.

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

Surfdawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 4, 2013
Kailua
Name
Mike
Boat
Blackfin 29' Flybridge
Nice one Pat and Mike!! On a chrome jet even, very nice fish Congrats.

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Kai Nana's on the yellows again. Like you said in the HFN article, chrome jets still work.

Reactions: conor

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Pat and Mike, no easy task in those windy conditions. Awesome work getting her decks bloody.

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
Nice work Pat!

Way to brave the conditions and put yoyrself on the board with an early start!

We call those White/Fairy Tern 'BS birds' cause usually they are full of it, picking off little 1.5-3" fish/squid, but sometimes they point out that rubbish piles, or something mo betta.

Standup Ahi in bumpy seas is no joke.

John

KIWI808

Jul 28, 2009
Hawaii Kai
Name
mark Kalaugher
Boat
745 Extreme
Nice one !
Getting close to joining you out there.
Cheers !

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Good goin Pat!

shbite

kailua lures
Apr 8, 2009
kailua hi
Name
steve
Boat
19 glass pro
Good job Pat heard some got one at j buoy today. I'm laid up with my carpal tunnel surgery for a month so please keep those stories coming aloha

Free Bill

Nov 16, 2017
Oahu
Name
Kyle
Boat
27 Grady
Nice work. Stand up style is so much more rewarding too.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Nice one Pat and Mike!! On a chrome jet even, very nice fish Congrats.
Thanks Mike, there's at least one in the spread at all times, chrome that is.
Kai Nana's on the yellows again. Like you said in the HFN article, chrome jets still work.
Thanks Steven, yep plain-Jane, but effective.
Pat and Mike, no easy task in those windy conditions. Awesome work getting her decks bloody.
Thanks Darren, it was bumpy, outside would have been miserable.
Nice work Pat!

Way to brave the conditions and put yoyrself on the board with an early start!

We call those White/Fairy Tern 'BS birds' cause usually they are full of it, picking off little 1.5-3" fish/squid, but sometimes they point out that rubbish piles, or something mo betta.

Standup Ahi in bumpy seas is no joke.

John
Thanks John, about <5% of the time, those bubble chasers produce, always give them a look. Mike's a surfer, he has excellent balance.
Nice one !
Getting close to joining you out there.
Cheers !
Thanks Kiwi, you're getting closer; really like the looks w/ some finish on your new ride, red will show up nicely on the back deck.
Good goin Pat!
Thanks Justin.
Good job Pat heard some got one at j buoy today. I'm laid up with my carpal tunnel surgery for a month so please keep those stories coming aloha
Thanks Steve and speedy recovery. Interesting about J buoy.
Nice work. Stand up style is so much more rewarding too.
Thanks Kyle, stand up trips my trigger, realizing its not for everyone...

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: jkvshooter

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"

conor

Nov 9, 2010
Oahu
Name
Ohana o Kai
Boat
20 ft. Pioneer
Great report Pat and congrats on another solid ahi. It put a smile on my face that it hit a chrome jet, beautiful.