Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
If any deckhand on a 3/4 sport boat ever got bleach on my tuxedo or $15,000.oo custom wrapped quiver with balanced and blue printed prototype reels I'd prolly feel kinda stupid.

I look forward to Booger putting me on some fish this season.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
I’ve seen bleach used on many sport boats. They just ask the passengers to move somewhere else so they can clean. These are 12 hour trips that the crew is doing daily. These San Diego trips commonly stay out late working hard to get more fish if it’s been a tough day. Yesterday my 5:30-5:30 trip arrived at the dock around 7:30. It’s not reasonable to expect them to take time after to clean. Besides, I don’t think they’d be allowed to used the cleaners and bleach while at the dock.

It's reasonable because the boat has to be hit with fresh water back at the dock anyways no good deck hand is going to be a big cry baby about taking 10 minutes to hit the cabin sides after everyone is off the boat. It's much easier because you don't have to worry about "over-stacking" and damaging expensive tackle.

And there are many boat soap type cleaners approved for boaters to use inside the harbors in California....I like Dawn they use it on baby ducklings lol. You must of missed the pics of the hay bale of rods pinned against the edge of the stainless steel bow pulpit on the pitching bow all to save ten minutes of cabin scrubbing back at the dock. They'll figure it out some day...sir. Bill Poole taught me all of these rules way back...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Risky to use bleach with passengers on board
And there are many boat soap type cleaners approved for boaters to use inside the harbors in California....I like Dawn
so you ran a sportboat and never let the crew use bleach on the boat...
I'll bet they loved you for that...
Especially when you had squirts...

Reactions: Capt Devo
Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
so you ran a sportboat and never let the crew use bleach on the boat...
I'll bet they loved you for that...
Especially when you had squirts...

When all the passengers are off the boat we bleached the decks and scrubbed the sides of the cabin usually on the way to the fuel dock or back but never with passengers aboard... why is that bad?

Reactions: ror_sal and miaf
Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
When all the passengers are off the boat we bleached the decks and scrubbed the sides of the cabin usually on the way to the fuel dock or back but never with passengers aboard... why is that bad?
Certainly not bad however very unusual .. hope your passengers appreciated the extra effort...

Reactions: Capt Devo
Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
many p From half day to long range, every boat I've been on moves rods to clean. What you do on your own private boat or 6 packs is totally different
Interesting. Every boat I've been on, from twilight to long range, the crew has never moved my rods. They make an announcement, wait a while until everyone has put their gear away, then wash to boat. OR, they simply wait until everyone has left the boat. I have seen only one exception to this, and that's when they encounter rough weather, and the crew has to quickly move all the rods to a safe and secure location.

I have never seen a pile of rods in the bow like what was posted just to wash the boat. But then again I don't fish 150+ days a year like some of you guys.

Reactions: dstinger
Upvote 0

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
Waverunner FX cruiser, hobie kayak
Go fish the grande then
I will. This is my second time fishing out of sea forth and both times they piled the rods in the bow. First time I thought it was a fluke or an isolated incidence. But not I’m convinced this is standard operating procedures for the landing. My buddies wanted to try another boat.

And I fail to see how breaking down my gear and stowing the rod in a sock would protect it from a guide being broken off? What then at least I would have the guide to repair it later instead of loosing it completely?

And what? Be greatful I still had the parts to repair it?

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
you guys that are defending this behavior are in denial......Rods like that are ridicious and the passports.....Well anyone ever lose one? Its a major pain in the ass not to mention if it gets in the wrong hands can be very very bad. And to think that everyone that goes on these boats is law abiding haha.....

Reactions: popx5 and ColdEye
Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
you guys that are defending this behavior are in denial......Rods like that are ridicious and the passports.....Well anyone ever lose one? Its a major pain in the ass not to mention if it gets in the wrong hands can be very very bad. And to think that everyone that goes on these boats is law abiding haha.....
I’m not defending this behavior, I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal. If the equipment was damaged in any way I could see complaining. Apparently the captain didn’t like the rod pile up, as another guy said the deckhand got chewed out for it.

There could be different ways to hand the passports back but I don’t see this way as a problem. The notion that the crew, who just spent over 12 hours working constantly, and will do the same every day for the foreseeable future, should wait till the boat docks to clean is utterly ridiculous and selfish. Besides the fact that with all the boats doing the same things, the water around the docks would be full of suds, and the port authority would immediately stop the practice. They may already have.

Upvote 0

impreza619

Fish or Cut Bait
Jul 10, 2007
La Jolla
Name
E
Boat
Kencraft
OP how about when the capt announces the fishing is over and are that anal about scratching your Tranx and etc... cut the jigs/hooks off, bundle up the rods put them in a sock, take of the reels off and put them in your backpack for security and safety and let the damn crew get along with cleaning the boat while you watch and enjoy a nice ride home.

Im sure the deckhand did not throw or maliciously tried to pile your rods up and break your shit. Im sure he put the rods back where he found them and so no harm no foul. They were just trying to do their job quickly and thoroughly after working a long 16 hr day for way less pay than they actually deserve. They do a job that they love and aren't trying to get rich or piss off anyone.

I have many rode many LR boats from 1-14 days and piling up and bundling up rods to clean up is standard practice. Long range boats will even use semi clean trash cans sometimes to keep them together and in order after a long trip in order to get everysquare inch of a boat clean.

Better yet, get your own boat and scratch your tranx on there yourself. Don't bash a mans business over a trivial concern, go talk to him in person like a grown adult and work it out. Same with the passports, talk to the capt and work it out as well. Rant off...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Certainly not bad however very unusual .. hope your passengers appreciated the extra effort...

That's whats so funny it is "no extra effort at all" to not have to move everyone's expensive rods we simply spot scrubbed the cabin when we rinsed the boat off with fresh water back at the dock. Bill Poole insisted this on our "short trips" on the longer trips we would move the rods a few at a time and put them back in the same spot to avoid confusion the next bite. We were never big cry babies because we were over worked and tired we did it how we were told to.

Who want to be the guy who's rods were the ones pinned down against the sharp edge of that stainless steel bow pulpit shown in the pics? But if fishing is good you can get away with a lot of this destructive BS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
I saw this post on Monday night and it got my interest because I was fishing the San Diego the next day - Tuesday. And that would be yesterday. Because of the post I decided to pay attention to what would happen on the two main issues: 1) moving rods, and 2) Passport returns. For those that know me or have fished with me you know I that all trips seriously (from local to LR to PV). I fish with good gear, all custom rods and I fish as hard as anyone on the boat. So on this trip I was in “watch” mode.

What I observed was absolutely 100% acceptable......no issues at all! They did more the rods to wash the house but it was done with a few in each hand. They were layed out in the bow so none were on top of each other. My opinion is this was not an issue and yes I have seen it done on many other trips from local to LR. The second issue was Passports on the table in the galley. It too was the same as I have seen before on trips where Passports were required. For me personally, neither the rod movement or the Passport return were issues.

Now as far as fishing the San Diego, my experience yesterday was the owner/ operator was outstanding in his communication through out the day, his fish finding ability and his overall professionalism. The crew was equally outstanding. They were polite, informative, managed the group that included first time tourist to experienced talent very well. They were never in the way and always were there when you needed them. The San Diego is a first class operation and its reputation is well earned.

Net/net: I found zero issues with the two complaints about moving rods and Passports. If you personally find them offensive simply pick another boat. If you do you will be doing the rest of us a favor by opening up sports on the top full day local sportboat in San Diego.

Luke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
I saw this post on Monday night and it got my interest because I was fishing the San Diego the next day - Tuesday. And that would be yesterday. Because of the post I decided to pay attention to what would happen on the two main issues: 1) moving rods, and 2) Passport returns. For those that know me or have fished with me you know I that all trips seriously (from local to LR to PV). I fish with good gear, all custom rods and I fish as hard as anyone on the boat. So on this trip I was in “watch” mode.

What I observed was absolutely 100% acceptable......no issues at all! They did more the rods to wash the house but it was done with a few in each hand. They were layed out in the bow so none were on top of each other. My opinion is this was not an issue and yes I have seen it done on many other trips from local to LR. The second issue was Passports on the table in the galley. It too was the same as I have seen before on trips where Passports were required. For me personally, neither the rod movement or the Passport return were issues.

Now as far as fishing the San Diego, my experience yesterday was the owner/ operator was outstanding in his communication through out the day, his fish finding ability and his overall professionalism. The crew was equally outstanding. They were polite, informative, managed the group that included first time tourist to experienced talent very well. They were never in the way and always were there when you needed them. The San Diego is a first class operation and its reputation is well earned.

Net/net: I found zero issues with the two complaints about moving rods and Passport. If you personally find them offensive simply pick another boat. If you do you will be doing the rest of us a favor by opening up sports on the top full day local sportboat in SanDiego.

Luke

Hay Stacking Rods against a sharp metal bow pulpit is cluster fuck and sportboat is spelled sport boat....just saying.

Upvote 0

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
It’s a shot in the dark per each trip. When I decked we never moved anyone’s gear. Sure we would take a couple out of the rod holders to clean blood off the house but would put them back immediately.

My last couple trips on sporties have turned me off of them. Had a deckhand on the new seaforth tell me to not bleed my fish cause it makes a mess and it doesn’t make a difference anyways.?.? Same guy was throwing ciggy butts in the water and I also watched him strip 5-6 reels and just snip the line off into the water so he could re spool his buddies gear. Thinking about it now I should of said something to RJ. But decided then and there to buy a skiff and do things my own way...you know... respectfully. I still jump on the occasional sporty when friends visit from the island. The Old Glory was amazing last year on an overnight. Professional and respectful.

I’m also sick of hearing “you know how hard those deckies work?” It’s their job that they signed up for. I work very hard every day as a plumber and building maintenance technician. Doesn’t mean I can be a dick to people around me and treat people’s stuff like shit. Imagine walking into someone’s house to do some plumbing repair and tracking mud everywhere and moving all their stuff without permission, then taking stacks of paper off a desk and just throwing it in a pile for them to sort through later... I’d be written up and or fired.

I agree with the OP being upset about this stuff. Sounds like laziness got in the way. A couple minutes of moving rods to scrub and replacing in same spot and someone re issuing passports to make sure everyone is settled in the galley, takes less time then everyone trying to find their shit. Passengers don’t just throw there cash in a pile for the galley and make him sort out what’s what.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.