Not open for further replies.

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
Waverunner FX cruiser, hobie kayak
Went out this weekend after a long hiatus this past Saturday. Looking to get in on the wide open yellowtail bite. Me and a buddy got on the San Diego out of seaforth. Which I ended up regretting.

The boat sold out. Bait tank was loaded with lively sardines maybe 4-6 inches before we got onboard. Wind was starting to pick up as we headed south looking for meter marks around the Coronado’s. Boat was packed. Handful of people puking out the gate.

Now for the fishing. The first stop of the day was the best. We pulled up, started chumming up the yellows and maybe 1/3 the boat hooks up. Surface, yo-yo, bait. But as soon as we had a couple hanging the floatilla was on our nuts and sunk them out. Had to move almost immediately. The rest of the day was the same. Pull up to some marks, small boats show up within casting range pick a couple and try again. I went 2 for 2 on the first two stops. Decent school or size. Nothing to brag about. Both on a blue and white surface jig.

Now for the part that pissed me the F&$K!!! OFF!!!

This was my first time fishing the San Diego, ive read nothing but good things. But I will not be back. The first 20 passengers that got on filled all the rocket launchers in the middle of the boat. That didn’t bother me. They had plenty of holders along side the galley. Here’s where I lost my Sh!t. On he way back in. They decided to scrub the boat. Nothing new, but with a packed boat and no place to stand. Pretty sh!tty. Whatever. Grab a beer head to the back. Then I see the port bow rod holders are all empty. Walk up to check it out. They pulled all the rods and piled them in the bow.

WTF??? Is this acceptable to anyone else? Without warning or some sort of announcement just take 50+ setups and pile them together. I was pissed off. I didn’t pay good money to have my rods and reels stacked on top of each other.

Here’s the second thing that really made me loose it. They requested we hand over our passports when we checked in. Seemed odd but they claimed we would get them back. Well on the way back in. They made an announcement to come to the galley and pickup your passport. So I head down and they just piled them on the table and it was a free for all. Everyone just looking threw all the passports looking for theirs. No deckhand handing them out.

WTFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!! This is some serious bullsh!t. The piling the rods in the bow happened to me when I road the seaforth a few years back. Which is why I haven’t been fishing that landing. But now I defenatly will not be returning.

Does this sound right to anyone else? How would you feel seeing your brand new tranx 500 In the middle of the pile?

DEF470E5-250E-4CD0-9BC1-525B58874693.jpeg 57294F9A-706D-4BFA-BDDE-6658D5116633.jpeg E6C23FEE-6825-4D54-8B07-42A21271CE64.jpeg 71ABC0C6-331C-4610-B5D4-E38685F73D25.jpeg 96B43D0E-5B45-4EEB-8D38-80E497C00C21.jpeg

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
Not defending anyone but did you bring it up with the captain or landing at the time? The answer does not make them right but I think the time to talk about it was both then and now. I would not be too happy either, especially for the rod guides if the boat was traveling. And the mis-handling of personal legal documents of course.

Reactions: OdessaDog
Upvote 0

chiefen

Jun 15, 2009
torrance ca US
Name
jake
Boat
parker 2320sl
Have no say on the passport part, but i've been on plenty of boats where they bundle up all the rods in a pile like that. Usually either in one of the corners of the stern, bow, or up on the top deck. Only way they'll be able to scrub the sides of the house without wrecking your rods and reels from the scrub brushes and bleach.

Upvote 0

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
I don't have a tranx 500....new or otherwise. :hali_parkutuli:

My time is extremely valuable. So instead of fishing I buy gear I don’t use. It’s an addiction.
Not defending anyone but did you bring it up with the captain or landing at the time? The answer does not make them right but I think the time to talk about it was both then and now. I would not be too happy either, especially for the rod guides if the boat was traveling. And the mis-handling of personal legal documents of course.
I talked to th deckhand about how that was fuct. And asked him if he stores his personal rods the same way at home. By th end of the long boat ride I was just ready to get off. But had to share.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Been on plenty of sporties, but never had my rods stacked in a pile like that mess. Rods guides can certainly get messed up, and nobody likes their expensive gear treated like that, unless they're weird.

The passport free-for-all, not good either. Shady people pay for things like that.

I would have used the opportunity while on the boat to voice my opinion (to the captain).

The part I don't get is that the boat was sold out, and it was packed! Go figure.

I'm serving cheddar popcorn in a few minutes...
giphy.gif

Reactions: ColdEye
Upvote 0

fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
The road pile shit pisses me off for sure, I hate when they do that shit. As for the passports they always keep them until the end of the trip But I have never seen them throw them in a pile on the table unattended they usually lay them out in rows and you can check for yours while paying your tab. It's a bummer that you had a shitty trip. I have always heard good about the San Diego

Upvote 0

scoop

100 Ton Captain
May 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Copper
Boat
Mako 184cc
If they don't move your rods they get all bleached up and beat up. How are they supposed to clean the boat? They shouldn't just bundle them up and treat them rough...but they have to do their job. The passport thing should be handed back to each individual when they settle their tab.
I kind of agree with your being upset...but those guys bust their asses and get paid very low wages and tips. They usually do a kick ass job and later get bad comments about the one or two things they didn't do right.
I worked those boats for 20+ years and my body couldn't take it now even if I wanted too. You need to talk to the captain and not just bad mouth the hard working crew if they aren't perfect. The captain needs to know what is going on so he can fix it.
Your gear is going to get beat up...or you aren't fishing right.
My advice...buy your own boat. Trust me...you will fish harder and your gear will get tore up even more! After all...isn't that what you bought it for?
The San Diego easily one of the top boats anywhere. Captain is the coolest guy but he can't help you if you don't talk to him.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Rods always get bundled like that. I pay attention and help the guys move the rods both just to help and stack them nice.

Passports are always kept....but usually handed out after settling any debt.

No reason to blow a top. Next time put a rod sock and reel cover if your worried about your gear.

A small sticker on your passport also helps to find it in a pile.

Reactions: Icantswim and scoop
Upvote 0

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
If they don't move your rods they get all bleached up and beat up. How are they supposed to clean the boat? They shouldn't just bundle them up and treat them rough...but they have to do their job. The passport thing should be handed back to each individual when they settle their tab.
I kind of agree with your being upset...but those guys bust their asses and get paid very low wages and tips. They usually do a kick ass job and later get bad comments about the one or two things they didn't do right.
I worked those boats for 20+ years and my body couldn't take it now even if I wanted too. You need to talk to the captain and not just bad mouth the hard working crew if they aren't perfect. The captain needs to know what is going on so he can fix it.
Your gear is going to get beat up...or you aren't fishing right.
My advice...buy your own boat. Trust me...you will fish harder and your gear will get tore up even more! After all...isn't that what you bought it for?
The San Diego easily one of the top boats anywhere. Captain is the coolest guy but he can't help you if you don't talk to him.

Your absolutely right. I should have talked to him. But honestly. I drank more then I should have. And it would not have been pretty. I kept my Shit together vented to a deckhand, still tipped the crew. I had just about as many beers as the casts I made.

Fishing’s fishing. The boat tried. But as far as protocol for handling gear, Fuk that. Many other boats have rod holders above the cabin ones where they just place them higher. Or what if thhey placed all the port rods leaning on the stern. Washed the port, replace. Then do starboard. Dumping both sides in the bow at once is not cool. I spent over 400$ that day.

Reactions: ColdEye and scoop
Upvote 0

wahoo_92606

• Dec 19, 2008
    Placentia/CA/Orange
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    18 Panga
    I charted the San Diego several times. I had very good experience with the crew and the captain. These guys worked extremely hard for their tips. Really sucked to see and hear these things from BD. I agree with most people here, these issues should be taken up with the captain.

Upvote 0

igotpron

Nov 30, 2010
    Riverside
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    I charted the San Diego several times. I had very good experience with the crew and the captain. These guys worked extremely hard for their tips. Really sucked to see and hear these things from BD. I agree with most people here, these issues should be taken up with the captain.

Whether or not I talked with the captain. I feel I owe it to the community to share my experience. The rods were In plain site of the wheel house. The passports came from the wheel house down by someone who was not a deckhand, or crewmeber. Brushing this under the rug was something I cannot do. I do not understand the absolute necessity to scrub all the boatt down before we hit the dock. Mishandling paying passengers gear without consent is garbage. Find another way or Get more rocket launchers. Or just wait to scrub the rest of the boat at the dock.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Whether or not I talked with the captain. I feel I owe it to the community to share my experience. The rods were In plain site of the wheel house. The passports came from the wheel house down by someone who was not a deckhand, or crewmeber. Brushing this under the rug was something I cannot do. I do not understand the absolute necessity to scrub all the boatt down before we hit the dock. Mishandling paying passengers gear without consent is garbage. Find another way or Get more rocket launchers. Or just wait to scrub the rest of the boat at the dock.

I'm in 100% complete agreement with the Op of this thread.
    I would most definitely be very pissed off if my gear that ive busted ass to buy with my hard earned money was treated like that without me being warned or notified beforehand.

Sorry man, but that's straight BS, unexceptable and a very poor way to handle customers gear. Big time fail on customer service right there imo.

As far as those saying he should have brought it up to the captain. Sure, maybe so, but then again, once the gear is all thrown together, it's a little late for that.

I rarely ever ride sportboats, but if I did, the info he put out would be GREATLY appreciated by myself and im quite sure many others.

Clean well kept gear does not at all mean someone doesn't fish hard! That's just a joke of a statement right there. I know plenty of guys and myself included who are very much into keeping our gear as pristine and nice as possible. I've been like this with everything I own.......I take good care of most of my things that I've spent my good hard earned money on.

I would never allow any business of mine to treat my customers belongings in such a horrible and disrespectful way.....never!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Personally I do not like bleach and soap on my reels. Bleach on colored mono

After the fishing part is done.

I check my reels to see if I should let some line out off the stern and re pack.

Then I take my reels off the rods.

Then I put the rods into rod socks because most cosmetic damage occurs durring transport. Especially in the back of a pick up truck

I then bundle all the rods together and velcro strap them all together.

Then I find a place to put them during the drive back to port.

Using the above steps is a way to take care of a anglers personal gear. While minimizing complaints

Makes cleaning the boat easier also

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Damn!
    Its not too late to throw in a couple pics of dead fish...was it really that bad?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Well of course but most have not. I was bothered the first time my rods were all put in the bow with reels on like 1991. After a blood bath. Then realized they did me a favor because I was not taking my reels off after fishing. Still wasn't stoked so found a good system imo.

The crew needs to be back at the boat at least one hour before departure, the following day. Do the sleep math.

The dryer blood gets the harder it is to scrub off and they still have fish to cut

All good dude

Reactions: scoop
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.