joey997

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2020
Nevada City
Name
Joey Hernandez
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2150
I have been out a few times so far this salmon season and have picked up some nice fish on the river by my house landed one on Sunday lost one on Monday that was huge and landed a really nice 38" fish that was all chrome and weighed 25.2# caught this morning around 7am.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Great catch, out of curiosity, why was it necessary to keep thumbing the spool and making so many drag adjustment?.

Reactions: joey997

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Yeah, that was making me nervous too! And I like to adjust my drag.

Nice Sam, man!

Good Fishin'!
BDC OK

joey997

Jan 19, 2020
Nevada City
Name
Joey Hernandez
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2150
Great catch, out of curiosity, why was it necessary to keep thumbing the spool and making so many drag adjustment?.
I think I actually thumbed the spool actually once when he took me deep down river and I could see the tape on my spool and need to walk back with the thumb on the spool to gain some line. I also just hold the rod/reel that way with the thumb hovering over my spool looks like I'm thumbing the spool the entire time lol. Also I just got this Shimano Genpu XT200 reel which is a JDM model with only 14 pounds of drag and its really sensitive and this was only the 2nd salmon I fought with it and just kept making adjustments. Usually I leave the drag around 4-6#s and then tighten when needed when they run down river to much drag will lose the fish not enough you'll get spooled. The day before I lost a fish that was well over 30+ lbs because I got spooled when he ran up river.

joey997

Jan 19, 2020
Nevada City
Name
Joey Hernandez
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2150
Yeah, that was making me nervous too! And I like to adjust my drag.

Nice Sam, man!

Good Fishin'!
BDC OK
I get you! I also had lost a fish early in the day he broke my 30# braid mainline so I was down to about half my spool and I tied on about 75 more yards of braid with a uni knot didn't want to respool my reel on the spot and the uni knot was right there on top and that is also why I thumbed it. I could tell the fish was good sized and didn't want to chance losing it due to knot failure overall I felt lucky to land the fish and didn't want to have the knot fail on me. Respooled it that night and caught a 24.55 36" salmon the very next morning 2nd cast at 6:05 am! Posted a few fillet shots as well insane quality on these early season river fish as good as most the ocean fish I caught except the early season krill fed fish!

DE1C5E60-4F12-4294-9BE4-7CCDFDA79E2A.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Omarkayak

joey997

Jan 19, 2020
Nevada City
Name
Joey Hernandez
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2150
F'n solid fish, nice work!
Thank you sir! Wish it was a BFT instead of a salmon I need to get down to SD in the next few weeks! I want to land a cow before the year ends!

eliner

Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat
E-LINER
Nice, but you should only get spooled once. I had a monster once on a bass reel and got a look and he was gone, nothing I could do to slow it down. I have learned to over estimate gear now. Line capacity number one. Nice fish