371 Fishing and Mex Navy check on 10-10-19.

stanky1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
Took my 17 ft CC solo to 371 leaving sooo early that I had to wake up the bait barge guy. He still gave me some nice bait that lasted all day.

YFT still biting maybe 5 miles short of 371. I got 3 in 20 to 25 lb range; one on chunk, 2 on bait. I should have done better, but I was satisfied with 3. The weather kept getting better as the day went on, so it was a good time even between bites.

On my way back to Shelter Island I saw breaking tuna about 6 miles out from SD Bay buoy #1. Of course, I stopped to try my luck. There was a small cabin cruiser that was running full speed from boil to boil with a guy casting from the bow. It didn't look too successful, but it was entertaining to watch. I drifted and threw out my last few sardines on light lines. I got picked up twice but both times the fish chewed through. Oh well, it would have been nice to get one in US waters, but not today I guess.

I started back on my way to the harbor with San Diego looking very close. A boat maybe 1/2 mile ahead in my path started to come straight at me in a purposeful manner. Then a guy on the boat started waving for me to stop. I was thinking maybe it was Homeland Security or the Harbor Police. Nope. It was the Mexican Navy patrol boat. Oh crap, I was just fishing within 14 miles and carried only a Mex fishing license and passport. Plus I had cut the heads and tails off my fish so they would fit in my cooler, and I couldn't remember if that was going to be an issue.

Anyway, they were very professional and seemed to be ok with my fishing license alone. They had me sign something that the officer said was a statement that I had been checked and all was good. They took a picture of me and my boat, which struck me as odd, and let me go. No more than 10 minutes total.

They must have been sitting right on the border line. I did look at my GPS before I got underway again and saw that I was still in Mexican waters..barely. The reason I write this report is mostly to remind everyone to watch their location closely if not prepared with the documents necessary to fish Mexico.

Last edited:

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
Wow that's the first time i've ever heard of the MX navy camping on the border.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
It can be deceiving. The line seems close with the point in clear view.
The few times I have been stopped (never on the line) I have only been met with professionalism and courtesy. Of course I also had all my docs. Thanks for the heads up

QuailSlayer

Aug 3, 2014
Coastal - San Diego North County
Name
jj
Boat
Got one
3873E33D-CBD6-40E1-AE9C-A79775218E15.jpeg
Nice report squid Mark. Glad to hear you had a good outcome and that all was professional. Ironically when I checked AIS reports yesterday I saw their boat and actually hand wrote in a note on them. In the morning they were active east of the islands. But in the morning and the evening hit the border which I had not seen before. We had a nice trip today down south with no issues / stops and stuck to the local laws as always. Thx for the post.

Reactions: killintime

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Yesterday while fishing with a bunch of other boats just NE of the 371 a Blackhawk helicopter painted semi-flat black with a narrow gold stripe along the fuselage but without insignia's or numbers did a slow circle over the area. I thought it could've been some kind of Mexican enforcement agency doing a quick lookie-see.

chiefen

Jun 15, 2009
torrance ca US
Name
jake
Boat
parker 2320sl
Question, let’s say in this case you see Mexican navy headed towards you. Should you get on the radio Chanel 16 and inform the us coast guard that your getting approached by Mexican authority to be checked and possibly boarded? Or is that not a good idea?

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Since you were so close to the boarder, I wonder if they would have chased you into US waters had you not stopped. Btw- I’m not suggesting this.

Reactions: Bbolton

stanky1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 11, 2009
Carlsbad
Name
Squid Mark
Boat
Scout 175 Sportfish
I didn't recognize that they were the Mexican Navy until they were pretty close and I was already shut down. So there was no chance to make a run for it even if the border was less than a mile away. That boat of theirs is like a floating tank, but fast. No way I could outrun it and if they rammed my boat they would win. Not to mention that I can't outrun a bullet if they went that route.

They saw my passport in my box of documents from a distance. I offered to hand it over and the officer declined.

John S.

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Just keep your paperwork altogether in one zip sealable plastic envelope to speed the review process up. I have never seen them that close to the border. Just around the islands.

John

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
a Blackhawk helicopter painted semi-flat black with a narrow gold stripe along the fuselage but without insignia's or numbers did a slow circle over the area. I thought it could've been some kind of Mexican enforcement agency doing a quick lookie-see.
US Customs & Border Patrol

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Grady-White 208 Adventure
Yesterday while fishing with a bunch of other boats just NE of the 371 a Blackhawk helicopter painted semi-flat black with a narrow gold stripe along the fuselage but without insignia's or numbers did a slow circle over the area. I thought it could've been some kind of Mexican enforcement agency doing a quick lookie-see.
I've flown on that bird many times, it's the CBP AMO UH-60. Nice ride... if only my boat was that fast and smooth.

Reactions: Can't Parker

Billy V

Seabass Commando
Aug 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
Question, let’s say in this case you see Mexican navy headed towards you. Should you get on the radio Chanel 16 and inform the us coast guard that your getting approached by Mexican authority to be checked and possibly boarded? Or is that not a good idea?
It’s their country and they have the right to stop you and board you. Just keep your paperwork handy.

Reactions: chiefen

DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
It’s their country and they have the right to stop you and board you. Just keep your paperwork handy.
I believe they only have that right to board you inside their 12 mile limit. When the 6 pack boat ran into the Bluefin pen around the Hidden, the Coast Guard told the 6 pack crew Do Not Let Them Board Your Vessel and the arriving CG Helicopter took drastic measures which kept the Mexican Navy from boarding the 6 Pack.

SwillFish

Jun 14, 2011
san diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Tintantic
Does anyone know if a Passport Card is sufficient in lieu of an actual passport? It's much easier to carry and you don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Does anyone know if a Passport Card is sufficient in lieu of an actual passport? It's much easier to carry and you don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged.
I only carry a copy of my passport but bring my CA drivers license.

If that's not enough for our CG, I will recite lesser known movie lines from Clerks plus well known TV lines from Friends.

Reactions: Vibora