oishi

Socal
Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Name
crum
Boat
27ft mako
left shelter island with couple buddy's of mine and my friend from 33rd way productions. He wanted to play around with his drone and cameras to make a small clip. Went to couple of banks for nothing much. 371 had dodos wide open until another boat ran right on us and shut the bite down. Managed 7 dodos from that paddy water was 73 degrees. Then moved down to the 425 saw tunas plunking here and there for nothing water was 69 degrees. Then headed towards the hidden, between there saw a paddy loaded with rat yellowtails. Caught about 15 then called in some other boats to take over water was 69 degrees then got to the hidden for 1 skipjack and 1 yft looked dead there no life water was 66-67 degrees. Seemed colder but was hoping that the cold waters would have bft. The winds seemed a bit choppy with big swells in the afternoon. Good luck out there. Fish on.

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Please tell me you threw those yellowtail back. Those are like, 2 pounders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sardine
Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Keeping those are sad, let them get to at least 12 lbs before you keep them. You coild of used a sabki rig to catch those, I've seen mackerel bigger. :(

Reactions: Errin
    Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Who cares whether they kept them or not. They are legal and the big breeders are more important to the yellowtail numbers than the dinks

I've seen a lot of dink yellows and dorado kept this year (and every year), and I could care less. There are rats......but then there are mice. No self-respecting sportsman should ever keep a 2-3 lb yellowtail, let alone make a youtube video about it. I don't mean to be a troll, I keep my mouth shut plenty around here.....but c'mon man. 🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I've seen a lot of dink yellows and dorado kept this year (and every year), and I could care less. There are rats......but then there are mice. No self-respecting sportsman should ever keep a 2-3 lb yellowtail, let alone make a youtube video about it. I don't mean to be a troll, I keep my mouth shut plenty around here.....but c'mon man. 🤦‍♂️
    That's a video to show your kids and be proud of!:shake:

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I would most likely of set them free.
    But I do not eat much or keep many fish caught on my skiff.
    Some people love fish.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    I sure hope they kept them (as is their legal right)after bouncing the shit out of them. With the music I was all pumped. Thought it was going to be epic!!

Upvote 0

oishi

Socal
    Jul 2, 2010
    los angeles
    Name
    crum
    Boat
    27ft mako
    Troll! Kept a few to eat.....now stop hating and go fish. 132 miles ocean searching and 140 miles drive down from north yeah i plan to bring something home. Sorry if I hurt you feelings aquaman but will let them go next time. Thank you for your concern.

Reactions: Rabid Fish
    Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Troll! Kept a few to eat.....now stop hating and go fish. 132 miles ocean searching and 140 miles drive down from north yeah i plan to bring something home. Sorry if I hurt you feelings aquaman but will let them go next time. Thank you for your concern.

🙄 👍

Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    My ole uncle, who first taught me fishin and huntin, said "Son, ya eat what ya kill." IF THE SMALL YELLOWS ARE LEGAL, then as long as they are eaten, I don't have a problem. Tho I ain't never had a such a small yeller, I imagine they would give a decent size fillet, no? (Heck, I've eaten 10 7 inch buttermouth perch or opaleye or, in fresh, bluegill.)

The poster above who said that the larger, breeding YT are key to keeping up the species was correct. It's a lot harder to release a 25lb YT than a 4 pounder, but you are helping the population more if you do.
    [ Poortennar, C., S. Hooker, N. Sharp. 2001. Assessment of yellowtail kingfish (Seriola lalandi lalandi) reproductive physiology, as a basis for aquaculture development. Aquaculture, 201(3-4): 271-286.
    Moran, D., C. Smith, B. Gara, C. Poortennar. 2007. Reproductive behaviour and early development in yellowtail kingfish (Seriola lalandi Valenciennes 1833). Aquaculture, 262(1): 95-104. ]

And I, for one, liked the video. It was kinda neat to see folks having fun just catching some fish.

Upvote 0

Latest posts