PENN

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
Left MB with a really nice 1/2 scoop of sardines at 5am. Headed towards 371. Stopped on a large patty west of Coronado for yt on 25lb test live bait.
Wouldn't touch 30. Lost one, gaffed the next. Left the biting yellowtail in hopes of bft. Mistake. Got to 371, didn't see much. Located the large fleet south of 425 so went there and drifted with the fleet for 3-4 hours for nothing. Saw the tribute gaff a few 20-30lb bft. Frustrating. I don't think we chummed enough. Saw a few marks deep like 200ft. We tried sinker rigs, flyline, flat falls, nothing. Never tried 30lb test tho. I'm still learning. We got bored and left for Coronado island , ok the way we found some large bonito school in Coronado canyon we chased them around and caught 2. 10lbs. That was fun. Got to Coronado , trolled a rapala through and caught a long barracuda.

Back in the harbor by 5pm. Burned 52 gallons of gas, pretty good! I think we covered around 110 miles. Very nice and calm.seas. best weekend weather window of 2021 if you ask me!

*Forgot to add the bloodydeck photo

IMG_20210619_151601159_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Well multi species day! Right on! Them BF are keyed in on 20/25/30lb with size 1 circle hooks... 100yards off the boat.. every time! You'll get them next time! There's a huge volume of fish here. Finally
BTW I've been gone for 4 weekends, gas in MB is now $5.25 a gallon 😡
Get it on land because it's over $6 at the fuel docks

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0

whosmatt

Almost A Member
Feb 25, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Matt
Boat
17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
We hit the islands on the way back, too. I was in the whaler Montauk 170. Same story.
The islands are full of barracuda right now. I caught them pretty much everywhere. Also caught yellowtail, and watched a boat blast through the middle grounds with a guy on the tower watching and they drove right over biting yellows.

• Haha
Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    The islands are full of barracuda right now. I caught them pretty much everywhere. Also caught yellowtail, and watched a boat blast through the middle grounds with a guy on the tower watching and they drove right over biting yellows.
    I was out last Wednesday as well. Just islands. Monster cuds all over. Few YT sightings, but no takers. A 600lb+ seal almost came into my boat for a cuda. Scary.

Reactions: whosmatt
    Upvote 0

whosmatt

Almost A Member
    Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
    I was out last Wednesday as well. Just islands. Monster cuds all over. Few YT sightings, but no takers. A 600lb+ seal almost came into my boat for a cuda. Scary.
    Yeah I farmed a couple yt to the sea lions today and a couple barracuda last week when I was having a blast catching them on surface iron.
    Anyone reading this who wants barracuda they are out there, 36"+ and hungry. The sea lions are just as hungry.

Reactions: bajachild
    Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Vagbond
    I still remember an early trip with Cameron on the Vagabond - the schoolie YFT were biting, but slowly - Cameron said "I'm greedy - lets find something better". Shortly after, we were in a WFO YFT bite - sometimes, you do leave slow fish to find a better bite - it sure worked in this case. The captain must have the courage of his convictions (know what he's doing).

Upvote 0