36.3 lb YT of N la Jolla

PENN

Big_Mike199

Jul 22, 2014
Name
Mike
Boat
The Trophy Pro
Started late leaving Dana at 7 am with 3 guys on board. Got to EB for a little line and OK baits at best. Made our way to the south end of la Jolla and started trolling for nada. ( We were fishing right by the new seaforth the whole time and didn't see shit but there counts called for 32 YT?!) after a while we pulled up and went to the north end of the kelp. Absolute wide open for little bonita so we just kept trolling around for that lunker. After about 15 bones we finally had on the big boy we wanted. After 30 minutes of chasing it down with the boat we felt "kelp rubbing on the line ; He wrapped us! Finally after 20 more minutes of unwrapping it from the kelp he started to come up nice and easy. Gaffed him nice and easy and then It was picture time. Weighed in at 36.3 lbs. and we got him on 15 lb test fly lining a dine.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Did you say something about it on the VHF? I heard some guy talking about his 36lber from La Jolla. I was there again today, got two more 25 pounders trolling Rapalas past the New Seaforth. Their sacks were absolutely stuffed, I saw some guys getting them on the surface iron.

Reactions: Big_Mike199
Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Scale at h&m must be broken this fish wasn't close to 30

Edit I should appologize not in my style too attack. Nice job on a beautiful yellow. I just maybe disagree with the claimed weight but still a job well done. Congrats

2014-09-09 21.06.01.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
This homeguard was 36 lbs for comparison. Backside of Capa, fishing for calicos, ate a plastic on 12 lb p-line.

Capa yellow.JPG

Reactions: cutbackpat
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

I suspect Mike's fish is closer to 20, but a nice grade fish compared to the majority of rats offshore.

Since we're comparing trophies, this was one of two weighing 38 on a digital scale. Loreto, MX.
LoretoYT.jpg

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
great pic. Heard you talking about it on the VHF. Sure beets all the RYT we have right now.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

By the looks of other pictures, maybe your digital scale was off too.......
Believe what you like, Gary. We had a couple scales confirm two fish. Photos can be deceiving when the fish is close the camera lens.

Have a superfantastic day!

Upvote 0

jughead

Jun 10, 2006
Alpine
Name
John
Boat
24 Seaswirl striper
Pictures of fish at different angles make the fish bigger or smaller. Your fish looks less than 20 lbs at that angle. So it could look bigger with a different picture........congrats on a fun day!!!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Nice yellow.
I too question the weight...its probably the way your holding it.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

I suspect Mike's fish is closer to 20, but a nice grade fish compared to the majority of rats offshore.

Since we're comparing trophies, this was one of two weighing 38 on a digital scale. Loreto, MX.
View attachment 543549
With critics who post avators of nice fish hooked by their captain, I should have never claimed #'s on this young fish. Lame on me!

Upvote 0