3500 BD Deal... continued

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Grabbed some blocks at work and cribbed the boat so I could get the hull to sit right off of the trailer to attach the cap. Well, things went to hell quickly from there. Decided I was going to finish the work myself.

Fixed all of the holes in the cap and stuck it to the hull with 5200. Sanded until I couldn't sand no more. Got all of the scratches, dings, dents, holes, etc in the hull buttoned up and sanded some more.

Finish sanding tomorrow morning and into primer by afternoon.

20160507_155807 resize.jpg 20160528_140445 resize.jpg

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Busted ass all weekend and boat is in first two coats of primer. Found a couple of spots I want to tweak, but all said and done, came out bitchen. Using Interlux 2000 and it is nasty, but comes out beautiful. Wear your respirators, kiddies.

After hour thirty this weekend and glass shards in every body part imaginable I was wondering the logic to all of this. Then it hit me. This is akin to fixing up a Pinto, minus the exploding tank. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is my Pinto and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Hoping to have color on the bottom by late in the week and sides by Sunday. Season is here.

20160530_151853 resize.jpg

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Someone leaned their bike bars in the fresh paint....:starwarskid5:

Upvote 0

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
Looks nice! Curious, what's the procedure to get the boat off the crib and onto the trailer? Back the trailer in slow and winch? Take the blocks out as it goes on?

This will be a cool boat when you are all done with it, well thought out.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
The crib and uncrib is a slow process of putting blocks under the stern of the boat and raising the nose of the trailer, dropping the hull on the blocks. Then use your floor Jack and more blocks to get the front in the air as the trailer goes down.

As you move the trailer from underneath the boat you will move your cribs as the cross members hit them. To get back on the trailer you reverse the process. It only takes about 15 minutes to do either routine. Jamestown Distributors has a video series called Tales of a Shipwright that covers it as good as I could find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Nice work! I picked up a CC from Rough water as well. Your invader will be beyond custom once its finished!!

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Been working below decks. Nothing sexy but all very functional.

Built and glassed in a battery shelf below the front casting deck to move weight forward and give me more battery capacity. While up there I ran a PVC conduit from under the center console to a discharge just under the battery tray shooting out to the right.

Then I continued the conduit that was heading to the stern and pulled it out through the top of the bilge. Should be pretty easy to pull the harness and controls going forward.

battery 1.jpg 20160902_181237.jpg 20160902_181302.jpg 20160902_181446.jpg 20160902_181455.jpg

Upvote 0

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Finishing filling all of the screw holes in the hull and cap. Looks like she's been apart before. Then going to mate the cap to the hull with 5200 and ss bolts and nuts. However, I need to fix a hard hit on the hull.

Any suggestions on how to glass this type of ding in?

View attachment 759833

Hey man, I'm just down the street. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a helping hand... :)

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Right on. Feel free to stop by later today after lunch if you want. We'll be cleaning and prepping my rig for a run up north.

I ended up banging out some hours on the sled. Anxious to hit the water; been dry too long. How did prep go?

Reactions: mokahehteh
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Thanks again for the boat parts. The Merc 90 was donated to a needy Baja fisherman who installed a tiller and was able to earn a permit to earn a living. So far she's running like a raped ape after we found a harness & cleaned & re-synced the carbs. The skiff I redid is also on the water down south working on an aquafarm.

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Thanks again for the boat parts. The Merc 90 was donated to a needy Baja fisherman who installed a tiller and was able to earn a permit to earn a living. So far she's running like a raped ape after we found a harness & cleaned & re-synced the carbs. The skiff I redid is also on the water down south working on an aquafarm.

Glad to hear it all worked out and went to a good cause! Thank for letting me help out in a minor way.

Reactions: Vigilant32
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Project got sidetracked for a bit. My mom up and passed very unexpectedly so there was some legal issues to deal with, then my back crapped out, we had rain...

Berry Sheet Metal built a bitchen tank for me. Good guy, great prices and downright good to do business with. Had a hard time finding him as most of the internecks has him in Costa Mesa. Turned out he is in Santa Ana on Richie at Edinger and about a mile from one of my work locations.

Got everything ready to install the tank and used 5200 to install the strips to keep the tank out of water.

Going to plug it in manana and plumb/wire it. Then off to hang the new ETEC 150 I got a killer deal on as a year end leftover. Fly by wire, hydro steer and all of the goodies.

20161105_124425.jpg 20161105_160544.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest posts