34 hour reset and a pb smallie

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I ditched construction a couple years ago and decided to go see america so I'm driving a truck now..
One of the requirements is that after working any more then 7 days 70 hours you need to reset that clock with a 34 hour break...this time it came up in Binghamton , NY at the TA truck stop...some times you end up doing a reset in some shitty places but this was cool..1/2 mile walk through a forest to the susquehanna river.
I'm just ca=lying one rod but a mix of lures and terminal tackle too.
walked down and started fishing where a creek enters the river...looked like a good spot out of the main current.
This river could fill diamond valley in a couple days max...1/4 hike across and probably 10 feet deep maybe more.
no bites on the lead head and curly tail and once I lost it I tried a plug in the main river...nada...20 casts.
So I spied a gravel bar that pinched the channel into half as wide...lots possibilites for a spot to hold fish out of the current..
first cast I lose the plug...fishing 4 lb is a bit too light but that's what I have so I had to go with it.
next..as I was casting I noticed skeletons of crawdads so rolled some rocks and got one and it was in soft shell stage...cool I'm stoked to try this soft luscious crawdad.
lost the bait first cast with no bites damn!
dug up another and cast to several different areas near the back washing current down stream from the point of the bar...not a bite.lost that one tried another...nope..
went with a plastic lure and lead head...20 more casts nothing...damn
it was a beautiful day low 60s and bright sun shine and at least I wasnt in the damn truck...I havent been home since first week of january. so just getting to fish and be somewhere away from diesel engines is great

never give up.

it's been three hours no bites so I decide to try a completely different tactic. I pulled out a black and silver rappala surface chugger. 10 casts...20...30...this is really disappointing then after moving to where the river current curls back on it self and flows the opposite direction bam an explosion on the top water lure.
been a long time since I caught small mouth bass in Vermont in the late sixties and I dont seem to remember them being close to 2- 2.5 pounds so I'll calling it my PB.

oh yeah I need a hair cut and a shave.

20200531_132253.jpg

Screenshot_20200601-072622_Earth.jpg

Last edited:

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
When I drove otr, I took some time off in a lot of cool places. I attempted to fish Montana a few times, and always had my fly rod with me. The one time I got close, I was dumb enough to find a bar near the truck stop and got smashed the night before and overslept the next day 🙁
Oh well.

I always stopped up in Washington as I have family in Snohomish. Always wanted to fish that too, but usually ended up hanging out with family screwing around instead.

Reactions: Tom123 and stairman

Tom123

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Way to stick it out. Got rewarded with a beauty. On 4# no less.

Them rivers out there are no joke. Nothing like the spittle coming down the pipeline in SoCal.

Looking forward to your next post wherever that may be. Be safe out there bro.