Salmondave22

Almost A Member
May 21, 2020
Rocklin
Name
david brown
Boat Name
22ft Boston Whaler
I have both the UC RCE medium and heavy. I use the medium for 25#, and the heavy for 40. I think either would work depending on how hard you like to pull. The RCE line is definitely more parabolic than the other UC models. If you fish a short piece of fluoro I think that parabolic is a good thing. Somewhere in the chain there needs to be some give, ie fewer pulled hooks and less wear and tear on your body.
I also have a RCE mega and it casts a bait a mile. If your car will hold an 8 ft rod that would be my personal choice.

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I've fished the 700XXH rce and it was a little too parabolic for me.

For 30 I use US76 Tilefish jr, GP80 Mega and for a 30/40 combo I'll fish a GP80 tilefish jr. If you're fishing from a sportfisher I would lean towards something in the 7'6"-8'6" range. It just makes life a little easier during tangles, over the anchor, off the hual, etc

And FWIW I fish my torque 25nld2 as a 40lb reel. The 15XNLD2 is the better 30lb reel imo

Last edited:
    Reactions: Buttchaser
    Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
    Jan 17, 2007
    Valle del Sol
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Moo
    I have both the UC RCE medium and heavy. I use the medium for 25#, and the heavy for 40. I think either would work depending on how hard you like to pull. The RCE line is definitely more parabolic than the other UC models. If you fish a short piece of fluoro I think that parabolic is a good thing. Somewhere in the chain there needs to be some give, ie fewer pulled hooks and less wear and tear on your body.
    I also have a RCE mega and it casts a bait a mile. If your car will hold an 8 ft rod that would be my personal choice.

In your opinion, what are the pros/cons of these more parabolic UC's?

Upvote 0

Salmondave22

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2020
    Rocklin
    Name
    david brown
    Boat Name
    22ft Boston Whaler
    In your opinion, what are the pros/cons of these more parabolic UC's?
    I got introduced to more parabolic rods from mooching for salmon on 15# test back in the 90’s. Salmon do not pull nearly as hard as a tuna, but they can make unexpected short hard runs that can break leaders.

In 2010 I had cancer. The chemotherapy destroyed the executive portion of my brain. I can no longer react as fast while fighting a fish ( or doing anything for that matter). With a parabolic rod there is far more forgiveness since the rod tip is further from the plane that the rod butt is on.

If I hadn’t had cancer I would have probably gone with a little stiffer rod like the GUSA, but I still would have leaned a little to the parabolic side to cut down on pulled hooks, and offer a little shock absorbion for my old shoulders.

Upvote 0

Biggiez

Mar 29, 2021
    Pacific Beach
    Name
    Pump Daddy C
    Boat Name
    11ft whaler called the "homie tax device"
    Im a huge fan of that 700xh for 30lb. I bought one and fished it last year on a TN16A for 30lb and it was a great set up for those 40lb fish. The only difference I’d make is that if I was fishing for anything bigger I’d want a two speed like the 25NLD2.

I understand how injuries affect fighting fish! Last year I had rotator cuff surgery on my dominant arm so for the entire season last year I couldn’t fish as hard as I liked so I had to switch it up to parabolic set ups and now that I’m recovered I still prefer them. My right arm (the afflicted) still doesn’t like turning the handle while it’s extended so I need a softer rod to bring the reel closer easier.

Reactions: Salmondave22
    Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    I am looking for 30/40 rod . Does it fish 40lb well too and how does it cast a sardine?

I use a UC US80 Predator for 40# and it cast a dine fine. Actually, any rod will cast a dine as casting is more of the anglers ability. Some guys prefer the Tilefish and some like the Terminator. 30 and 40 are 2 diff rods but if you want a single 30 & 40 the Phanton could fish a lite 40 no problem.

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
    Feb 19, 2007
    los angeles
    Name
    jay
    Boat Name
    Not yet
    I use a UC US80 Predator for 40# and it cast a dine fine. Actually, any rod will cast a dine as casting is more of the anglers ability. Some guys prefer the Tilefish and some like the Terminator. 30 and 40 are 2 diff rods but if you want a single 30 & 40 the Phanton could fish a lite 40 no problem.
    I have a 76 predator and it currently is my /60 lb rig , just landed a 120lb bluefin with it in no time. I have used the rod for 40lb as well even though the ratings are above that mark.

I am looking for a rod with a soft enough tip for the 30/40 duties in a UC rod. I just don’t know UC line up very well .

Maybe that 85 phantom will do ?

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    I have a 76 predator and it currently is my /60 lb rig , just landed a 120lb bluefin with it in no time. I have used the rod for 40lb as well even though the ratings are above that mark.

I am looking for a rod with a soft enough tip for the 30/40 duties in a UC rod. I just don’t know UC line up very well .

Just remember, the 85 Phantom is 8 1/2” feet.
    It’s a lot of rod

Upvote 0

Shogunsc44

May 5, 2008
    Glendora
    Name
    Shek Chun

Try the RUS 80 Monster. It’s a good 30/40 pound rod. RCE monster is too parabolic but good for 30# island style of fishing while the RUS shuts off faster. I like the RUS monster for 30/40 offshore

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
    Feb 19, 2007
    los angeles
    Name
    jay
    Boat Name
    Not yet
    Try the RUS 80 Monster. It’s a good 30/40 pound rod. RCE monster is too parabolic but good for 30# island style of fishing while the RUS shuts off faster. I like the RUS monster for 30/40 offshore
    Thanks , the first time I tried the monster was a years ago now that I think about it. One trait I remember about it was it was too parabolic for me. i will take a look at the rus Monster

Upvote 0