30hr trip out of NJ

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by Kyote, Mar 23, 2015.

1. joy luck

joy luck Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Joy Luck
    Thought I'd chime in... Fish regularly on the voyager. great boat. They limit the number of spots on the boat to the number of available bunks. The crew really is top notch. I'd recommend the 50W and 7.5' rod. You won't be holding your rod all night and these boat have highrails so you'll want something long so you can rail the rod to fight the fish. Note you cannot fish straight braid for bait. Jigging works! Definitely try that through the night, especially when the captain marks fish and calls out the depth. I've got most my fish between 100-200'. On the 30 hours trips, you'll sail out at dawn and make it to the canyon in the early afternoon. You'll spend a few hours steaming between lobster pots for mahi so dont forget the spinning gear to cast out for them! in the evening, they'll anchor up and begin to chunk for tuna, which you'll do through the night before heading in in the late morning. Have a great trip and good luck!

2. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    Joy Luck, Thanks for the info, glad to know the Voyager is good boat. I will be taking a jigging outfit also, can you jig when chunking also, or just one rod at a time? Any Jigs better than others? When chunking do the boats rod holders work or should I plan on making a holder extension. I talked to the captain about the extensions and they do not have any but said you can buy them, i would think they are expensive. Also is a harness needed to bring? they talk about that on other post, but I'm use to railing the rod, will that work on this boat?

3. joy luck

joy luck Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Joy Luck
    One rod at a time. If your neighbor hooks on a fish and you can't reel up your bait rod to get it out the way cause you're jigging... well, thats a quick way to not make friends.

The super sardine jig that was mentioned earlier in the thread was a killer for me this past season. Got a 100lb bigeye on it.

I've never used the rod extensions but some guys have them. I guess they're useful if the wind starts swirling to keep you line from swinging under the boat and against the hull, but for the most part it's unneeded.

I don't use a belt harness. If your used to dropping down and using the rail, there is really no need. It's harder to move round the boat when the fish runs and keep the line away from the boat when fishing from a harness too.

4. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    hey Joy luck, how do you fish the super sardine? standard up and down, or yo-yo west coast style?

5. jarhead

jarhead Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Maycraft 2550
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. joy luck

joy luck Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Joy Luck
    Kyote,

I generally just drop down to the desired depth and sweep the rod tip up and down with the super sardine (what I call yo-yoing, but not sure what west coast yo-yoing is). Generally they hit on the drop.

jarhead,

I fished on the voyager yesterday. It is a sweeet ride. much wider. Lots of room in the cabin and really wide walkways around the side. Biggest difference has to be that it's surprisingly quiet in the cabin while running. Engines are humming but you can speak without screaming. Deinitely excited for tuna season. To my knowledge, the old voyager is now the captree princess out of long island.

7. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    I shed a teAr when I heard Charlie sold the boat. I tuna fished with him exclusively since 1996. Some wild trips. That boat is a weApon. A great sea boat. Charlie and Ron had a great operation. The voyager customers are in for a real treat.

8. arik lerner

arik lerner Member

Name:
    arik
    Boat:
    topcat 42 thermadine
    where does the Viking leave from?

9. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat: