30hr trip out of NJ

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by Kyote, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    New to this site and have a few questions. going on a tuna trip and want to know what reel would be best. I have a penn 114 loaded with 80# on a 5.5 custom standup, and a penn 50w loaded with 100# on a 8 foot shark rod. of the 2 what would be the best? i am also bringing my Avet lx on a 30-80 6-6 bait/jig setup. I like the 50w but would it be to heavy to hold all day chunking? would the 114 be plenty of reel (update drag)? Im grateful for your help

2. cold waters

cold waters Newbie

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    "Stalker"
    What boat? What destination? Whats the targeted species?

3. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    voyager on a canyon tuna trip. fished the GULF (grew up in clearwater) and out of san diego twice but never the atlantic

4. jarhead

jarhead Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Maycraft 2550
    Most boats in NJ going for tuna prefer 30 to 50 class reels loaded with 80lb mono, the Gambler, Voyager etc.
    You Can get it done with the 114, the 5 1/2 rod is ok but a 6'6" or 7 footer is better, keeps your line away from the boat and easier for over and under other lines when hooked up.
    The LX should be no problem for jigging, l've used mine on a Bogan 30-80 7 footer for jigging.
    Also bring a spinner for Mahi, I bring a penn battle 5 and 6000 on 7 Ft. Spinning rods.
    Check out the boats sites for setups and tackle recommendations.
    Good luck and catch em up.

5. Enfuego

Enfuego Your favorite Realtor

Name:
    Yusef
    Boat:
    None
    Good luck on your trip. Post up some photos of your catch if possible.

6. cold waters

cold waters Newbie

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    "Stalker"
    I like jarheads advice

7. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    Well I will take the 50w, the rod I have for this is a 7.5' XXH I use for land base sharks would I be better off with that over the 5.5 standup? I will keep a eye out for a 6.6 or 7' chunking rod. Also sorry for all the question, the balloons, rubber bands and lite sticks are for? I would say the balloons for floating live baits? rubber bands? lite sticks for putting on the balloons? If you could help me out with that.
    Thank you all for the help. I live in MI and fish for walleye,musky and Salmon (salmon only fish that pulls back) I will post pics.

8. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I've spent more time canyon fishing that I want to admit.

#1 - you aren't going to be holding your chunking rod all night. You need a rocket launcher rod holder to put your rod like in the below pic. This slides into the rod holder on the boat, gets your rod over the rail and points the tip at your bait. The Viking used to rent them not sure about the voyager.

[​IMG]

#2 - YOU NEED Rubber bands to attach sinkers to your chunking rig. You will fish baits anywhere from the surface to 250' down. Bring weights from 4-32oz never know what hte current will be doing

#3 - YOU NEED ballons you get your baits out and away from the boat

#4 - Put your 50' on that stand up rod unless you plan to fish the rail, i.e. your going to use harness to fight your fish. If you are going to use that long 7' + rod than you are going to fight fish without a harness by laying the foregrip in the rail and following the fish...that works fine

#5 - You need a 20 to 30lb spinning or light bait casting outfit to fish Mahi on the potts

#6 - use your jigging rod as a tile fish set-up as well, you'll likely tilefish some on the trip

#7 - Glow sticks for swordfishing. If you want to swordfish ask the captain where the thermocline is and set your bait just above it. You'll attach a glow stick about 50' up from your bait via a rubber bang.

PM me with any additional questions at all.

9. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Do these Canyon boats have bunk rooms - someone told me everyone just crashes in the galley?

10. Northeastfshman

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Depends on the boat. Certainly not West Coast style not matter which boat you ride but a few do have bunks like the Viking.

11. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    Well great info and I can tell this will be a lot different from the west cost trips but looking forward to it. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions to come. is the jigging for tuna very productive? I picked up the jigging rig (used for live bait on the west cost trips) on my last trip and hope I can use it on this trip. Also are the canyon trips worth it on headboats? from the web it looks like they are.

12. jarhead

jarhead Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Maycraft 2550
    What boat and date are you booking ?

13. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    Voyager, September 26th. good boat? good or bad time of year?

14. Northeastfshman

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Just like any trip they can be amazing or a total bust.

I've seen a trip with a full boat limit of YFT, (3 PP), from 70-140lbs with a few legit 400lb BFT and 300lb BET and then I've seen trips where you steam 150 NM and catch nothing.

I will say what I did prefer about the East Coast trips was that on a 1 day overnight you have a shot at yellowfins, big eyes, swordfish, marlin, tile fish, wreck fish, snowy groupers, albacore, mahi and bluefin.

Last year was an all word year back east. The yellowfin chucking came back for the first time in 10 years with everyone limits on 50-110lb fish at night and the big eye bite was the best I'd ever heard of.

Jigging is very effective, but you'll see on the trip if they are biting the jigs or chunk baits better. It varies. All you need for jigs is a 6oz and 8oz hammered diamond jig and a super sardine jig... no need to get crazy beyond that.

Good boat ideal time of year but you may be blown out. 50/50 you get out that time of year... or really any time of year there.

15. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    Hey Northeast, 6-8oz jigs, no need for anything larger? would it be mostly a surface bite? also any colors better than others? told you, a lot of questions. To be honest I never new they ran headboats out in this area for tuna, still a 8hr drive for me but worth it. Grew up on the Gulf and my uncle had a 46 Cabo, when with him all the time, my favorite was the jigging for black fin, and AJ's and a few YF's. hey was a bill fish guy, I hated trolling, unless the bite was on.

16. Northeastfshman

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Here you go on the jigs.

Hammered Diamond Jig - http://www.jignpop.com/jignpop-flat-hammered-diamond-jig - Silver 8oz

Super Sardine Jigs - http://www.jignpop.com/jignpop-super-sardine-jig/ - Pink and Green 8oz

Fish are anywhere from themocline to the surface (200'-surface). Pay attention to what gets bit at what depth.

The gulf probably has a more consistent YFT fisheries and some bigger YFT but you don't get bigeyes in the gulf and they IMHO are the best eating, fighting tuna out there.

PM me before your trip I'll talk my friends and get you the exact who,what,where etc... just before you head out.

17. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    Thanks for the link. I will send you a PM, need all the help I can get.

18. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    I've always wondered if a someone ran a decent LR size boat like a Polaris Supreme on the east coast - MA/NJ/NC - if if it could fill spots on Canyon trips from 3-7 days.

19. Kyote

Kyote Newbie

Name:
    Kevin rars
    Boat:
    Kyote
    If someone did I would book 2 times a year on a 3-5 day trip. not sure on the limits. is it per person per boat, not per day on the NE? that may be the reason why.

20. Northeastfshman

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

The viking fleet does on there big boat 140' Viking Star Ships. The trips are amazing in that you tile/grouper fish during the day and then Tuna fish at night.

They also introduced a new boat, The Viking 5 Star, to do high end style long range trips. INSANE BOAT. They even have a green stick to fish.

My buddies charted it for an exploratory trip last year to run 200 miles to the true gulf stream edge. They never made, got 130 form the dock and jugged the boat with 100 Bigeye from 30-80lbs and then a came back inside and got a few big 200lb models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Limits are:
    3 YFT per person per day
    No limit on BET
    1 BFT from 27-43" per boat per day - 1 BFT From 43"-73" per boat per day - 1 BFT over 73" a year unless you are fishing commercially.

No limits on Tile fish... and please keep in mind they regularly catch tiles over 40lbs up to about 90.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015