PENN

cmike

Mar 31, 2007
san diego
Name
cmike
Boat
skippie
3 of us fished the 302 Tuesday on the little hooker. 6 YFT 24 - 28 lbs. Started on a single jig (Mexican Flag ) stop at 9:15. Fish stayed with us till 12:00. Called in around 11:00. Should of called in sooner. Just never had to at the 302. Normally U stop to pee and are surrounded in minutes at the 302. A bunch of boats chumming seems to be keeping fish better this year.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Nice! I think it's far from "over".

Reactions: madrugador
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
2 hour 45 minute stop for 6 yellowfin? Sounds like you dumped a lot of fish or got your azzes kicked.

Or caught a bunch and released?
Anyway enjoying the day I'm sure! nice report!

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
it won't be over until mid November this year...if then

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Looking forward to a Thanksgiving morning Tuna turnaround...

Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
Yep that's what he said

2 hour 45 minute stop for 6 yellowfin? Sounds like you dumped a lot of fish or got your azzes kicked.
Or was on what some consider a plunker bite.

You have got to give us more information about your morning! Six fish in almost three hours when "the fish stayed with us" just doesn't make sense, unless you were fishing ultralight and trying for records.
Perhaps his fish finder showed them but just not biting wide open?

Way to pick apart the verbiage guys. One fish every 27.5 minutes is better than nothing. Congrats for that and posting cmike.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Okay, no picture,,,, bullshit

Upvote 0

cmike

Mar 31, 2007
san diego
Name
cmike
Boat
skippie
we used 20lb fluorocarbon leaders. Never witnessed a 3 hour fight before. His 1st tuna ever and after an hour I didn't want to over tighten the drag and be the bad guy. The school came and left 3 or 4 times. So for the most part, 1 fished ,1 played with one fish for 3 hours and I chummed ,chunked ,gaffed, washed the deck, packed fish. Good day for me.Maybe not so good for U Pro's

Upvote 0

devodave

keeping the kid hooked up
Aug 27, 2009
San Marcos
Name
"Old School"
Boat
Really old but solid 25' SeaRay Flybridge
We too are taking about 30 minutes average getting in the 25#+ tuna recently due to having to use light line (15- 20#) to get them to bite. All you guys quit hating. When in the last 20 years have you been able to brag that you caught 6 YFT in local waters, all in a few hours????? I would never call that a slow bite. Hell, I have been skunked many a time on 2.5 day trips, so I really appreciate what we are seeing right now. Spending my retirement money on fuel over the last 2 months..LOL.

Fish come in close for the first time in decades and everyone is an expert on landing fish quickly? My gauge of a good fisherman is the one that can land that big fish on light line, using his best tool - the drag - properly....doesn't matter how long it takes. Just saying. And most importantly getting the fish on the deck. Anyone can hook a bunch of fish and snap off a third of what they hook trying to muscle them in.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Dude made the time and effort to get out there.
Then he and his buddies caught 6 NICE fish.
I call that a success.
Congrats cmike

Upvote 0