Dan Salazar

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time
Fished Friday with two other bloodydecks boaters (the Curse is real and Erin B)
I have a slip at Seaforth Marina and picked up 2 scoops of bait the night before
Departed before sunrise ( Caution to others there's a dangerous dredging barge at the entrance to Mission Bay)
Just short of the 302 found an untouched paddy
Pull 3 firecracker yellowtail and 3 necktie dorado
Got info on a YFT bite about 7 miles south. The Aztec and numerous privates were on the spot. Are $90 of bait had substantial rolled. Metered tons of fish but could not get them to go
We did see boils and a few fish caught.
The 3 bloodydecks buddy boater decided to get very close together and chum the tuna. Unfortunately it didn't pay off
Shortly after leaving that area we got an open water Dorado on a purple cedar plug. Worked south with no luck
30 mile run back to the dock around 5pm on supper flat water
Final note: I have the slip for a week at Seaforth Marina if other are interested in buddy boating.

20201023_162600.jpg

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
What sort of bait tank setup do you have? Our bait has been fantastic lately. Yesterday's lasted all day no issues.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
They are still out there. We kept it under 16 knots to keep the bait happy.

clizza

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2012
fontana ca us
Name
cliff
Boat
a-saltweapon
Great fishing with you dan. Sorry about our radio issues ! Fixing it for sure I

I have a slip at Seaforth Marina and picked up 2 scoops of bait the night before
Departed before sunrise ( Caution to others there's a dangerous dredging barge at the entrance to Mission Bay)
Got info on a YFT bite about 7 miles south. The Aztec and numerous privates were on the spot. Are $90 of bait had substantial rolled. Metered tons of fish but could not get them to go
The 3 bloodydecks buddy boater decided to get very close together and chum the tuna. Unfortunately it didn't pay off
Shortly after leaving that area we got an open water Dorado on a purple cedar plug. Worked south with no luck
Final note: I have the slip for a week at Seaforth Marina if other are interested in buddy boating.

View attachment 1215912

In2wind

Apr 17, 2019
Chula Vista
Name
Chad
Boat
Not Yet
I have a 45 gallon offshore I've kept bait for 5 days before
Trust me this stuff was bad news
Others complained
You are right - we must have received bait from the same hold/batch as you, as unfortunately much of our bait rolled as well and it was a pretty smooth ride down.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
They are still out there. We kept it under 16 knots to keep the bait happy.
You know the bait's probably not going to do well when the water in your bait tank is full of scales right after the guys at the receiver load your bait.

What I've been doing, and it really seems to help the bait survive better, is to pull the drain pipe on the tank about every 10-15 minutes when I'm heading offshore and flush (for about 30 seconds) the scales out of the tank. I also try and do it throughout the day while I'm fishing as well.

Just a thought...

Reactions: Noah & Scoot

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Dont know that bait situation there but Another issue can be bringing bait back to the slip...water temps usually rise the farther you go into a harbor..have had many customers come back to reload after getting bait the night before.?

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
If the scales are coming off that more the cause of the die off then them just being in the water

TripleNet

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2016
Newport Beach
Name
Brian
Boat
EW

View attachment 1215912

Dan nice fishing with you Rob and Ryan,
We ran all over the place yesterday but conditions allowed so why not...

We pointed for the 425 and stopped about 7-8 miles short in the canyon for a paddy full of rat YT 22/25, kept a couple and moved on, found Rob and a few paddies for more rats, headed up to Just N of the the 371 area Where you and the fleet were and managed some more rats on those two big paddies and I hooked a football YFT which we landed. Whatever those marks were at 50’ (and marked on more paddies all day) did not want to come up and bite...

We ran to your numbers just E of the 302 for the paddy you scored dorado on for more rat yellows. My buddy dove on the paddy and found “hundreds” of YT and 1 dorado which wouldn’t bite or behave for the spear.
Ran back down to the area between 371 and 302 for flotilla after flotilla of good size paddies and boats with not much action. Lots of drifting and bait soaking. The paddy the malihini left (and ensuing radio chatter) produced some dorado for boats that slid in quickly after.
Ran out to take a look at the 230 and Saw a couple of sporties in the distance, decided to head back up to the 302/226 area for unmolested paddies and almost ran over one just SE of the 226 that produced 3 dorado in a span of 15 minutes.
Looking for that wide open bite never materialized and sounds like a few others did well that day but it was a great long day on the water and probably last pelagic trip of the season...

For those heading out this weekend, fish the smaller hooks and bait from EB Pt loma was decent. Looked and Seemed fine in the tank but Beat up after soaking for a bit

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time
Dont know that bait situation there but Another issue can be bringing bait back to the slip...water temps usually rise the farther you go into a harbor..have had many customers come back to reload after getting bait the night before.?
In this case my slip is about a 100 yd from the bait receiver

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
We didn't lose a single bait out of Shelter. Well, besides birds, skippies and the usual fuckin knotheads. I reeled in a few big fat YTF tuna heads with their eyes buggin out. Still some hammers around too that won't leave you alone.

Canvas Man

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
25' Hydro Sport

View attachment 1215912
Nice catch you got.
We left out of MB about 7am picked up bait and crused to the 371 at 28 to 30 mph on a 25 hydro sport bait lasted all day only had a couple dead for the day. A lot of the bait was red hot and once on the hook ran like jaws was after them. Maybe a bad box at the receiver. Found a variety of fish first time out after boat was down for 3 months for some engine and wiring repairs. A great way to come back..

20201023_154826.jpg

20201023_144516.jpg

Reactions: Sand Patroller

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Did you see the parking lot out there LOL

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
We didn't loose 1 bait yesterday on a scoop and a half out of Seaforth. Best bait we've ever had.

In2wind

Apr 17, 2019
Chula Vista
Name
Chad
Boat
Not Yet
You know the bait's probably not going to do well when the water in your bait tank is full of scales right after the guys at the receiver load your bait.

What I've been doing, and it really seems to help the bait survive better, is to pull the drain pipe on the tank about every 10-15 minutes when I'm heading offshore and flush (for about 30 seconds) the scales out of the tank. I also try and do it throughout the day while I'm fishing as well.

Just a thought...
Thanks for the tip!

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande "Only Big Ones"
My bait the last 3 trips has survived really well throughout the day, very few rolled baits, but they don't swim for shit. Lazy. Really hard to find a hot green bait.

Just my personal observation of late.

Canvas Man

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
25' Hydro Sport
Did you see the parking lot out there LOL
Yes the parking lot was full had to be 50 plus boats and then u look out in the distance and you see 15 boats over there and another 20 the other way. Never seen so many in one area. But for the most part everyone seemed to be getting along.