apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
It is a painful decision. I am torn. I want to shy away from the Etec G2 but my range will increase significantly with this beast. Evinrude has a promotional going on for free rigging. I had a F300 UCA and I must say it was awesome. A brute that never changed it's tune in a cruise. I set the song and it never changed a note no matter what the sea was doing to the boat. No promotions and higher maintenance. I have the new sled and have been working hard getting it ready. Everytime I look at those twin 1999 Optimax 225's I have bad thoughts. I think they need to go and I want a repower. I do not know if I can stand the looks of the G2's, for me I think they are fugly, but who knows I could get over it and they have integrated helical gear drive power hydraulic steering. The oil tank is in the motor not the boat! F300 no oil.......Tough stuff..what are your opinions?

Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
Wait until Yamaha has the 3 year YES incentive in the Fall and go with F300's. They are Yamaha's best motor in the 6 cyl. configuration, and servicing infrastructure is probably the best as well.

Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
G2. You will be fishing when other people will be doing their service! Ha ha Ha ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Yamaha is a proven winner with a solid resale value .

Doing service by yourself will save tons of $$ & easy to do.

Those G's are ugly & will never be "in style" imho.

Reactions: towerfab and apogee
Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
I do not know about the new G2's but the regular etec's are AWSOME!!!! I ran it like I stole it 90% of the time and sold it running awesome with great compression at 4000+ hours... if you go with the rude's have them tuned for XD-100 and they sip oil then and are easy on plugs too... there not quite as quiet as the 4 strokes but man they have GREAT low end grunt to get you up on plane... and with your rig I think that will be a key thing to have... and I know that here in SD the seal and dolphin trainers for the navy run nothing but the etec's on there boats... you see them running around all the time and they paint an orange stripe on the motors and that makes them way more ugly than the G2's IMO... also you get the power steering and run 87 octane fuel as compaired to 89 for the yami's

Last edited:
Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
I own 3-Suzuki OB's right now. Love them.
I would go Evinrude G2 if I could. They are the true next generation. Factory in Wisconsin, if they turned out to be lemons you could theoretically go throw rocks at their windows LOL

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Hmmmm...

Thought you were just gonna run those Opti's till they dropped?

That didn't take long. :D

You knew the answer before you asked.

Post up pictures of the F300's when you get them rigged.
Befor I could get those opti's on the water an engine fault light illuminated. The engine runs fine as far as I can tell, who knows might be a false alarm. No audible alarm going off or anything like that but I still have not put the boat in the water and ran the throttles up (waiting for my CF # stickers to arrive in the mail from DIY Lettering. Maybe this weekend. Got a quote on the G2's installed and ready to go of $55K

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I own 3-Suzuki OB's right now. Love them.
I would go Evinrude G2 if I could. They are the true next generation. Factory in Wisconsin, if they turned out to be lemons you could theoretically go throw rocks at their windows LOL
I like the way you think........G2's have a promotion right now and the people that love them really cannot say enough good things about them........

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Remember they are still new. Call the guys running commercial 6 pack boats in the gulf such as Alabama and see if anyone is running them. If They are, they are probably the only ones with high hours so far. See what their opinion is and go from there.
Everyone is going to love them when they only have a few hundred hours.
You don't want to be the gunea pig with new technology.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
So far it is 2 to 1 ratio for the F300's .......Okay, where? Who should I contact for the best deal of pull my boat up to the shop and drive away fully rigged and ready to go with a set of F300's? Who? I found a shop for that with the G2's and the drive away quote so far is $54.6K. If I add the digital screen gauge it is more or you just get tachs for gauges with the Free Rigging promotion. If someone knows of a better price then that for a set of G2's fully rigged and ready to rock let me know. I am ready to move on this adventure into the poorhouse...............

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
I would get comparable quotes from all the local yamaha outboard dealers and see who's within your budget.

I suspect all of them to be within 3% of each other with the benchmark motor only price to be what boats.net displays on their website ($42k for 25" pair or $43k for 30" pair) +/-...

As for sales tax... well...... plenty of angles here as one can imagine

out of state "delivery"
out of state purchase
purchased and rigged out of state
purchased and rigged in a no sales tax state

Its unfortunate the boat already went coast to coast. I had a customer purchase east coast and had two step delivery to so cal, the first stop being his yamaha dealer of choice for full repower.

Last edited:
Reactions: POPEYE-SCOTT
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Check with Tim Jones @ The Boat House in Anaheim. He put two F300's on for a friend at a number no one could match. Just give him the code word....

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
Los osos
Name
Tony
Boat
19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
I would just run the current motors.
I mean if they check out good and are running well.
If I wanted to re power for no reason I would wait for the Fred hall show and try and make a deal there.

Reactions: historic and zarco
Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I would get comparable quotes from all the local yamaha outboard dealers and see who's within your budget.

I suspect all of them to be within 3% of each other with the benchmark motor only price to be what boats.net displays on their website.

As for saletax... well...... plenty of angles here as one can imagine

out of state "delivery"
out of state purchase
purchased and rigged out of state
purchased and rigged in a no sales tax state

Its unfortunate the boat already went coast to coast. I had a customer purchase east coast and had two step delivery to so cal, the first stop being his yamaha dealer of choice for full repower.

I checked all of the local states and their sales tax is comparable. I contacted Florida and found only two shops that were willing to ship twin Yamahas with all of the componets and that came out too......

If you buy the motors direct from us we can sell them for $41,500. With the F300s you need to purchase the control box as well which gets registered and matched to the motors. The cost for the dual DEC control box is $1,735. Through our freight company the shipping would be $975 to either a business with a loading dock or to a local depot. The total would be $44,210. Let us know if you would like to purchase the motors and we will get the ball rolling. Thanks.
plus.....
Key Switch: $459

Main Harnesses: $582
Command Link Plus Display: $1,555
Command Link Plus Install Kit: $202
Main Bus Harness: $109
Pigtail Harness: $68.70
SWSII w/SDS Propellers (optional): $1,380

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I would just run the current motors.
I mean if they check out good and are running well.
If I wanted to re power for no reason I would wait for the Fred hall show and try and make a deal there.
The current motors are probably okay but I am old and before I die, I think I would like to have my final boat in as good as shape as I can. I want to yank these Opti's and sell them for whatever I can get to offset some of the cost of a re-power. I will have twin Opti's for sale with all associated equipment soon.........

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Check with Tim Jones @ The Boat House in Anaheim. He put two F300's on for a friend at a number no one could match. Just give him the code word....
Is the code word "Lot's of Cash" or "Scodie wadie doo dah" ?

Upvote 0

beardog629

Mar 1, 2010
vista
Name
Kelly
Boat
Blackman 23
Mike, make sure a certified Yamaha dealer rigs the motors or it voids the warranty,,at least thats what Sea witch marine told me,,or will they even deal with you if you buy from someone else?? this might just be Sea witch as they told me they were "opting out" on selling me a motor because of my hull modification,,outboard conversion,,i think it was because they couldn't price match boats.net,,,i decided to "opt out" of sea witch and bought a 300 Evinrude G2,,have to thank them,,love the motor,,6 year warranty,talked to my dealer and he said their in the works for 150 n 200 G2s,,{ they make a HO 200}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
If you buy the motor from a distant dealer, that dealer will typically "pdi" it before they send it. That means that the check the motor out and start the warranty. The negative side to that is that it wasn't "pdi'd" while sitting on your transom hooked up to all your equipment, so if something is wrong once it is installed, yamaha could come back and ask some tough questions.
The other downside to that is that if it is sent to you and you take 6 months to install it, you lost 6 months of warranty.
It's a risk I always took to save a few thousand on the motors.
Also Mike,
Since you will have to have the old Mercury holes filed and new holes drilled for whichever motor you buy, another option is to install a Bob's Machine Shop duel outboard jackplate that has a Mercury hole pattern transom piece, and a yamaha/Evinrude hole pattern on the jackplate. Since you are already bleeding money, it's a piece you will love once installed.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0