Mr Lingcod

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Not sure if anyone noticed. But Mercury came out with a new 300 Verado a number of months ago. They changed the 250HP and 300HP to a V8. The 350 still has the older configuration: 2.6L inline 6 cyl with a supercharger.

Wondering if this is a cost thing (they all used to be 2.6L inline 6 cyl with superchargers). Does it also seem funny that for the big 350HP they revert to the 6 cyl with supercharger?

Here's the chart on the website: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/verado/250-350-hp/

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
They are phasing out the 2.6l. What makes it a Verado according to Mercury is the “advanced midsection”.
The new 250 and 300 will be naturally aspirated. I assume the 350 and 400 will soon be the V-8 as well when they get it to make the power and pass emissions.
I’m a dealer and this caught us completely off guard.

Reactions: Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
They are phasing out the 2.6l. What makes it a Verado according to Mercury is the “advanced midsection”.
The new 250 and 300 will be naturally aspirated. I assume the 350 and 400 will soon be the V-8 as well when they get it to make the power and pass emissions.
I’m a dealer and this caught us completely off guard.
Thanks Dave. That's just the type of info I was looking for (that I can't find anywhere else on the internet). Do you know why Mercury made this change?

It can't be because the 2.6l was small and was blowing out, because there haven't been reports of that happening. My guess is that it's easier from a production and mechanical standpoint to control V8's by computers, versus superchargers. Also, I'm guessing the fuel savings is marginal.

That being said, I love my 2016 Verado. Makes an old boat new.

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
I believe the V-8 shift is a precursor to them putting out some much higher Hp motors. They aren’t happy about 7marine taking some market share and now Yamaha with a 425hp motor. Once Mercury gets some hours on these V-8s and they dial in the emissions, I think we will start to see some really high Hp motors. You can only push a 2.6l so far before it becomes unreliable.
I had one of my Techs at Verado school a week before the announcement and they didn’t even mention the Verado (as we know it) was going away. I was pretty pissed because I had four boats in my yard slated to get Verados.

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Not a suprise that mercury did not communicate the new line in advance. With the number of brunswick owned boat lines and mercury owned product line, imagine the sh!t storm they would create with advanced marketing of this new line with thousands of new boats out in dealers hands having the 'old' verado hanging on them....

Tough spot to be in..... and makes it harder for dealer network.

Almost a can't win situation once yamaha unleashed their 425hp with Ca emission compliance.....

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
Almost a can't win situation once yamaha unleashed their 425hp with Ca emission compliance.....[/QUOTE]

except the Yamaha weighs almost 1000 lbs, and has more complicated parts than a swiss watch. the new mercs are badass , the yammie lardass.

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Not a suprise that mercury did not communicate the new line in advance. With the number of brunswick owned boat lines and mercury owned product line, imagine the sh!t storm they would create with advanced marketing of this new line with thousands of new boats out in dealers hands having the 'old' verado hanging on them....

Tough spot to be in..... and makes it harder for dealer network.

Almost a can't win situation once yamaha unleashed their 425hp with Ca emission compliance.....
Shad,
That answer was about word for word what we were told by Merc., and hope to see you at the race this year!

Rick,
Not sure how you could know how badass they are. Have you driven one yet? We can’t even get our hands on one yet because we aren’t a builder.
I’d like to hear some feedback if you have. I’ve got customers asking.

Reactions: Mr Lingcod