No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Spooled a new Penn 30 VISX narrow topless for one of my west coast long-range customers today and here are the specs plus some impressions and pictures. Using 100lb Tuf-Line Guide's Choice hollow spectra and double digit pressure on my recently calibrated and verified Triangle HD140MMII, the reel took 800 yards 100lb hollow, plus I step-spliced another 50 yards of 130lb hollow on top. The reel is light but feels solid like Penn Internationals always do. Best free-spool I've seen and a really nice positive 2-speed mechanism. The articulated handle feels perfect and I really like the beveled and tapered lugs if you intend to use a harness with the reel. I'd prefer a lower ratio in low gear however, this being 1.4:1, (hello Cal?) but aside from that I like it! Can't wait for the feedback from anglers this season. I threw in a free 100lb fluorocarbon wind-on for the customer; hope he catches his super cow on it!

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Dumb question, why add just 50 yards of 130lb hollow versus going entire reel with one size of hollow?

Not a dumb question at all. It's a confidence thing, at the endgame when the fish is straight up and down, the ABS of the 130lb hollow is another 35lb or so over the 100lb. Not that you're going to break 100lb but after discussing it with the customer we felt there was plenty of capacity on the reel so why not?

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Basil,

Thanks. Thought I was missing something new. Looks like a very nice piece of gear.

Reactions: ifish42na
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    For me I like Penns decision to bring the low gear up higher than the Mak SEa. On the Penn website most models are out of stock. Also the 20 max drag is 50# but the 30 is 55#, just curious about the difference.

Reactions: JohnTFT
    Upvote 0

Shotgun Louie

Jun 8, 2008
    Chino Hills / CA
    Name
    Louie
    Boat
    N/A
    For me I like Penns decision to bring the low gear up higher than the Mak SEa. On the Penn website most models are out of stock. Also the 20 max drag is 50# but the 30 is 55#, just curious about the difference.

Hey Bill you like higher low gear ratio but Basil likes lower. Is there a big difference? Advantages/disadvantages?

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Hey Bill you like higher low gear ratio but Basil likes lower. Is there a big difference? Advantages/disadvantages?

With any kind of bump in the seas you have to crank really fast to keep up going down on the swell. One of the big things to watch with a big fish is to keep a constant pressure on the fish. If you are pro active in your style you load up on the rod, then reel down for another lift. Once you get a feel for it you can understand what works for you. For me it is 14-15 inches per crank in low...

Upvote 0

Shotgun Louie

Jun 8, 2008
    Chino Hills / CA
    Name
    Louie
    Boat
    N/A
    With any kind of bump in the seas you have to crank really fast to keep up going down on the swell. One of the big things to watch with a big fish is to keep a constant pressure on the fish. If you are pro active in your style you load up on the rod, then reel down for another lift. Once you get a feel for it you can understand what works for you. For me it is 14-15 inches per crank in low...

Thanks Bill

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 24, 2006
    new palestine indiana
    Name
    kerry way
    Boat
    18' javalin
    I have most of my bigger reels set up like that. Fill them with the same pound test spectra as leader I plan too fish plus s hundred yards of the next size up spectra. Example is makaira 15. I put 60# hollow topped with 100 yards 80# hollow.capacity for long soaks and a little extra insurance for the end game

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0