tbev

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
I'm looking for options on a 30# spinning setup. I'm leaning towards a slammer 3 4500, but I don't know what rod to pair it with. I'm leaning towards a popping rod, I want to use it for island \ patty fishing nothing big, poppers mostly maybe snipers and stickbaits too. 7-8ft.

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
saltist or saltiga bay jigging 4000 paired with a OTI oceanxtreme 25-40. Killer setup that everyone I have handed it to loves. Great for throwing lures onto paddies or weed lines. It has fun fighting little dorado but will still put the heat on larger schoolie yellowfin.

Reactions: tbev

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Under $500 is fine, if I can get away cheaper I'd be happy too. That saltiga bay looks really nice but I don't want to spend that much. What you like about the saltist is that over the slammer?
I've heard a few people now talking about OTI but I've never picked one up, sounds great. Is there anywhere I can go look at one that you know of?

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Black Hole Magic Eye 804S. One of the greatest 30-40lb popping rods ever made.
The Slammer 3 is a tough reel, comparable to the Shimano Saragossa. The Saragossa’s reputation doesn’t need any introduction to those familiar with spinning gear. I own both, you can’t go wrong either way.

Reactions: tbev and Cubeye

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
I love my saltists but the slammers are great reels too. The saltist has better line management and casts what feels like a mile. The bay jigging is a different class though. It is a beast of a reel that has put some big pelagics into my boat. Really you can't go wrong with any of them.

caranxo

Jul 26, 2018
canary, spain
Name
jorge
Boat
antares
.....Saltist? is almost the same as bg 4k....at that price this slammer, gosa sw or sw-a is better (for even more retrieve you can opt for 5000 XG RATIO with 6k spool).

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Thanks guys, if anyone has an 804s or OTI 20-50 they want to part with let me know. I'm gonna have to go put my hands on the Saltist and the Goosa, they all seem pretty close, slammer included, spec wise.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Leaning towards the Goosa SW-A, just because it's the newest version of everything I've been looking at.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
saltist or saltiga bay jigging 4000 paired with a OTI oceanxtreme 25-40. Killer setup that everyone I have handed it to loves. Great for throwing lures onto paddies or weed lines. It has fun fighting little dorado but will still put the heat on larger schoolie yellowfin.
Do you happen to know how this compares to the rod you've got? It's the closest thing I can find they'd available from OTI.

TS27102540 TS2 Popping Rod

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
Yeah I actually pulled on a TS2 when I was looking for a new rod. Much less tip but will sling a popper a mile.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
You think I should hold out for the original? I'm new to popping, I don't know jack. Less tip means it's not going to work a popper as well right? The trade of being a little more distance.?

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
less tips means it will be easier to work a popper but you have to mellow down your technique a lot because all the motion of the "pop" is going straight to the lure. The OTI TS2 casts really well because of the top 50% or so not just the tip. Stiff rods are great to start on but only if you plan on strictly popping. Working a stickbait with a stiff popping rod is one of the most uncomfortable things ever. The oceanxtreme is a pretty good all around rod imo that can fish poppers and stickbaits.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Anyone have any other recommendations? I cant get my hands on the previously mentioned sticks.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Anyone have any other recommendations? I cant get my hands on the previously mentioned sticks.
Okuma has a popping rod for around $250. Charkbait has or had a 15% sale going too. I have the larger version, purchased from Charkbait during their FH sale, matched with a Slammer 3 6500HS. Smaller version may go well with 5500 or 4500.

HAWAIIAN CUSTOM POPPING RODS, HWP-S-832MHA

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
You think I should hold out for the original? I'm new to popping, I don't know jack. Less tip means it's not going to work a popper as well right? The trade of being a little more distance.?
If you want to learn more about Popping rods, do a search for "johndtuttle". He gives a lot of good advice on the subject. Here's a sample:

Aug 17, 2020
Most of the domestic "popping" rods are no bueno.

Tips too soft to move a real popper and action too fast that punishes the angler.

Ideal rod is the opposite of a live bait or rail blank. You need a stiff tip to move a popper and a slow action for using a spinning reel.

Stiff tip and faster action if using an LP reel.

He has given lots of good advice, not only on rods, but jigs and lures.
If you're going to occasionally use the rod as a popper, a different choice might be better.

Reactions: tbev and esgeo