30# rod choice for fly lining / casting sardines

Mar 6, 2021
Idaho
Name
Doug James
Boat
None
For the record, I strongly believe that Mark is correct here, but in a sense the whole discussion confuses me. I haven't fished all that many 8-day trips...maybe five or six, if I include 10-day variety trips that are essentially the same as 8-days, just with a couple more days of fishing. I've been to Isla Guadalupe three times, and to Alijos more times than I remember.

I have a hard time remembering any occasion where really casting a sardine long made the difference in getting bit.

Thinking back to my first ever visit to 'Lupe, being able to cast 30 yards or more out to the side would help you keep your bait out of the tangles we had right behind the stern. Those tangles were, I guess, the product of the current and the (relative) inexperience of a lot of the anglers aboard, including myself. Still, in that case getting your bait far enough out wide there and then gave you a good chance to pass by the perpetual mess. On that day, yes being able to cast really was a big deal.

In my experience, though, getting a bait that swims has always been 1000x more important than being able to cast it out far. And that absolutely applies to those times when the fish are line shy. I've seen times when the "strike zone" is easily 200+ yards away from the boat, and there is literally no ne who can cast a sardine that far. The current has to be helping and your bait really has to be swimming. If not, you'll never get there.

Having said all that, I like the UC Wahoo Jr. for 30lbs. I have a 7' one, but I think 7'6" would be ideal as well.

Hey Jim, I can't disagree with you on getting a good bait that swims being the most important thing by far. I had not considered the UC Wahoo Jr. Will definitely take a look at that one. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

Fishingangler

Jan 18, 2007
La Verne, CA
Name
Refugio Garcia
Boat
None
Your question is like asking judges of a Miss America contest to pick their favorite beauty queen. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! The responses you are getting are good in giving and narrowing your considerations. But don't pick the one that gets the most votes. Go to a tackle shop that carries those rods, e.g., Bob Sands and Fisherman's Landing are two good ones. You need to pull on the rods to pick the one that is right for you. Personally, I use a Calstar GF800M - an 8 foot graphite rod that has a soft tip for casting sardines and a backbone to land a fish. Bottom line, pick what is right for you. A good tackle shop can help you do that.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    I've read the CE800 Mega is more on the parabolic side and doesn't have as much lifting power. Has that been your expereince?

Most folks seem to love the GP rods for their incredible strength in the lower section. The tradeoff is losing some suppleness at the tip.

The GP80Mega has more (a lot more, IMO) backbone and power than the CE80Mega. In fact, I'd say it's closer to a CE80Monster and might even be a stronger still.

But keep in mind, the CE is a glass composite, and to me, it's is reminiscent of the classic glass rods without all the weight.

coweyes

• Mar 12, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    coweyes
    Boat
    dd
    Most folks seem to love the GP rods for their incredible strength in the lower section. The tradeoff is losing some suppleness at the tip.

The GP80Mega has more (a lot more, IMO) backbone and power than the CE80Mega. In fact, I'd say it's closer to a CE80Monster and might even be a stronger still.

But keep in mind, the CE is a glass composite, and to me, it's is reminiscent of the classic glass rods without all the weight.
    Second this. I have CE800 Mega, CE 800 Monster and US 76 tilefish JR. If you want a more classic bend of rod that won't hurt your back, go with CE. It has more parabolic bend. US Tilefish JR doesn't have the softer tip as CE Mega. CE Monster is true 40lb rod, 30lb on it is too light (I fish 1/3 of the leader rating for drag tho). CE series rods are light weight, and can be pulled hard.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Quite a while ago, on a Zuker / G Loomis June 7 day, I won a PSR84-30C, G Loomis Pelagic Series rod, apparently no longer available. A 7 footer I now fish with a Penn FTH15LD2 and a 30 lb topshot of mono. If they’re finicky, I’ll tie on about 3’ of fluorocarbon.

Most fun I ever had with it was on a school of football or better size Yellowfin. Bait was small, remember that year? I was nose hooking so I could really sling it. Some of the guys were really struggling, one of them asked me if I was using a weight. :)

We were on the Ridge, Red Rooster 3, Andy was on the tank.
    He said: “If you want to catch a tuna, put your bait in the liquid!”

After filling out my limit, I helped another angler use up some of his tags. Great fun! I like the 30 lb rod so well, I found the 40 lb model available and grabbed it, too.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Dan, thanks for the info on the GP 80 Mega. The GP series seems to be well liked but I get the impression they are pretty fast action. Has that been your experience with the GP 80 Mega?

Yes but not so much you can't adjust quickly. The weight and power you get make it a fun stick to fish with

Reactions: ThunnusThynnus
    Upvote 0

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    engelwurt
    Boat
    wurtdirt
    Others have pretty much covered it, but I'll add my $0.02 anyways.

I have a few UC rods in that range (RCE 80 Mega, 90 Monster and 90 Del Mar, and an RUS80 Monster) as well as a Calstar 270 8’ (all factory wrapped). I’ve also pulled on a most of the factory wrapped UC rods available in that range.

As others have said, it’s all a matter of personal preference and how much drag you fish/how hard you like to pull at a particular line class. In addition, the actions of the different series (i.e. rce vs rus etc) vary quite a bit. It's always best to get to a tackle shop to pull on them, so you can find what fits. Why else have the 1,000 rods that UC offers. Plus it’s fun. But if you can’t get to one, below is by my personal experience, take it with a grain of salt...

The RCE are definitely the most parabolic of the bunch. I think this means most people find themselves more comfortable fishing at the lower end of their rated range. In particular, the RCE 80 Mega is one of the most moderate/slow action rods of the bunch (it's accurately listed by UC as moderate action when compared with the Mod-fast or Fast actions of most the other RCE rods, which are still more parabolic then their all graphite counterparts). It bends from tip to butt. It cast a light bait great, but I wouldn't call it a rod with great lifting power. I'm also not sure it would really cast that much better than other rods with more mod-fast action. If I have one complaint about the rod it’s that the first guide is too high, and with any smaller reel the line will rub on the fore grip. If I were we building one I want to move that guide closer to the reel seat. I'll probably add on at some point. Personally, I find the RCE80 Mega to be a perfect 20-25 lb rod (i.e. 5-8lbs of drag). You can definitely fish 10 on it, but I probably won’t. So, it can be a light 30lb rod, but it's not a 30 lb rod I would want to be outclassed on.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the 270 (unless you mean the 270-8h) is a 30# rod either. If a 270 is a 30# rod for you, maybe the mega is too, but the actions are very different. I would also say that the 270 does shut off quite a bit higher then the mega.

If I were picking a 8ft rod for 30lb within the RCE line it’d be an 80 monster for sure. In the RUS line it looks like there may be 5+ choices that could fit the bill. I would think that the RUS 80 Mega and RUS 80 Tilefish Jr are great options too (but I've only pulled on a 76).

There is a good thread that shows the bend on some uc rods here (https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/uc-bent-rods.757260/). Below are a couple pictures of the RCE Mega that are grainy but hopefully illustrative. I could probably take some of the calstar if it helps.

RCE80 Mega 5lbs
    RCE80Mega5lbs.png

RCE80Mega5lbs2.png

RCE80 Mega 7.5lbs
    RCE80Mega7p5lbs.png

RCE80Mega7p5lbs2.png

10lbs
    RCE80Mega10lbs.png

RCE80Mega10lbs2.png

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Strictly a Rider

I have a few UC rods in that range (RCE 80 Mega, 90 Monster and 90 Del Mar, and an RUS80 Monster) as well as a Calstar 270 8’ (all factory wrapped). I’ve also pulled on a most of the factory wrapped UC rods available in that range.

As others have said, it’s all a matter of personal preference and how much drag you fish/how hard you like to pull at a particular line class. In addition, the actions of the different series (i.e. rce vs rus etc) vary quite a bit. It's always best to get to a tackle shop to pull on them, so you can find what fits. Why else have the 1,000 rods that UC offers. Plus it’s fun. But if you can’t get to one, below is by my personal experience, take it with a grain of salt...

The RCE are definitely the most parabolic of the bunch. I think this means most people find themselves more comfortable fishing at the lower end of their rated range. In particular, the RCE 80 Mega is one of the most moderate/slow action rods of the bunch (it's accurately listed by UC as moderate action when compared with the Mod-fast or Fast actions of most the other RCE rods, which are still more parabolic then their all graphite counterparts). It bends from tip to butt. It cast a light bait great, but I wouldn't call it a rod with great lifting power. I'm also not sure it would really cast that much better than other rods with more mod-fast action. If I have one complaint about the rod it’s that the first guide is too high, and with any smaller reel the line will rub on the fore grip. If I were we building one I want to move that guide closer to the reel seat. I'll probably add on at some point. Personally, I find the RCE80 Mega to be a perfect 20-25 lb rod (i.e. 5-8lbs of drag). You can definitely fish 10 on it, but I probably won’t. So, it can be a light 30lb rod, but it's not a 30 lb rod I would want to be outclassed on.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the 270 (unless you mean the 270-8h) is a 30# rod either. If a 270 is a 30# rod for you, maybe the mega is too, but the actions are very different. I would also say that the 270 does shut off quite a bit higher then the mega.

If I were picking a 8ft rod for 30lb within the RCE line it’d be an 80 monster for sure. In the RUS line it looks like there may be 5+ choices that could fit the bill. I would think that the RUS 80 Mega and RUS 80 Tilefish Jr are great options too (but I've only pulled on a 76).

There is a good thread that shows the bend on some uc rods here (https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/uc-bent-rods.757260/). Below are a couple pictures of the RCE Mega that are grainy but hopefully illustrative. I could probably take some of the calstar if it helps.

RCE80 Mega 5lbs
    View attachment 1261852
    View attachment 1261853
    RCE80 Mega 7.5lbsView attachment 1261854
    View attachment 1261855
    10lbs
    View attachment 1261857
    View attachment 1261858

Excellent analysis!

Upvote 0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Idaho
    Name
    Doug James
    Boat
    None

RCE80 Mega 5lbs
    View attachment 1261852
    View attachment 1261853
    View attachment 1261855
    10lbs
    View attachment 1261857
    View attachment 1261858

RCE80 Mega 5lbs
    View attachment 1261852
    View attachment 1261853
    View attachment 1261855
    10lbs
    View attachment 1261857
    View attachment 1261858
    Wow, what a great analysis! And the photos are super helpful, both the ones you provided here and the ones you linked in the other thread. The pictures helped me a lot in visualizing the action. Thank you!!

Based on your description and the photos you provided, I think you’re right about the RCE Mega probably being a little light for 30#, and maybe a little too parabolic for my tastes. But is looks fun for 20-25 as you said. I appreciate you sharing your observation about the first guide being too far from the real seat. I will take that into account if I end up building one.

You’re right about the 270. I meant to say the 270h-8 in my original post. That’s a rod I’ve always enjoyed for 25-30 but I’m excited to try some of the lighter graphite and composite rods.

I’m seriously considering the RCE 80 Monster and the RUS 80 Mega or 80Tilefish Jr. Sounds like the RCE might be a little closer in action to the 270h-8 I’m used to and the two RUS options might be a little faster in action. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for sharing so much great info here. It’s really helpful!!

Upvote 0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Idaho
    Name
    Doug James
    Boat
    None
    Quite a while ago, on a Zuker / G Loomis June 7 day, I won a PSR84-30C, G Loomis Pelagic Series rod, apparently no longer available. A 7 footer I now fish with a Penn FTH15LD2 and a 30 lb topshot of mono. If they’re finicky, I’ll tie on about 3’ of fluorocarbon.

Most fun I ever had with it was on a school of football or better size Yellowfin. Bait was small, remember that year? I was nose hooking so I could really sling it. Some of the guys were really struggling, one of them asked me if I was using a weight. :)

We were on the Ridge, Red Rooster 3, Andy was on the tank.
    He said: “If you want to catch a tuna, put your bait in the liquid!”

After filling out my limit, I helped another angler use up some of his tags. Great fun! I like the 30 lb rod so well, I found the 40 lb model available and grabbed it, too.
    Hey Steve, that does sound fun! Reminds me of some days I've fished many years ago for albacore and schoolie tune, mostly using anchovies back then. It definitely helps when you can get your bait out to where the chum is being tossed off the downwind corner. I'm really dating myself here...back then I used a Squidder Jr with a plastic spool, which did cast much better than the metal spools but I broke a few of them when the pressure got to be too much. Then there was Newell...so much better. Good memories!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Idaho
    Name
    Doug James
    Boat
    None
    Second this. I have CE800 Mega, CE 800 Monster and US 76 tilefish JR. If you want a more classic bend of rod that won't hurt your back, go with CE. It has more parabolic bend. US Tilefish JR doesn't have the softer tip as CE Mega. CE Monster is true 40lb rod, 30lb on it is too light (I fish 1/3 of the leader rating for drag tho). CE series rods are light weight, and can be pulled hard.
    Thank you for the insight, coweyes. Great info.

Upvote 0
    Mar 6, 2021
    Idaho
    Name
    Doug James
    Boat
    None

Thank you, I like the idea of a lighter weight rod with action similar to the classic glass rods.

Upvote 0

Fingerling

Almost A Member
    Apr 19, 2017
    Corona
    Name
    Jesse
    Boat
    Parker 17'
    A rod I like that doesn't get a lot of attention on the threads is a US 85 Phantom, both GP and non GP. I won one on a trip one time and caught a white sea bass on it, then I forgot about it as it got buried behind the other 30 UC rods I have in the rack.
    On my last 8 day, I told myself I was going to make it my go to 30# rod on the trip to get a full feel for it. I had it paired with a Trinidad 14a, it was fun catching dorado, yft up to 35# and about a 100 mixed smaller sized yt/skipjack.
    Now it goes out with me on every trip to fling live bait.

Upvote 0

PullOnThis

Almost A Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    California
    Name
    PullOnThis One
    Boat
    Floating beer cooler
    Calstar Gg 270-8-H. Done.

It’s not the skinny diameter rod you are looking for, but it checks all the other boxes and it’s just plain fun to fish at 30lbs.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs
    Upvote 0

shooter21

Aug 30, 2014
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Shane
    Boat
    Someday
    If you want moderate action glass tip get either the RCE 800 mega, it is idea for casting a bait, the other option is the US 85 phantom a US mega tip with a bit of the monster in the butt.

Reactions: Bob Sands
    Upvote 0

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    engelwurt
    Boat
    wurtdirt
    Wow, what a great analysis! And the photos are super helpful, both the ones you provided here and the ones you linked in the other thread. The pictures helped me a lot in visualizing the action. Thank you!!

Based on your description and the photos you provided, I think you’re right about the RCE Mega probably being a little light for 30#, and maybe a little too parabolic for my tastes. But is looks fun for 20-25 as you said. I appreciate you sharing your observation about the first guide being too far from the real seat. I will take that into account if I end up building one.

You’re right about the 270. I meant to say the 270h-8 in my original post. That’s a rod I’ve always enjoyed for 25-30 but I’m excited to try some of the lighter graphite and composite rods.

I’m seriously considering the RCE 80 Monster and the RUS 80 Mega or 80Tilefish Jr. Sounds like the RCE might be a little closer in action to the 270h-8 I’m used to and the two RUS options might be a little faster in action. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for sharing so much great info here. It’s really helpful!!

You can’t go wrong with any of those rods, but they will all behave fairly differently. I would say the RCE 80 Monster is still more parabolic then the 270h, or at least it will bend into/near the foregrip. I haven’t felt the 270h in a while, but I believe it shuts off more like the 270 which is higher up the blank. My guess is that the US Mega will be closer and the US Tilefish Jr closer still, but there are other rods in the US and RGP line that you could still consider. It might be a challenge to find a rod which is exactly like the 270h in the UC lineup. Then again, you may just find a rod you like better! I'll bet you do. If you want build a US Mega and Tilefish Jr., I'll buy whichever one you like least. Somehow I doubt I would get a rod though.

I don't think you should be afraid that the all graphite offerings are too fast. This has not been my experience, especially with UC. Maybe this was true in the early days of graphite, but no longer.

At this point your well beyond my depth, and the right recourse it to talk to a good tackle shop. I would contact Jamie at Bob Sands. He seems to be extremely knowledgeable on the whole UC line and willing to share. Plus he can ship you the rod when you're done.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.

RCE80 Mega 5lbs
    View attachment 1261852
    View attachment 1261853
    View attachment 1261855
    10lbs
    View attachment 1261857
    View attachment 1261858
    Now this is data...no objectivity...just data! Nice!

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Throwing bait a long way has way more to do with angler skill than rod selection. The rod and reel options are almost endless. If fish are under 50 lbs., then a 9' rod will throw bait further than 8' or 7' (everything else being equal). Fiberglass rods are more fun to cast, but composites really help the end game. It all depends what you enjoy most. It is a personal preference (very subjective) what feels best to you. Wait until you can feel them in-person before making a final decision. Especially considering the cost of rods these days!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    How hard do you pull on 30#? For MOST folks, the CE800Mega.
    Drag? I set my drag for 30 pound line for Strike at 7-8 pounds (line thru rod to scale) on star drag reels.... but might set Strike at 10 pounds on my lever drags and begin below Strike for a circle hook and then that first run. Going to the 10 pounds for lift or toward the end of a fight.
    PS
    If you are hooked up and there is a mess in the landing corner of the boat you may want to move the fish (if you can) laterally to an open rail, or slow your retrieve to let the corner clear - if no sea lions or sharks.
    Tight Lines

Reactions: nicodemus

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    For the record, I strongly believe that Mark is correct here, but in a sense the whole discussion confuses me. I haven't fished all that many 8-day trips...maybe five or six, if I include 10-day variety trips that are essentially the same as 8-days, just with a couple more days of fishing. I've been to Isla Guadalupe three times, and to Alijos more times than I remember.

I have a hard time remembering any occasion where really casting a sardine long made the difference in getting bit.

Thinking back to my first ever visit to 'Lupe, being able to cast 30 yards or more out to the side would help you keep your bait out of the tangles we had right behind the stern. Those tangles were, I guess, the product of the current and the (relative) inexperience of a lot of the anglers aboard, including myself. Still, in that case getting your bait far enough out wide there and then gave you a good chance to pass by the perpetual mess. On that day, yes being able to cast really was a big deal.

In my experience, though, getting a bait that swims has always been 1000x more important than being able to cast it out far. And that absolutely applies to those times when the fish are line shy. I've seen times when the "strike zone" is easily 200+ yards away from the boat, and there is literally no one who can cast a sardine that far. The current has to be helping and your bait really has to be swimming. If not, you'll never get there.

Having said all that, I like the UC Wahoo Jr. for 30lbs. I have a 7' one, but I think 7'6" would be ideal as well.
    I like the discussion about distance. Let me add that the most crucial distance is far enough away from the boat that the wise and scared bait doesn't turn around and swim under the boat.
    Also relative accuracy -- not crossing existing lines or hook-ups --- is also important, even though you can't miss the ocean (as is often said).
    And, not casting so high / hard as to stun the bait when it hits the water....a soft but effectively long cast.
    It may be just a careful under-hand lob cast away from the boat that lands a healthy vigorous bait.
    The answer seems to be comfortable with the gear you chose and the gear you use.
    Tight Lines.