fyermn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Birdie; I am with you. How are anglers setting up the Mak 20? I just bought one also. Great Price at Charkbait.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I am a tackle whore... But the only Makaira I really, really want is a Mak 15T. Not on sale.
Bill, Pelagic Outfitters has a black friday sale of 20% off storewide. Puts the 15T about $440. I already have one and I really really love this reel.

Reactions: Bill W

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
Oct 7, 2006
los alamitos
Name
brian
Boat
whatever floats
They do in CA since based here. My guess is they don’t since not required shipping out of state but I don’t know for sure.
Thanks. J&H doesn’t and they have a 15% discount. Comes out to be pretty close price wise.

And I agree, the 15T is an awesome reel! Have mine paired with a UC GP Terminator. Feels like they were made for each other!

Reactions: solid72

Nefarious

Jul 31, 2020
San Diego
Name
Leon
Boat
NA
What line you guys putting on your Mak50 order? Or are you spooling it later? I was going to purchase a VISX.... buuuuuut..... just saw this deal today!!!

DennisP

Oct 9, 2020
San Diego
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
What line you guys putting on your Mak50 order? Or are you spooling it later? I was going to purchase a VISX.... buuuuuut..... just saw this deal today!!!
If you’re good with 130 lb hallow hard to beat their deals on line with the free 300 yards.

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
What line you guys putting on your Mak50 order. I was going to purchase a VISX.... buuuuuut..... just saw this deal today!!!
I got 2 Penn VISX50 which is the same as MAK50 and got 130# hollow on one and 150# solid on the other. You are most likely set drag at 30# drag which is 23% of 130# so I would go 130.

Reactions: FishRock

JHJ32883

May 4, 2008
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Jay
Boat
N/A
Bill, Pelagic Outfitters has a black friday sale of 20% off storewide. Puts the 15T about $440. I already have one and I really really love this reel.
Do they charge sales tax?
Pelagic outfitters is in NY. I don't think they do. Didn't a year ago when I layy bought from them.
Just a heads up. I had a bunch of issues with them shipping stuff extremely late and eventually, never sent me an item from a large order about a year ago. What I've gathered is that they basically take your order, charge your card, then attempt to fill that order (at least for high demand items) with their distributors. For two orders I placed with, I probably had 10 emails and probably as many phone calls (eventually, they stopped replying to emails and I just had to call them during their hours of business). Their site wasn't up to date with what's in stock. If you do a search "Pelagic Outfitters Review". You'll see a number of reviews with similar stories. YMMV

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I’ve bought probably 20 or more reels through/from them, either directly or through Amazon. I did have a delay on my Mak 16, but that was several years ago when no one was getting stocked on them. Otherwise I’ve done quite well with them and would use them any time.
As far as sales tax, if you buy something from out of state that doesn’t charge the sales tax, you are supposed to report it and pay it yourself. I’ll just leave that there.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Just so you all know, the Charkbait sale on the Makairas does not include any free braid. Just a deep discount.

wahbam

May 18, 2013
Irvine
Name
PATRICK THUNYAKIJ
Boat
None
Also ordered a Mask 20! Would be a good idea to dump 400 yards of 100 lb izorline solid braid from another reel onto it and have them fill it to the rim with 100 lb hollow core?

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Also ordered a Mask 20! Would be a good idea to dump 400 yards of 100 lb izorline solid braid from another reel onto it and have them fill it to the rim with 100 lb hollow core?
Not sure what a Mask 20 is. :-) Regarding spooling, you can go either way with solid and hollow depending on how you rig. If you want the hollow on the working end for inserting leaders or splicing in a loop then your plan works great. If you use a knot to attach your leader you might consider reversing so the solid is on the working end since it is much cheaper to replace if it gets damaged.

wahbam

May 18, 2013
Irvine
Name
PATRICK THUNYAKIJ
Boat
None
Not sure what a Mask 20 is. :-) Regarding spooling, you can go either way with solid and hollow depending on how you rig. If you want the hollow on the working end for inserting leaders or splicing in a loop then your plan works great. If you use a knot to attach your leader you might consider reversing so the solid is on the working end since it is much cheaper to replace if it gets damaged.
Oops, I had sticky fingers from fantasizing about my new toy, the Makaria 20! :drool:
At the moment I am interested in having the hollow core on the working end but I may only be able to spool on 600 yards of Hollow core. I am hoping to put on at least 700 yards of 100 lb line.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Not sure what diameter the Izorline is but you should get close to 700 yards with anything around .52 mm. Some solid is actually larger diameter than the hollow from the same source.

Nefarious

Jul 31, 2020
San Diego
Name
Leon
Boat
NA
Picked up the 50 yesterday - now out of stock
Debating on picking up a 20, however, already have a Fathom 40 and a smaller 25 NLD2. I know not the same beast... just wondering if I shell out the cash now while its on sale for a 20.... and maybe just keep is on the side somewhere

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
Picked up the 50 yesterday - now out of stock
Debating on picking up a 20, however, already have a Fathom 40 and a smaller 25 NLD2. I know not the same beast... just wondering if I shell out the cash now while its on sale for a 20.... and maybe just keep is on the side somewhere
You should DEFINITELY pick up the Mak 20 while it's on sale! The Fathom 25 and 40 aren't going to cover the 80-100# line class. BUY BUY BUY!!!

Reactions: wahbam

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
I have never had any issues with Pelagic Outfitters, but then again I never order any thing last minute. Just ordered my 15T through them. Their Black Friday discount code is SAVE20. Their website wouldn’t accept it for the 15T so I sent them an e-mail. Received a response within 5 minutes. They asked me to call, I did, and my order, with discount, is completed.

For those interested, you can save 20% by purchasing a discounted gift card from Squidco; check out their site for options.

Reactions: wahbam and FishRock

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Pretty sure all the Mak SEA models come with a neoprene cover. At least all mine have.

Right now the only reels left at Charkbait are the Mak 10 SEAs. All the 50s, 20s, and 15s are gone.

Reactions: esgeo and birdie800