TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Izorline has been a long-time favorite. Lately, I’ve also been using Sufix Superior in smoke blue. It’s not a brand you hear about much on the west coast, but it’s been impressive.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Fresh(ie new) Mono that I test before going on a trip. If it breaks anywhere 15% below rated, it gets taken back...

Lots of things can happen to mono after manufacturing. Just being old on the shelf can be one thing. Heat is another. I like your thinking. Soft Steel is made by Asso in Italy. Izor is made in Taiwan. Suffix Superior is a brand that comes up a lot in reviews, as Big Game and Ande. For our particular Long Range group Izor is chosen, but it 's diameter is larger. 60# Izor breaks at 92# and there is no magic formula, except diameter.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Izorline has been a long-time favorite. Lately, I’ve also been using Sufix Superior in smoke blue. It’s not a brand you hear about much on the west coast, but it’s been impressive.
    Using long 50 lb topshots for YoYo iron as well as Wahoo gear, I grabbed a sale priced spool of Suffix a few years ago at the L.B. Fred. Working out so far.

Reactions: freegaff2 and TOTW
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Kind of surprising all the guff (not from Steve K.) I got asking about possibly trying a new type of Dyneema line and seeing all these comments from people using mono that is over a year old. Pretty much the only line failures I have had have been using mono that is over a year old. I stopped doing that a long time ago. Only reason I would buy a bulk spool of mono today is if I were spooling a bunch of reels. Even then I would probably just have the crew spool me up on the boat since they will certainly have good quality and fresh line to do it with.

I do like Izor and Ande.

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$
    Kind of surprising all the guff (not from Steve K.) I got asking about possibly trying a new type of Dyneema line and seeing all these comments from people using mono that is over a year old. Pretty much the only line failures I have had have been using mono that is over a year old. I stopped doing that a long time ago. Only reason I would buy a bulk spool of mono today is if I were spooling a bunch of reels. Even then I would probably just have the crew spool me up on the boat since they will certainly have good quality and fresh line to do it with.

I do like Izor and Ande.
    I have spools of Izor and Andi that are several years old and the line is cherry. Heat and light are what I've been told break it down and my stuff is stored in a cool dark place.
    I haven't had any issues with line breakage in a very long time. I also re tie often and strip down if my line has rubbed or been compromised.

I like 50 lb mono on the yo yo, it's just easier on my hands. I also like a 1/3 of a spool of 40 or 50 on the long rod although I go back and forth to straight spectra too. It's just so hard on my hands and the cuts just bother me a lot more these days.

Keep those bulk spools cool and in a bag or closet and they will stay nice.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    50# mono and under. I use berkley trilene big game. Color clear. Berkley line has been great to me with quality control and I know it's limits. Been using it forever so that makes me comfortable with lower diameter line.

50# mono and under. No access to berkley big game. Then Izor.

60# mono and over, Izor.

Flouro, seaguar

I asked a great deck hand why he prefers izorline. His answer was (because I like to land what I hook)

I store all line in a black duffel bag. Stored in a cool dark dry place

Last edited:
    Reactions: SCHeadhunter
    Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    I keep my bulk spools of Izorline in a refrigerator. I have had spools of 40 and 50 for several years and it is just like new.

I don't fish mono very often. I have a couple of jig reels that I use it on for local yoyo/dropper loop fishing. Ande and Izor have always been my only 2 choices.

Reactions: SCHeadhunter
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    3658F1BA-5FF1-4541-8F14-926160ACE0CC.jpeg
    Got this stuff at close out price at Sav-On tackle. Who makes it, who knows... Has the diameter displayed on spool. Would not hesitate on buying it again as hanging a jig on the bottom was almost impossible to break. Darn... forgot to bring it on last trip.

Yep... 14 bucks for 1 pound. Put the Penn name on it.

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
    Foster City, CA
    Name
    Wendell Fox
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 17
    tried some Cortland for this trip...utter crap. Drag set at 13# on the 40, and was busting fish off when they went up and down...same with the 30# at 9# of drag(measured). Line was brand new. No chafing where it broke...mainline, not a the knot. Drags smooth, and guides were smooth, no cuts there. Just broke. What is your go to mono...these fish did not need flouro to bite. Thinking I'll just go back to Soft Steel, but open to suggestions...Izor XXX, Big Game, P Line...whatta ya like, and why. :( :( :(
    Izorline xxx

Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
    Jul 30, 2015
    Novato, CA
    Name
    BKAZ
    Boat
    None
    I use an Izor mono topshot on almost all my reels, but I do have a 100 lb Soft Steel top shot that I used on a dropper loop last year at the Lupe. I was able to pull up several 45+ lb yellowtail and an estimated 150 lb black sea bass (of course safely released) without getting rocked.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Lots of things can happen to mono after manufacturing. Just being old on the shelf can be one thing. Heat is another. I like your thinking. Soft Steel is made by Asso in Italy. Izor is made in Taiwan. Suffix Superior is a brand that comes up a lot in reviews, as Big Game and Ande. For our particular Long Range group Izor is chosen, but it 's diameter is larger. 60# Izor breaks at 92# and there is no magic formula, except diameter.

IZOR used to be made in Taiwan but they have shifted manufacturing to
    CHINA . Look closely at any newly purchased spool. Previously used nothing but the XXX copolymer however due to recent failures of the Chinese made line I am also looking for a substitute. IF you still have a bulk spool of the Taiwan made line treasure it like gold. It is the best line I have ever tested.
    Walt

Upvote 0

Bonitatackle

Feb 7, 2018
    Bonita Springs
    Name
    Shug C
    Boat
    None
    CHINA . Look closely at any newly purchased spool. Previously used nothing but the XXX copolymer however due to recent failures of the Chinese made line I am also looking for a substitute. IF you still have a bulk spool of the Taiwan made line treasure it like gold. It is the best line I have ever tested.
    Walt

How long ago did they change because alll the bulk spools here in my store say extruded in Taiwan.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Guess I have to disqualify myself on this post. I have been on the Rooster for so long that I either get free line fill ups from line sponsored trips or from the boat's supply which is Izor. The Rooster has a quality line winding machine. The Supreme uses P-line. In all fairness to Craig post He asked me on the boat what line I use and I should have answered what the boat has would be fine.

Reactions: freegaff2
    Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
    Feb 16, 2012
    Culver City, CA
    Name
    Connor
    Boat
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    I tend to use straight braid to flouro for bait, but all of my jigging setups are spooled with Soft Steel.

-Connor

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Walt

It would be a interesting test to compare Taiwan xxx compared to China XXX....diameter and strength....

Reactions: terryc.
    Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    my 2 cents

izor XXX and seguar premier is the shizzle

As a point of interest that most are not aware of,,,, Segura Premier is
    an IGFA rated line, it's printed on the spool lable in fine print. Which means that it has no over test as normal fluoro does. Usually 25-30% over test. It is also a couple of thousandths thinner then normal fluoro of comparable test. Which is a benefit as it is less visible. Just be aware that , as an example, you would
    treat 20 lb test like it was 15 lb test.

.37 cents of information for your consideration.
    Walt

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    In regards to seaguar. Used two 90# sato crimps for 100# premier when it first came out. Seaguar sent me a nice package. Scattered big fish around the boat with the targets first seen off the bow on the fish machine. All largers. Boat went into drift. Greenie on 100# premier off the bow. Hoping to cut the fish off on thier way to the stern chum while fishing part of the field alone. That never happened. The fish remained scattered and not related to the boat. Long soaked champ greenie. Grey hound crash bite. Took a few seconds to feel the bite at the spool. Was not 100% sure the first nano seconds the blow out was on me. Luckily it was. Only bite that drift. 220lb

Used 80# crimps for regular seaguar 90#.

No idea if those diameters are still correct to this day

Upvote 0