30/40 # mono help

Dexter Outdoors

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
tried some Cortland for this trip...utter crap. Drag set at 13# on the 40, and was busting fish off when they went up and down...same with the 30# at 9# of drag(measured). Line was brand new. No chafing where it broke...mainline, not a the knot. Drags smooth, and guides were smooth, no cuts there. Just broke. What is your go to mono...these fish did not need flouro to bite. Thinking I'll just go back to Soft Steel, but open to suggestions...Izor XXX, Big Game, P Line...whatta ya like, and why. :( :( :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I use Izor First String, have for the last 30 years. If you hook 40lb on the bottom on a private boat, the only way your going to break it off is to pull your anchor and break it off by driving away, 50lb, good luck.

Upvote 0

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
Jun 14, 2009
Flux
Name
Ted
Boat
anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
Fresh(ie new) Mono that I test before going on a trip. If it breaks anywhere 15% below rated, it gets taken back...

Reactions: freegaff2
Upvote 0

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    Ande for me! Been using it since I was a kid fishing on the pier in Redondo beach. 2nd would be izorline in smoke color. My best friend swears by this line.

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    I like pink colored Ande line
    Just the right amount of stretch to it for me
    Oh and no matter what you use understand that stuff happens ,and no matter what , things fail sometimes
    Good luck

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 21, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    Sold and Gone!!!
    When i did use Soft Steel......Was the absolute best !!! Never had it tested but felt stronger than others and quite ideally limp for our bait-style of fishing.
    Now just use straight Braid to Fluoro .

Reactions: speyman
    Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Izor only...
    Super strong and doesn't break.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I like the co-polymer lines like Izor XXX over the straight mono lines. They are just a little softer, smoother, not as stiff. I think bait swims better. But the good old classic mono lines like Big Game or Ande Pink still catch a lot of fish. I have a cast length plus a bit on all of my reels over the braid, and change it before the next trip. And my reels don't live in a hot garage, they get the same inside-closet care of dress shoes. It really helps with your mono.

Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I use Izorline first string or Seaguar blue label and expect to gaff the fish. I have tried other line with unfortunate results. After losing three nice 50+ bluefin in a row using another line a famous deckhand Uncle Larry of the Royal Star asked if I wanted to catch fish or release them. I handed him my rod and he spooled it with Izorline - that was in 1999 or 2000. I have used Izor since then with very good results.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    1537831052104.jpg

I've got a big ass spool. Where you at?

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Guys,when comparing mono I always look at or check diameter first.A bigger diameter 20lb will almost always test stronger.If you want to know what your really fishing, fish IGFA line.It will test wet at or under the KG class its marked.FYI,mono loose strength when wet.I believe IGFA soaked line for 2 hours before testing.In the biz I used to be in I could fish virtually any line for free.I always fished Big Game first and Izor for my dear departed friend second.FWIW,Tom

Reactions: Haly0 and Bill W
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Cortland mono? Craig I didn’t know they made mono for our use. I’ve used their
    C-16 Hollow Spectra for inserted topshots, the 80 lb and the 100 lb with zero failures. What led you to their mono and where the heck did you get it?

Welcome back, I understand you caught a fish. ;)

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    son in law picked it up for me at Bass Pro in SAC...I told him Big Game, they were out, and he didn't understand the difference...had no choice but to try it...:(

Upvote 0