TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
  • May 22, 2013
    some where on the water
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    High on the Goat
    It is at Goatrams getting a notch cut and welded in the new taller transom so the motor will tuck in when tilted up, then bringing home to clean her up and get her on the market. Gotta do something so I can add Raymarine to the new boat.
    So what's your new boat?

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
  • May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    3 and counting!
    Hey Master Chief, What is that guy doing with your boat for an avatar?

Ducker!

Upvote 0

orlings

Jun 3, 2013
    Woodinville/WA/King
    Name
    Orlin Sorensen
    Boat
    Duckworth Offshore 26
    @orlings Thanks for taking us on this journey and allowing us to watch this build. I have a vested interest in the past week on this build, but you probably don’t know why. You see, you going through the process of upgrading has allowed me and my wife to buy our “Dream Boat” being your 2010 Duckworth Offshore 26. We are looking forward to watching the final portion of your big build in the coming weeks and hope that the new boat gives you and your family as much joy and happiness as your old boat will to us! Thanks again for the journey,
    Sincerly, Chad
    AKA Master Chief
    Command Master Chief
    US NAVY retired
    1988-2018

It’s great to hear it will be going into good hands! I have to admit it was kind of bittersweet dropping her off at Three Rivers for the last time, but good to know you will enjoy as much as we did. Congratulations and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Upvote 0

Master Chief

• Aug 18, 2009
    Sedro Woolley, Washington
    Name
    Chad Lukehart
    Boat
    Alumacraft Navigator Sport 185, ETEC 150, Duckworth Offshore 26
    It’s great to hear it will be going into good hands! I have to admit it was kind of bittersweet dropping her off at Three Rivers for the last time, but good to know you will enjoy as much as we did. Congratulations and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
    Thank You! And I will try to keep the questions to a minimum.

Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    Looking at purchasing a 30 duck how is this boat holding up

We ordered our XL 30 in mid August 2020, took delivery early March 2021. Bottom paint at Agate Marine, then had the boat in the water by mid April. Shout out to wldlifebio for hooking me up with a can of Shark Hyde. Installed electronics myself. I have about 40 hours on her so far... we also bought a new house in May and moved in June, and then took a 6 week road trip July thru Mid-August... so my summer plans for the boat got FUBAR'd setting up the new house etc etc. Been shrimping more than anything, and we've done a few trips to the San Juans. Caught some small lings, one day of halibut fishing, and been salmon fishing a few times so far. I'll be hitting Area 11 and 13 pretty hard for the next month to try and make up for lost time. This season has been a mess for me, but next year I plan to be fishing a lot.

Overall I am very happy with the boat. I was supposed to be out in Westport last week but family/home responsibilities FUBAR'd that too. So I haven't had it in more than 3-4' waves but she handles great. A little slow out of the hole... thinking I might try 4 blade props or drop the engines one notch. Cruising in the sound I can get almost 1.7mpg. Let's call it 1.65 hand calculated with slack current. At 3900rpm I'm cruising at 30-32mph. At 3400rpm its around 25-26. And she tops out around 47mph on the GPS (motors say 51mph). The 300's require 89 octane so i started using Boostane and it works well. I definitely notice more power.

1630687784307.jpeg

Wifey & daughter bringing in the goods.
    1630687697505.jpeg

I'm in Gig Harbor. If you're a serious buyer, and vaccinated, come down and check her out.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    We ordered our XL 30 in mid August 2020, took delivery early March 2021. Bottom paint at Agate Marine, then had the boat in the water by mid April. Shout out to wldlifebio for hooking me up with a can of Shark Hyde. Installed electronics myself. I have about 40 hours on her so far... we also bought a new house in May and moved in June, and then took a 6 week road trip July thru Mid-August... so my summer plans for the boat got FUBAR'd setting up the new house etc etc. Been shrimping more than anything, and we've done a few trips to the San Juans. Caught some small lings, one day of halibut fishing, and been salmon fishing a few times so far. I'll be hitting Area 11 and 13 pretty hard for the next month to try and make up for lost time. This season has been a mess for me, but next year I plan to be fishing a lot.

Overall I am very happy with the boat. I was supposed to be out in Westport last week but family/home responsibilities FUBAR'd that too. So I haven't had it in more than 3-4' waves but she handles great. A little slow out of the hole... thinking I might try 4 blade props or drop the engines one notch. Cruising in the sound I can get almost 1.7mpg. Let's call it 1.65 hand calculated with slack current. At 3900rpm I'm cruising at 30-32mph. At 3400rpm its around 25-26. And she tops out around 47mph on the GPS (motors say 51mph). The 300's require 89 octane so i started using Boostane and it works well. I definitely notice more power.

View attachment 1315130

Wifey & daughter bringing in the goods.
    View attachment 1315129

I'm in Gig Harbor. If you're a serious buyer, and vaccinated, come down and check her out.
    I would approach 4 blade props on that hull with an abundance of caution. They work pretty well on ass heavy boats but can induce some very uncomfortable bow steer in a bigger following sea on boats that are not ass heavy. This is due to 4 blade props tendency to slightly add lift to the stern on step. They turned my boat’s down swell handling into a hot scary mess. I think Patrick (Tailwalker) experienced the same on his Coldwater.

Last edited:
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    What do you do for work and who do I send a resume to? 😀
    Sounds like a great summer to me!

Lol yes its been a great summer, just a bit frustrating to have this beautiful fishing machine not being utilized to its potential, especially when I see all the great days people are posting about here on BD.

The plan is to run charters but with Covid still looming I scrapped it for this year. I'm also the stay at home parent for our 6-year old daughter. Before I was a parent I did environmental consulting for power line builds, DoD, wildlife biology, and stormwater consulting. My wife is in sales. She bought the boat, I just drive it. ;)

Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    I would approach 4 blade props on that hull with an abundance of caution. They work pretty well on ass heavy boats but can induce some very uncomfortable bow steer in a bigger following sea on boats that are not ass heavy. This is due to 4 blade props tendency to slightly add lift to the stern on step. They turned my boat’s down swell handling into a hot scary mess. I think Patrick (Tailwalker) experienced the same on his Coldwater.

I was wondering about that since they're supposed to help with "lift". The XL 30 is bow-heavy for sure. Thanks for that, I'll see what else I can do.

The issue seems to be when starting from slow speed and getting on plane. I keep the engines trimmed one or two bars from the bottom, moderately bring rpms to 2500, allow the boatspeed to come up, then moderately bring the rpms to 3700 or 4000 and trimming up two more notches. At that point the props seem to slip/cavitate and then when they grab water the rpms drop back down to 3400 or 3500 and start coming up again. Seems like cavitation. If anyone has a diagnosis I'm all ears. Drop the motors one notch and kill some mpg? Once up on plane she's fine.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Is she reaching close to max rated rpm at full throttle? What is the diameter and pitch of your current props? And here is a timeless nugget passed on to me from Jay Fields about chartering especially around here. The way to make million dollars chartering is to start out with two million.8-)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    Yes I'm hitting 6100rpm at WOT with a light load.

As for chartering, I'm not trying to make my living on it, its more supplemental as my schedule allows. This place would be very difficult to make it a full time biz.

Upvote 0

PSULion

Apr 9, 2019
    WA
    Name
    Me
    Boat
    13' Gregor
    Watching this thread, similar dynamics on my Coldwater. WOT 6100, bow heavy. combat loaded 1.0-1.2 cruise @ 4300/4400 with 15’s, feel some slippage. going to sea trial with SWS2 17’s and Merc rev 4 blade 15’s this weekend to see what lowers planing speed best here on the sound. May find that I run 4 blades on the sound, 3 on the outside for best results. Ballast a variable too.

Cant fish, gotta tinker. Sorry for derail.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    @PSULion dont run the 4blades. You will die. Your solution is 425’s and weight in the transom bucket and lazeeette. Karl’s walkaround is bow heavy. I can only imagine how yours feels.
    For your boat I would find the biggest blade/surface area x Diameter prop you can spin on those 300’s.

my boat did the same thing you and @ShiverMeTimbersPNW mentioned on takeoff. Especially in rough water or with a slight turn to port or starboard. It went away as soon as the bow lifted.

Good luck Barry, and let me know when your 300’s are for sale. I need a set😂😂😂🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    It still baffles me why other brands don’t follow Suzuki’s lead and offer lower gear ratios in the lower units that allow for swinging a bigger wheel. These big heavy boats y’all are running these days need more prop in the water.

Upvote 0

PSULion

Apr 9, 2019
    WA
    Name
    Me
    Boat
    13' Gregor
    Yeah hindsight 20/20 probably would go 425’s for the extra 700# and also for the on the water LU service. the 300’s work fine and get the job done - I’m cruising around 24-28kt at 43/44 depending on current — just looking for more a little more bite to lower cruise rpms and extend range. May trade up in a couple years but don’t think so.

it’ll be interesting to see the differences in the rev 4 vs sws 17.

Got 130 hrs since 6/15 life is good.

Upvote 0