$3 Wahoo wired bait leader keeper idea

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by ThunderMudder, May 28, 2016.

1. ThunderMudder

ThunderMudder Member

Name:
    nal
    Boat:
    282 GW Sailfish F225's
    Firstly, this is NOT my idea, I am merely sharing my inexpensive attempt to copy. Last 15day trip aboard the XL, I saw the device owned by Pat Gallagher made for him by an engineer friend. Pat was kind enough to allow me and several other anglers multiple inspections/fondlings. This original was made of schedule 40 clear acrylic pipe, PVC caps, metal dowel, closed cell foam and fine mesh glued in place on one end to hold replaceable desiccant. While the clear acrylic Sch40 pipe is overkill for the job--it is also quite expensive and heavy. FYI, in my research, for those living near San Diego, ePlastics is local and online offering decent pricing on clear acrylic tubes of thinner gauge in 6' lengths--but no where near $3.

Difficult to get my hands on clear acrylic tubing which out forking out $10+/foot locally, so I racked my brain on the Internet and gave me the idea to use toy or candy product tubing. So, I set off for a rare visit to the local Walmart. Let me pause here for a moment and share a story. It is caterpillar season right now in my area and these nasty buggers have done some serious damage to many trees throughout the city and I have just very recently bought and personally planted 2 nice cherry trees in my back yard. I had zero intentions of allowing the crawly bugbastards a taste of my new innocent and supple green leafy girls. Not overly zealous to douse my frail new trees with harsh bug killing chemical, I again sought out the Internet on caterpillar solutions. I found that wrapping a band with tape around the trunk and then covering the tape with petroleum jelly (KY) will deter caterpillars from ascending, mounting and violating my trees. Sounded good to me--easy, inexpensive and environmentally friendly--but I kept forgetting for a couple days to stop and buy some KY. Please note, I have never in my life needed to buy KY--EVER.

Ok, let's continue. Off to Walmart to look for useable rigid tubing. I quickly find the candy section near the entrance and along with the chocolates I find -- various bubble making devices. AHA! Eureka! Relatively long, slender, coloured but transparent, plastic is rigid enough, already has a cap . . . And less than $3 each with your choice of 3 colors to boot. Nice! I was smiling both inside and out. Of the few different varieties, I chose the longest and fattest bubble maker. Having found a suitable donor device for my wahoo leader keeper, my mind was freed up enough to to remember my guilt of not attending to my tree needs sooner. As I started my walk towards the pharmacy section of Walmart my mind was sensing some serious fear--actually I think it had been sensing fear much earlier as I had chosen a green coloured bubble maker over other colors. The red was a touch risqué and the purple was definitely Hell No. As I grabbed some toothpaste and couple other small things while looking to find the KY. Having found a small jar of KY, I headed to the cashier. Hmmmmm, this could look very bad. Very bad. Nearing the check out. Why does this Walmart not have any self check-out lanes, grrrrrrr. Ok, time to man-up. Look for the shortest line--and possibly and more importantly the least judgemental looking cashier.

I get home, blow a lot of bubbles--shake my head of how this all went down and inspect how to proceed to jerry rig this device into a wahoo leader saver. Ok, plan devised. Next day at work I have some time off to begin using the bubble maker and various free crap laying around to make this wahoo leader keeper/saver.

I hacked off the handle to shorten up the profile and shed unnecessary material--and make the whole thing less phallyc IMO. Tear out the bubble wand, drill a hole to accept a large plastic drywall anchor as a dowel and hook rest, grind the plastic anchor to fit relatively flush with the tube, silicone caulk the end cap and dowel in place, use some closed cell foam and contact cement it into the inside of the cap (keeps hooks captive to the dowel when cap is closed).

Voila, $3 waterproof wahoo leader keeper/saver.

Please feel free to modify and use whatever you feel acceptable and however much $ you wish to spend. I think near Xmas time I may go looking to Walmart again to find a longer tube (small candies in long clear tubing usually with a red plastic hook as a lid).

FYI, this one is thin enough to drop into one of my SKB box rocket launcher tubes which make it uber accessible during a hot wahoo bite.

Cheers! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Tim Turis and Squid Sammich like this.
  2. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Very simple and ingenious Nallie thanks for sharing. I find it hard to believe your claims about the KY though.

FYI about the caterpillars raping your cherry trees: butterflies will swoop in on the newest, greenest, tenderest leaves your tree has and lay tiny little eggs most people don't even notice. They are somewhat orangish and round and the bastardbugs come from these so the KY pad as kinky as it sounds may not deter the prudish buggars. Good luck with your babies.

3. emptytank

emptytank Newbie

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    X
    Texas Matt-When we going hog hunting son?

Imagine, with a handle of Thunder Mudder being embrassed about buying KY, ah, emm, ah, nevermind

Squid Sammich likes this.
  4. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    Haha right. Story didn't add up for me either.

With the impending flood we have coming down river right now I imagine the hogs might all be treading water for a few weeks. It's going to be real bad around here toward the middle of the week. Expect to see Brazoria County, TX on the news. They are calling for this to be the worst flood we have had in almost 100 years.

5. pascuale

pascuale I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    LOLLOLLOL That made my day right there. Hilarious!

6. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Please clarify.
    This tube is to store premade single strand leaders with a hook on one end and the solid ring or swivel on the other?

How many leaders will it hold?

12" leaders?

Can you show a picture of how a leader is stored in this tube?

7. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Does it come in flesh tone?

Can you keep it keestered while at the rail in case you get "hoo'ed"?

How much KY should I bring on my next trip?

Texlee likes this.