Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Hi Guys,

I just came home from Puerto Vallarta fishing on 5 1/2 days on the No Tuna No Chinga with Danny and Roberto Osuna brothers. Reports will come over the next few days, but 6 Super Cows were caught on the trip with my really good friend Rick Ozaki (Owner of Graphtech, Raiders, and Avet reel rep) catching 3 of the Super Cows with the biggest being 365. Wow.

What an epic trip and I am so happy for Rick who has taught me so many things about long-range fishing over the years and who has been looking for his 300 for over 30 years. Let's just say he got the 300 monkeys off his back in EPIC style! 3 of the super cows you see in the picture are Ricks with the biggest being his. Also of note is that those small-looking fish on the deck are 270+ sitting there looking small. What an experience to see that.

The adventure started last year and the fishing was so so last year. So we decided we would do one more day and do a 5 1/2 dayer to have a buffer just in case the fishes were not in the mood.

We all arrived at PV on our flights. Some of us came alone and some arrived with someone else and we all went to stay at this all-inclusive resort called Occidental Nuevo Vallarta. I would highly highly recommend not staying there for the food. The food was probably worse than even the worse Vegas buffet. All-inclusive means food and drinks are included. The drinks were fine. The food was buffeted for breakfast and lunch and dinner was made to order.

On Monday morning we checked out late afternoon and then went to the marina to the No Tuna No Chinga docked. On the trip side, we had Rick Ozaki, Jerry, Jeff, Max, and me. We were supposed to have another angler, but he had some wedding or something very important to go to and missed the trip. The good thing was he paid up so we went 1 angler light. The crew was Danny Osuna, Roberto Osuna, Cali, Mimi Wow and Naurto. Some of these guys I can't remember their full name.

And of course, Carlos is their new cook. He worked at many restaurants and hotels in PV so he was really good at the food. Food was much better than last year and he did lots of great presentations. He also made some good sushi and that was my favorite. You have to remember that this is in Mexico and also the cook is cooking on a very small platform. I really enjoyed the food and Carlos was always ready to bring you seconds or drinks.

1636421935953.png

1636421959439.png

1636421990135.png

1636422037499.png

So the fishing part. We left the docks around 5 pm and headed up to the Tres Maria islands. On this trip we would not be stopping for squid as the fish has all wanted skippies (smaller than we would get on LR trips. But perfect size). We stopped off at Punta Mita to pick up the cabalittos from the bait guy. We loaded up and on we drove through the night to the north of the most north Tres Maria islands.

We woke up in the morning and we started to troll the Willaimson Exciter Bird Trolling Teasers with like 4 shrimp on a leader behind.

1636418098196.png

We would catch them one or two or more at a time and load up the tuna tubes. We would catch at least three and start the troll. The crew would bridle the skippies and we would start the trolling on 50 size reels with 250 leaders and big circle hooks and we would also troll for more skippies
to fill out the 6 tuna tubes the No Tuna No Chinga has.

1636418280028.png

1636420600059.png

Most of the morning was nothing other than more bait. But the bite as we were told by the crew was around 1 pm and onward. And as told around 1ish the Skippie were getting bit and we lost a few of the initial hits. It's hard when the reel is ripping to not put into gear and try to hook the fish. But finally one stuck and it as my rig in the center.

One comment I have to make is that since the Covid outbreak. Marla hasn't been able to send the reels to the Okuma factory for servicing. The Makaira 50 drag I had started to smoke. I mean like if you drove with your parking brakes on and went on the freeway. I really thought the reel was gonna blow up. But we poured water on the reel and we were able to keep the fish hooked.

Well here is my mea culpa moment. Usually, before these trips I usually do walking and also lifting weight. With this Covid stuff, I didn't and I paid the price physically and all the endless flake I took from the passengers (assholes) and the crew. :p My fault and paid for it for the entire trip.

So my fish starts to ripe offline off the reel and I kneeled with both legs and I put the rod on the rail to try to slow the fish down. And in addition to the reel that might have blown up. The Okuma OSP rod the reel was mated to was not up to this size of fish. By no means am I saying the rods are bad. I am just saying the line class it was meant for was way under the fish we were fighting. The fish takes a run and I made the mistake of trying to get up two fast and as you can expect. My thigh muscle was strained or ripped. Once I got up I had one heck of a time just walking. Sooooo. I handed off the rig to Cali one of the deckhands. I fought it as much as I could. But with the rail height, it's perfect for me to sit on the rod. When I tried to sit on the rod and the fish pulled hard. I would literally fly off my feet. Again my mea culpa moment.

Cali grew up in central CA so that is why his nickname is Cali. :-D. Cali and I fought the fish (mostly Cali) and he was able to get to the fish in about an hour and the fish taped out like 255#. We had also caught smaller fish on the fly line and my cow and the smaller sub 200 were cut up and vacuum packed and the freezer. Those fillets would be some of the ones we take home on the trip to the US.

On my report with the 6 super cows. I may and will skip any fish under then them. As you can imagine only those 6 stick out in my memory.

Jerry hasn't been doing big tuna fishing for as long as most of us on the trip. But Jerry is one of those people that once he is going to do something he will learn as much as possible about things and do them. He did phenomenal on this trip and got 2 super cows.

We start to troll and again during the late afternoon and Jerry's rod goes off and you let the tuna eat it for about 8 seconds and then set the drag. He's on and Danny pushes the throttle and makes sure the hook is set solid on the fish. The first time he came on the PV trip was like 3 years ago and he had never fought this kind of fish before. He got the rod and fought the fish for a little more than an hour and the fish taped out 337. Jerry being smart brought his own Avet reels and Graphtech rods. He fought the fish on an Avet SDS 3 speed and Graphtech rod and whipped that fish to the boat.

I was impressed and Jerry or any angler you would expect was happier than shit. The trash-talking from Jerry to Rick started. Ever seen the Odd Couple show? Rick is Felix and Jerry is Oscar.

Also my buddy Max Macias. He caught two high 200 fishes on bait in one day. He was kicking ass and killing the fish once hooked.

Also, I was on the troll and my buddy Jeff was being grumpy from not catching fish for a few days. I was on the troll and hooked a super cow and handed it off to Jeff. How many people can say they handed off a super cow? Fish taped out at like 315. I get partial credit for a super cow. LOL :D

The trip was great and can't wait to do it again...

IMG_3795.jpeg

Last edited:
Steve K
Steve K
Min, quite the cattle drive you were on. Max was telling me some of the details, who caught what, how many. Not gonna steal your thunder. Congratulations on what has to have been the trip of a lifetime!
Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
The Osuna brothers get it done! Congrats to Rick.

Reactions: harddrive
Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Interesting that they do not have the huge sickle fins - -not the stripes of spots - - almost look like bluefin.

Reactions: harddrive
    Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Interesting that they do not have the huge sickle fins - -not the stripes of spots - - almost look like bluefin.

There are different subspecies of yellowfin tuna. The ones with the long tuna sycles are the Allison subspecies. Very cool fish.

• Wow
    Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Best fishermen in the world
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Congrats to all involved. Paid dues paid off. Insaine, big bait fishing. Set the bar high

Also for the same tunafish stock. Caught off Mex.

The big cowfish with short sickles. Are still traveling and living in a big school or a tight school. Have shorter sickles from fishes, rubbing against eachother. Like the lower bank fish of 2005

When some of the big great cowfish. Decide to be home guards. Tend to have longer sickles. The fish landed have fairly long sickles. From what I'm looking at. Island fish home guards

The Hawaiian and Texas Allison tuna. Have the ultra long sickles. Maybe they don't school as tight do to bait feed

A
    Al B.Fishing
    maybe they’re just a true Allison, they can swim wherever they want
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Alex Koen

Cow Tuna Guy
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    AC
    Boat
    Offshoresealife
    Hi Guys,

I just came home from Puerto Vallarta fishing on 5 1/2 days on the No Tuna No Chinga with Danny and Roberto Osuna brothers. Reports will come over the next few days, but 6 Super Cows were caught on the trip with my really good friend Rick Ozaki (Owner of Graphtech, Raiders, and Avet reel rep) catching 3 of the Super Cows with the biggest being 365. Wow.

What an epic trip and I am so happy for Rick who has taught me so many things about long-range fishing over the years and who has been looking for his 300 for over 30 years. Let's just say he got the 300 monkeys off his back in EPIC style! 3 of the super cows you see in the picture are Ricks with the biggest being his. Also of note is that those small-looking fish on the deck are 270+ sitting there looking small. What an experience to see that.

The adventure started last year and the fishing was so so last year. So we decided we would do one more day and do a 5 1/2 dayer to have a buffer just in case the fishes were not in the mood.

We all arrived at PV on our flights. Some of us came alone and some arrived with someone else and we all went to stay at this all-inclusive resort called Occidental Nuevo Vallarta. I would highly highly recommend not staying there for the food. The food was probably worse than even the worse Vegas buffet. All-inclusive means food and drinks are included. The drinks were fine. The food was buffeted for breakfast and lunch and dinner was made to order.

On Monday morning we checked out late afternoon and then went to the marina to the No Tuna No Chinga docked. On the trip side, we had Rick Ozaki, Jerry, Jeff, Max, and me. We were supposed to have another angler, but he had some wedding or something very important to go to and missed the trip. The good thing was he paid up so we went 1 angler light. The crew was Danny Osuna, Roberto Osuna, Cali, Mimi Wow and Naurto. Some of these guys I can't remember their full name.

And of course, Carlos is their new cook. He worked at many restaurants and hotels in PV so he was really good at the food. Food was much better than last year and he did lots of great presentations. He also made some good sushi and that was my favorite. You have to remember that this is in Mexico and also the cook is cooking on a very small platform. I really enjoyed the food and Carlos was always ready to bring you seconds or drinks.

View attachment 1332618

View attachment 1332619

View attachment 1332620

View attachment 1332621

So the fishing part. We left the docks around 5 pm and headed up to the Tres Maria islands. On this trip we would not be stopping for squid as the fish has all wanted skippies (smaller than we would get on LR trips. But perfect size). We stopped off at Punta Mita to pick up the cabalittos from the bait guy. We loaded up and on we drove through the night to the north of the most north Tres Maria islands.

We woke up in the morning and we started to troll the Willaimson Exciter Bird Trolling Teasers with like 4 shrimp on a leader behind.

View attachment 1332600
    We would catch them one or two or more at a time and load up the tuna tubes. We would catch at least three and start the troll. The crew would bridle the skippies and we would start the trolling on 50 size reels with 250 leaders and big circle hooks and we would also troll for more skippies
    to fill out the 6 tuna tubes the No Tuna No Chinga has.

View attachment 1332601

View attachment 1332608

Most of the morning was nothing other than more bait. But the bite as we were told by the crew was around 1 pm and onward. And as told around 1ish the Skippie were getting bit and we lost a few of the initial hits. It's hard when the reel is ripping to not put into gear and try to hook the fish. But finally one stuck and it as my rig in the center.

One comment I have to make is that since the Covid outbreak. Marla hasn't been able to send the reels to the Okuma factory for servicing. The Makaira 50 drag I had started to smoke. I mean like if you drove with your parking brakes on and went on the freeway. I really thought the reel was gonna blow up. But we poured water on the reel and we were able to keep the fish hooked.

Well here is my mea culpa moment. Usually, before these trips I usually do walking and also lifting weight. With this Covid stuff, I didn't and I paid the price physically and all the endless flake I took from the passengers (assholes) and the crew. :p My fault and paid for it for the entire trip.

So my fish starts to ripe offline off the reel and I kneeled with both legs and I put the rod on the rail to try to slow the fish down. And in addition to the reel that might have blown up. The Okuma OSP rod the reel was mated to was not up to this size of fish. By no means am I saying the rods are bad. I am just saying the line class it was meant for was way under the fish we were fighting. The fish takes a run and I made the mistake of trying to get up two fast and as you can expect. My thigh muscle was strained or ripped. Once I got up I had one heck of a time just walking. Sooooo. I handed off the rig to Cali one of the deckhands. I fought it as much as I could. But with the rail height, it's perfect for me to sit on the rod. When I tried to sit on the rod and the fish pulled hard. I would literally fly off my feet. Again my mea culpa moment.

Cali grew up in central CA so that is why his nickname is Cali. :-D. Cali and I fought the fish (mostly Cali) and he was able to get to the fish in about an hour and the fish taped out like 255#. We had also caught smaller fish on the fly line and my cow and the smaller sub 200 were cut up and vacuum packed and the freezer. Those fillets would be some of the ones we take home on the trip to the US.

On my report with the 6 super cows. I may and will skip any fish under then them. As you can imagine only those 6 stick out in my memory.

Jerry hasn't been doing big tuna fishing for as long as most of us on the trip. But Jerry is one of those people that once he is going to do something he will learn as much as possible about things and do them. He did phenomenal on this trip and got 2 super cows.

We start to troll and again during the late afternoon and Jerry's rod goes off and you let the tuna eat it for about 8 seconds and then set the drag. He's on and Danny pushes the throttle and makes sure the hook is set solid on the fish. The first time he came on the PV trip was like 3 years ago and he had never fought this kind of fish before. He got the rod and fought the fish for a little more than an hour and the fish taped out 337. Jerry being smart brought his own Avet reels and Graphtech rods. He fought the fish on an Avet SDS 3 speed and Graphtech rod and whipped that fish to the boat.

I was impressed and Jerry or any angler you would expect was happier than shit. The trash-talking from Jerry to Rick started. Ever seen the Odd Couple show? Rick is Felix and Jerry is Oscar.

Story to follow.....View attachment 1332478
    Amazing report, Harddrive!

One thing I'd like to clarify... Okuma does NOT make the OSP rods, Seeker does. Those are Seeker Offshore Professional rail rods. I personally don't recommend them for that size fish. I always have a few UC rail rods onboard when going for the 300+ models. Glad you, Rick and the rest of the boys had a phenomenal trip!

Okuma finally sent the service parts for all Makaira reels for Marla, so that will no longer be an issue moving forward.

Cheers and tight lines!
    Alex

Reactions: moorefish
    Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat
    None
    Amazing report, Harddrive!

One thing I'd like to clarify... Okuma does NOT make the OSP rods, Seeker does. Those are Seeker Offshore Professional rail rods. I personally don't recommend them for that size fish. I always have a few UC rail rods onboard when going for the 300+ models. Glad you, Rick and the rest of the boys had a phenomenal trip!

Okuma finally sent the service parts for all Makaira reels for Marla, so that will no longer be an issue moving forward.

Cheers and tight lines!
    Alex

Thanks for the correction on the rods. Seeker OSP. :).

Reactions: Alex Koen
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    I wonder at what point a skipper decides there is too much extra passenger weight? or do they? Many large BF units has to make a difference at some point.

Future thread - Boat sinks - due to "fisherman greed". :rofl:

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Hmm, Seeker 3X5 is a helluva stick, really lifts the fish when you’re on the rail.

Upvote 0

Alex Koen

Cow Tuna Guy
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    AC
    Boat
    Offshoresealife
    I wonder at what point a skipper decides there is too much extra passenger weight? or do they? Many large BF units has to make a difference at some point.

Future thread - Boat sinks - due to "fisherman greed". :rofl:
    Which boat are you referring to?

The Osunas are not fond of packing the boats. it is ultimately the charter master’s decision. Their business model is elbow room for everyone onboard.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Alex Koen

Cow Tuna Guy
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    AC
    Boat
    Offshoresealife
    Hmm, Seeker 3X5 is a helluva stick, really lifts the fish when you’re on the rail.
    You’re correct. It doesn’t hold very well when you’re on the 300+ fish compared to other rods in my opinion/experience. SoCal BFT, no problems. PV supers, it gets the job done but it takes longer.

Steve K
    Steve K
    So, what’s your go to, for the Super Cow? My experience with the 3x5 gave me all I needed, but it was a smaller, sub 200# fish.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

oilfish

Jun 28, 2007
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Name
    John Lindsey
    Boat
    DOLORES
    Nice catch of BIG Tuna but Trolling is not my kind of Tuna fishing. Not mean to take away the accomplishment of catching all those large and extra large Tuna.

RickO
    RickO
    Three of the super cows were caught on flatline baits. Jerry Rincon caught his 305 on a flatline tube. I caught two of my supers on a flatline skipjack and one on troll skipjack. Jeff Vogl caught his 315 on troll skipjack
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Best fishermen in the world
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    One thing I do enjoy. About a slow trolled manbait

You let the fish eat the bait. Fishing from the spool and set up on the fish. To pin it

As opposed to trolling a lure.

Element of luck. Like all fishing

Upvote 0

Baja Bev

Women of the West Rule!
    Mar 8, 2016
    Los Gatos, CA
    www.bajabev.com
    Name
    Beverly Seltzer
    Boat
    crew
    Nice going guys! I was down there that week too... if you flew home on AK we might've even been on the same flight LOL! I was not fishing though, just kicking it at Vidanta with friends for the birthday week. Glad I got the cow off my back but I'm not looking for the super cow. Again, REALLY nice fish there!

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Latest posts