3 ft at 7 sec?

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
1,720
682
62
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
5-10Kts.
How bad is it? typically if it were 14 sec, it would be no probelm in a small boat.
What do you think? I need to get out.
 

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
467
326
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
Its doable but bumpy , your skippy should cut right through it if wind picks up could be nasty but the boat will handle way more. Just a matter of comfort imo. That's a go up north with less than 15 knots .
 
  • Like
Reactions: stangclassic66

Mickdick

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 9, 2014
252
148
40
Thousand Oaks
Name
Jason
Boat
Parker 2310
I feel like its too close together and if it gets any worse you could be in trouble...
 

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
1,880
852
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...
Synopsis: PZZ600-082315- 914 AM PST Fri Mar 8 2019 .Synopsis for the southern California coast and Santa Barbara Channel including the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and National Park...at 17Z...or 9 AM PST, a 1004 MB low pressure center was located over Utah. A 1022 MB surface high was located around 500 NM SW of Point Conception. $$

Today
W winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 5 to 6 ft dominant period 9 seconds.
Tonight
Western portion, W winds 25 to 30 kt becoming NW 20 to 25 kt after midnight. Elsewhere, W winds 20 to 25 kt becoming NW 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Combined seas 4 to 6 ft dominant period 7 seconds.
Sat
Western portion, W winds 20 to 25 kt becoming 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Elsewhere, NW winds 5 to 10 kt becoming SW in the afternoon. Combined seas 3 to 5 ft dominant period 7 seconds.
Sat Night
W winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming NW 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 2 to 3 ft at 7 seconds.

Depending on experience I would rethink going out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SouthBayKiller

simmo13

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 12, 2010
1,311
497
Pacific ocean
Name
Simmo
Boat
Looking
Its funny because tmrw is forecasted to be 6 knots south wind as per surfline. But its 400 mph NW right now. Seems odd
We shall see im itching to get out also tmrw. May just have to go and at worst stay inside the wall.
 

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
1,333
1,267
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
Plan on getting wet and then stopping by the dentist after to tighten up the fillings that get knocked out.
 

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
1,689
1,289
35
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Sunday looks fine. But weather is changing so fast lately, make sure you check again Saturday night.

Good enough Sunday to go out to SCI? Looks like ~3 ft at 14 sec, 8mph wind. Maybe some rain in the AM
I'd be careful of going off shore with water temperature in the high 50, is it necessary for what you're targeting?
 

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
13,311
3,292
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Stay Home...why get beat up...
 

Kman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 7, 2003
1,668
1,702
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Three foot, 7 seconds is doable if you aren’t going far and you don’t mind getting thrown around while underway. If your bassing, your rod holder will be a great fisherman.

Also, plan on dodging the tons of debris that will be in the harbor and inshore since we had substantial rain two days ago.

Sounds like a good weekend to rearrange the sock drawer.
 
Last edited:

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
1,689
1,289
35
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
On the positive side, they're predicting a major warm up next weekend, so there is light at the end of the tunnel...
 
Mar 5, 2017
42
3
30
Los Angeles
Name
Retsy
Boat
None
Sunday looks fine. But weather is changing so fast lately, make sure you check again Saturday night.



I'd be careful of going off shore with water temperature in the high 50, is it necessary for what you're targeting?
Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it. Will have to rethink this and def checking the weather every hour. Out of curiousity, what’s the reasoning behind going offshore with water temps in the high 50?
 

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
1,689
1,289
35
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Rescue time, in case shit does happen. Cold water shortens your survival window dramatically. High 50 water temperature gives you about 2 hours in the water before your body shuts down.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ultralightbeam

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
1,720
682
62
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
The plan is to take the Whaler out. Just fishing inshore with in 10 miles. The re[port has looked the same for a a few days except the time was not avilable.

Saturday
N wind 5 to 10 kt becoming SW in the morning. Mostly sunny. W swell 3 ft at 7 seconds. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Light WSW winds with a slight chop. Small very short period waves.

Winds: WSW 7 to 10 knots.

Seas: W 3 feet at 6 seconds.

Or plan B at the lake.
I would have to get up early and drive for over an hour!
No trout plant this week....

10:00 am
Sat
Cloudy 50° 48°
0%
73% SSW 6 mph

As for Sunday,
Sunday
Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers. Mixed swell...W 1 to 2 ft and S 1 ft. Wind waves 1 ft or less.

I just can't get a win here!

Sunday at the lake looks like the best bet, if you don't mind not catching fish!
8:00 am
Sun
Cloudy 41° 41°
15%
92% ESE 2 mph
 
Last edited:

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
1,056
914
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
It’ll be way sloppy and wet. I opted out on my trip this weekend. Not worth it to me for rockfish and bass.
I went out last weekend, if I remember right it was 3 in 6 with 5-7 knots winds and it was way uncomfortable in my 26 striper.