3 days that lasted forever

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bold #7, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Member

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    Yes I remember those years. I ran the New Salty Dog every day for owner Sid Moore out of Virg's. Some great fishing. We had 2 - 500 albacore days during those years. Those were fish 20 to 40 lbs. A buddy of mine, Howie Clark, was running the El Dorado. Kenny and Roger Hess were there with the Toronado and Dick Helgren with Electra. Jon Sato was running the Marauder out of Avila. The New Salty Dog was a great riding and fishing boat. Believe we were the first sport fishing boat with scanning sonor. We did have to deal with the weather at times. But, I can also remember some good weather days. Regardless, the albacore usually bit. And at times it was some unbelievable fishing. The very late season fish were big, sometimes 60 - 70 lbs. But, we seldom caught many of those. Good times, people and memories.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. dannykl1957

dannykl1957 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    What a thrill to get a response from Steve Francis. Holy Cow! I fished with you approx. 10 times back in the day and fished with Howie Clarke many times in San Diego. I can actually see you and Howie in my minds eye,the way you both looked back in the late 70's.
    I remember Jon Sato and the Marauder our of Avila too. We always preferred Virg's. Avila was not a protected harbor. Still, Jon ran a quality operation too and many of my friends would fish Avila thinking the boat load might be smaller.
    Fishing sure was good back then and Steve you were ,in my opinion,an excellent skipper who ran a very good operation. The New Salty Dog sure was a nice boat.
    Just wondering,Steve, did you have a policy for how bad the seas had to be before you would take the boat out? That one time we experienced 20 foot seas for a number of hours before it calmed a little in the afternoon and actually caught plenty of albacore was possibly the wildest trip I have ever been on. Some of the passengers thought we were going to die that day.I was a little scared at times but trusted you and your crew and the boat.
    Great hearing from you and be well,
    Dan

the SLIDER likes this.
  3. svue

svue I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Vue
    Boat:
    Everglade 290
    Well for us it's hell, for the east coast guy, it's just another day...

Northeastfshman likes this.
  4. FatBoy4130

FatBoy4130 Member

Name:
    B Wolfe
    Boat:
    FATBOY

"If it's not close to Glass I'm gonna Pass".

Best perk of boat ownership!!!

dustinbriq and the SLIDER like this.
  5. bajabills

bajabills Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Yeh just because you can, don't mean you should.
    For these types, I hear fishin in south Florida has little boat pressure right now. ... hey bobby.. there always outta Gloucester...said the coastie in . the perfect storm.

Btw there is where the fishermans memorial is.

6. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Member

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    Dan, we had a great group of regulars in those days, many who really knew how to fish. A Jigmaster 500 and a 20-30 lb Sabre or Tru Line rod were the usual tackle of the day. The NSD was a solid boat with great equipment. I was fortunate to have a good crew including my 2nd Capt, Mike Loving. The NSD was newer, larger and built right. I can recall only a few times we returned to the dock due to weather. Safety of our passengers was always primary. I'm very happy to say all the years fishing and at times in tough weather, no one was ever hurt on the NSD. We were all very competitive, while remaining conscious of our passenger's safety. A long period large swell can, at times, be "fishable". It was, and remains, a judgement call. Thank you for the memories and kind words. Keep catching them. - Steve

Reel hip and the SLIDER like this.
  7. dannykl1957

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    Steve, I still have all my Trulines bought in the early to mid 70's. Also,all the 500's,Squidders,3/0H,4/0H,and 6/0H's newellized with bearings,bars,real seats,etc before they changed from aluminum to graphite.
    I could cast an anchovy a great distance with my truline 4xr and newell converted 500. Used our D-8's matched with a master marinas(also newellized) or 4/0h's narrowed with newell kit and the high speed gears for throwing the iron.
    Mike,your 2nd, once had to pry my fingers off my truline 7x after I spent over 90 minutes on a 70 plus lb Bluefin. Got that fish on 30lb test.
    Thanks for all the great memories. Feeling so nostalgic and sentimental right now.
    Dan

8. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Member

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    • In those days a Penn 349 Master Mariner attached to a D8 was an awesome set up. I'll fess up. In those days we carried a "Sport Pole". It was actually a lift pole, but with guides wrapped on it, just for the aesthetics. It was strung with good 300# mono tied off at the butt. There was no reel. We wouldn't "squid" fish. But, we'd semi bait pole them and immediately lift their heads out of the water and wait for a nearby deckhand to gaff. Once had a new DH working frantically with his head down and not realizing it was me lifting the fish. He instructed me to keep his head in the water. I said just gaff the SOB. The poor kid was so sorry when he realized it was me. With passengers on board, we never lifted and bounced/threw albacore. It potentially too dangerous for our passengers. Seems I may remember Mike prying your fingers. Lol Good stuff.

9. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Can I double "like" these posts Monitors?

dannykl1957 and Reel hip like this.
  10. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER

11. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Translation:

"If it's not close to Glass I'm gonna Puss out".

Best perk of having money and time off!!!

If I'm out of line, sorry.

dannykl1957, wildbunch and Reel hip like this.
  12. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Dug the story
    Reminded me of my trip last year out of Westport for albacore on a private boat. I know how bad Morro bay channel is my brother lives in Santa Cruz and launch his pb there when the fever hit and the cure was swimming just 15 miles away

dannykl1957 likes this.
  13. jcs612

jcs612 On Deck

Name:
    JC
    Boat:
    My Mojo
    It's challenging and fun trying to land a 80+ BFT while the boat is rolling so far left and right that you think you're going to fly over the rail and into the sea.
    That's serious fishing and an adrenaline rush! Makes you feel alive.

Reel hip, dannykl1957 and Haly0 like this.
  14. mike82

mike82 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    a fish killing center console
    what do you mean by your wife said you could go fishing again?

SD Fish Guy and terryc. like this.
  15. solid72

solid72 "Fishhard"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Some day. I'll hustle to fish on yours.
    Sounds like Hurricane Bank sometimes, but nowhere to hide. Makes room at the rail. Hopefully you get the calm weather next time.

dannykl1957 likes this.
  16. dannykl1957

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    Talk about an eye opener.Imagine being hundreds of miles from the lee of an island and no plans to go anywhere. The jumbo yellowfin are biting and the seas are seriously rocking and rolling.

A buddy described such a trip to me during the insane tuna bite at hurricane bank that occurred about 10 years ago .A time when almost anyone on the boat would bring home a cow.Skilled big tuna guys were catching 5 plus cows,some in one day.

He was on The Shogun and nailed a limit of tuna between 150 and275lbs. Said he snapped off a couple of supercows that trip at gaff thanks to heavy seas. Insane year for big tuna and they fished,rolled,and barfed their way through that particular trip. The 200 plus lbers were eating the paint off the boat.

Dan

solid72 likes this.
  17. Bold #7

Bold #7 Member

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    parker
    I know hard much stress it must give the Captain he wants the passengers to catch fish, but ends to the means? When do you stop torturing your passengers and bite the bullet and consider going in early. You know the fish are not biting and the patrons are counting down the minutes until we head home, what's the thinking.
    Come down from the helm and see if your passengers are having good time or are miserable, is it too much to ask? I hate the manly men attitude.

18. Tugboat64

Tugboat64 Newbie

Name:
    Tugboat
    Boat:
    WellCraft
    I know the feeling, but all it takes is one good patty to make a trip. I was aboard the F/V Islander and two times we didn't get crap till 2 hours before we had to come in.

19. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    In this day of multi media chat boards all it takes is one disgruntled passenger to run home to his keyboard and bitch about going home early to fuck with your future business.

20. Bold #7

Bold #7 Member

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    parker
    Mullet
    It wasn't one passenger it was 20 in the galley the morning of the second day and you are one of the manly men I understand. However when you are out on a 3 day trip you have to deal with a lot of newbie , fairweather fisherman and older gentlemen who cannot stand at a rail and get pounded so they must suck it up for the manly few? Have some compassion.