Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
Bakersfield
Name
Esteban
Boat
24' Wellcraft air slot
evening folks,
So I'm going on my first trip in the Polaris, a 3 day trip. Looking for advice on gear/tackle to take.
The trip is in September, hoping we have another great bluefin season and I don't want to be caught off guard.
Thanks in advance

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
You will have a great time. Bring your medium and heavy gear, the only thing you can tell for sure is that on a three-day run on the RP you will NOT be in shallow water catching calico bass and bonito. If there are tuna of any size within a couple of hundred miles, that is what they will be going for. I did a similar trip couple of years ago, and although a decent offshore yellowtail bite was happening not far away, the boat concentrated on the much more elusive but bigger Bluefin. They would rather have quality than quantity (which is not a bad attitude, just know about it up front) and half of the boat never got a fish. I got one.

Reactions: maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
Bakersfield
Name
Esteban
Boat
24' Wellcraft air slot
You will have a great time. Bring your medium and heavy gear, the only thing you can tell for sure is that on a three-day run on the RP you will NOT be in shallow water catching calico bass and bonito. If there are tuna of any size within a couple of hundred miles, that is what they will be going for. I did a similar trip couple of years ago, and although a decent offshore yellowtail bite was happening not far away, the boat concentrated on the much more elusive but bigger Bluefin. They would rather have quality than quantity (which is not a bad attitude, just know about it up front) and half of the boat never got a fish. I got one.
Thank you.
At this point, I prefer quality over quantity. That's really what I'm hoping for.

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I have done a lot of 2-4 day trips in that time frame. From all of my gear, I would narrow it down to the following(with matching rods):

Avet SX- 20-25lb bait, and for anchovies
Avet MXL- 25-30lb bait
Penn Torque 25N Star Drag- 30lb bait, 40lb jig
Avet JX 2 Speed- 40lb Bait and Surface Iron
Avet LX Raptor- 50 and 60lb bait and yoyo
Avet EX30- 80lb trolling, and as a 80lb outfit for the 100-200lb bluefin that are maybe around.

Add another 30-40lb 2 speed setup if you can, like an MXL raptor or a Penn 25NLD2 something like that.

-Aren

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
It is very easy to over-think a simple 3-day trip. Especially one that is 6 months out.

Local islands to 30# schoolie tunas. Rare is the occasion that a 3-day trip will see anything more than that. Last year was "rare"

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
Bakersfield
Name
Esteban
Boat
24' Wellcraft air slot
It is very easy to over-think a simple 3-day trip. Especially one that is 6 months out.

Local islands to 30# schoolie tunas. Rare is the occasion that a 3-day trip will see anything more than that. Last year was "rare"[/
Better safe than sorry is the approach I'm taking

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
Also, be sure to wear pants with a bit of room to expand. The food is really amazing. I was asking for half-portions and I still gained a couple of pounds. (Although that may have been because I was eating out of frustration. *@#&% Bluefin! They would roll on the surface at the stern corner and look at you with that big eye and flip a fin at you -- I knew very well what they were saying!)

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
Bakersfield
Name
Esteban
Boat
24' Wellcraft air slot
Also, be sure to wear pants with a bit of room to expand. The food is really amazing. I was asking for half-portions and I still gained a couple of pounds. (Although that may have been because I was eating out of frustration. *@#&% Bluefin! They would roll on the surface at the stern corner and look at you with that big eye and flip a fin at you -- I knew very well what they were saying!)
I'm so dam excited about this trip. Been wanting to go on the RP for years.
Thanks man. I appreciate your advice

fighingrjo

paid my taxes
Nov 29, 2005
sandy eggo
Name
ryan
Boat
keep an eye on the counts. i think that last year, the big bluefin were still around. if that is the case, bring a 60-80 lb setup. otherwise, 40 lb will be the most you would most likely need. maybe a surface jig setup, dropper loop (80 lb), yoyo jig, but otherwise, 30 lb bait is most likely the setup you will use.

jpmhunter

Captain
Apr 28, 2011
SoCal
Name
JP
Boat
Some Day
What's a 3 day on the R.P. cost ?
Speaking only short trips (3 days or less) on long range boats, it is too much! It's around $1,300 for a three day. Plus $100 or so for excursion permits. They keep raising the prices about $100 or so every year. Around three years ago there was a big jump in prices and they justified if by advertising it was "all inclusive" where they weren't going to charge an additional fuel surcharge the morning of the trip...This is when gas had dropped significantly from historic highs...Sure your going to have a more comfortable trip, but there are other boats out there that are perfectly adequate for 3 days or less, and won't cost you an arm and a leg!

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Speaking only short trips (3 days or less) on long range boats, it is too much! It's around $1,300 for a three day. Plus $100 or so for excursion permits. They keep raising the prices about $100 or so every year. Around three years ago there was a big jump in prices and they justified if by advertising it was "all inclusive" where they weren't going to charge an additional fuel surcharge the morning of the trip...This is when gas had dropped significantly from historic highs...Sure your going to have a more comfortable trip, but there are other boats out there that are perfectly adequate for 3 days or less, and won't cost you an arm and a leg!
Which boats would that be??? How much???

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
apples and oranges comparisons are internet masturbation fodder

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
I wouldn't have said it exactly the way wils did, but he is right. There are a handful of very large, very plush, really excellent sportfishing boats running out of San Diego, and the experience is deliberately different from just going fishing. Think about the difference in getting across the country in an airplane from the front seats or the rear seats. You'll pay a large premium to sit up front, but it is a completely different travel experience although in the end you are still getting to the same destination at the same time.

Every serious blue water fisherman owes it to himself to try one of the special boats at least once. Even a short run of three or four days can be very worthwhile. In my opinion they give back to you the extra twenty to thirty percent more that the ticket costs, and if you can afford it then you should make the investment at least once. You will NOT likely catch more fish, at least it hasn't worked out that way for me, but you will have some very memorable fights with critters that you would not otherwise have a chance at, and have other experiences that cannot be found any other way.

Having said that, kev, you will find the multi-day runs on the Condor or Islander from Fisherman's Landing to be excellent values. Think "Business Class" right behind the front rows. I ride them as often as possible, and always end the trip with a big smile.

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
Bakersfield
Name
Esteban
Boat
24' Wellcraft air slot
Which boats would that be??? How much???
The shogun is allot less expensive for the same trip.
That's something else I'm looking at in between.
As Gary said, this is something I've been wanting to do for such a long time and I just want the experience.
Next year will be PV if I can get on a charter, and maybe a longer trip on either the RP or the shogun.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
The shogun is allot less expensive for the same trip.
That's something else I'm looking at in between.
As Gary said, this is something I've been wanting to do for such a long time and I just want the experience.
Next year will be PV if I can get on a charter, and maybe a longer trip on either the RP or the shogun.
The Shogun is a Very god alternative

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I wouldn't have said it exactly the way wils did, but he is right. There are a handful of very large, very plush, really excellent sportfishing boats running out of San Diego, and the experience is deliberately different from just going fishing. Think about the difference in getting across the country in an airplane from the front seats or the rear seats. You'll pay a large premium to sit up front, but it is a completely different travel experience although in the end you are still getting to the same destination at the same time.

Every serious blue water fisherman owes it to himself to try one of the special boats at least once. Even a short run of three or four days can be very worthwhile. In my opinion they give back to you the extra twenty to thirty percent more that the ticket costs, and if you can afford it then you should make the investment at least once. You will NOT likely catch more fish, at least it hasn't worked out that way for me, but you will have some very memorable fights with critters that you would not otherwise have a chance at, and have other experiences that cannot be found any other way.

Having said that, kev, you will find the multi-day runs on the Condor or Islander from Fisherman's Landing to be excellent values. Think "Business Class" right behind the front rows. I ride them as often as possible, and always end the trip with a big smile.
I've been on the islander a while ago, with the same owners, And I agree with you on this boat.The boat is well maintained and very clean. Their food and service is very comparable to the Long range fleet at a fraction of the cost.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
The Vagabond is a smaller boat, but is top notch for 3-5 day trips and has 3 day prices in tha time frame ranging from $915-1,250, depending upon load, etc.

Latest posts