3 day on the Shogun

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Olddog8, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Just got back from a 3-day on the Shogun, I was hesitant after the "6-day from hell" in early May but, I was pleasantly surprised. Captain Russ stopped me in the parking lot before the trip, he was taking some needed time off, Rene was Captain, Russ said I would notice a difference and I did.
    All the crew were very helpful, engaging, and energetic; almost the same crew as the 6-day but it was like night and day from before. Brian in the galley was an awesome addition, Kenny, a very experienced deck hand along with being a great Chef, was able to spend some time on deck mentoring the crew.
    The boat was put back together, a nice new coffee maker and dry floors. Brian kept the galley salon area clean. Only problem I had was a new galley floor drain that started leaking into my stateroom. Luckily it leaked onto the sink area, most went down the stateroom drain. I told three crewmen before someone did something, my only real crew criticism. I ended up cleaning up the sink area. Stuff breaks on boats; when I had my boat, something broke almost every trip.
    We loaded up with only 15 passengers, everything in 3 carts with some room to spare. I easily found a spot for the small wooden tacklebox my dad built for me. Not as pretty as when he built it 28 years ago but it's even more special to me now that he's gone. Tied on a new JRI small intruder and a couple of hooks and I was ready to roll.

20170716_095324.jpg 20170716_112411.jpg 20170719_090058.jpg 20170716_102414.jpg 20170716_102421.jpg 20170718_072252.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    About 6:30PM, Rene (Jed in the crows nest) found a nice size paddy that was full of good grade yellowtail and Dorado. It turned into a full speed mess. Virtually everyone was caught up in a couple tangles. The learning curve was steep, very steep. 7 yellowtail and one Dorado made it on deck about 20-25% hook to land ratio for the 15 anglers. I managed a nice one, Neal got another good one, and I think Mike got a good one and the only Dorado to get tagged. I lost a Bull Dorado at gaff as a couple loose lines slid down to the hook and pulled it free.
    We kept looking after that and Rene marked a spot of tuna. He called for a chum line and then to bring in the trollers. I can't recall a time when a boat was in a turn, a chum line was being thrown and no anglers on deck, I had to take a photo. As I reeled in the small intruder I was trolling, a small Bluefin came up and inhaled it near the boat; silver gill plates flaired out and a mouth like a bucket attacked it. Only problem was it didn't stick, not even a little. It needs bigger hooks, not sure how big I can go without affecting the action. We drifted in the area for the night and started looking at first light the second day.

20170716_183907.jpg 20170717_062659.jpg

3. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    The crew put us on a nice paddy in the morning that was as full as any kelp I have ever seen. Hundreds of Yellowtail and Dorado. The first waive was mostly the decent size fish. Anglers had learned from the night before and the hook to land ratio greatly improved. The small ones quickly moved next to the boat, they were hard to get through but there were plenty of decent fish still around. If you could cast past the rats you stood a better chance of hooking a decent size fish. I tried the surface iron but after shaking off 3 rats I quit, then I tried the Flatfall, took 5 tries to get through the little ones but nothing down deep, back to casting bait out. I tagged 3 nice yellowtail and two dorado, shook off a bunch, gave a few bleeders away, and tagged a couple smallish ones that were bleeding.
    We hit a bunch more kelps for more decent size yellowtail and dorado. About a third of the yellows for the day were 12 to 24lb; the processor tally sheet showed I had a 24lb, a 22lb, 4 - 16 pounders, and a couple 12's, plus 4 dorado to 16lbs. Lots of fun on lighter tackle and the freezer is empty. The crew worked insainly hard all day to find us kelps and assist anglers.

20170717_172951.jpg

4. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Nice!

Thanks for the report. Heading out on a 3.5 day on the Islander in 10 days. Can't wait!

Olddog8 likes this.
  5. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Good job, Rick! Third time is a charm, eh? Congrats on a fun trip. It is wonderful to see. You definitely earned it!!

- Jeff Burroughs

Olddog8 likes this.
  6. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Great Job Rick !
    Glad you had a better trip , Thanks for the write up and pictures

Olddog8 likes this.
  7. Gearhead 59

Gearhead 59 Member

Name:
    Fleetwood
    Boat:
    HALF INN !
    What is your stateroom in the 45678 area towards the back of the boat, I know that showered didn't get hot and I had to fix the shower handle from falling off all the time. Just curious, if they got that hot water problem solved. How about the wifi did it work or was it still not working, wanted to send info out but couldn't. Nice job producing some really good looking fish congrats.

Olddog8 likes this.
  8. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    The third day we woke up to glass conditions up in the Bluefin area. Beautiful to look at but crappy to fly a kite in. The crew set up the kite to skip the yummy flyer while Captain Rene drove over several schools of Bluefin but without wind the yummy wasn't all that. I trolled an assortment of things in my own personal "hail Mary", can't catch if you don't try.
    Rene and crew searched out some of the smaller tuna in an effort to get something going but Bluefin are a pain in the butt. By noon I was down to 20lb premier floro and a #4 hook, still the tuna laughed. They found one school of yellowfin and Jim managed to pull a 31lb tuna out of it. More of the same followed until Rene heard on the radio that the big ones where back up and a few were bitting the yummy.
    Once in the area, the crew set up the kite and Rene drove the yummy over some meter marks. 19 minutes and 50 seconds into Joshua's 20 minute kite rotation we all watched the water explode and a big Bluefin come out of the water and land gaping mouth first on the yummy. A four man crew took turns fighting the fish. It was funny hearing the crew yell "turn the handle" and hear the angler say "I'm trying" - been there done that. They all landed a 125lb Bluefin. Kudos to the crew!

20170718_060603.jpg 20170718_191059.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    jerryl and fishordie like this.
  9. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    WIFI worked if you were on the upper deck but it was painfully slow... painfully, 30 minute wait to send one email home about docking time.
    Shower handle wobbled but stayed on. Luke warm was about it on the water, I was hot so that was ok but should get hot.

10. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    Sounds like a blast.

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid
    Good Trip! Nice finish to your trilogy!!!! Congrats.

Olddog8 likes this.
  12. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Congrats on a successful trip. I appreciate the great report, sounds like a fair assessment with good intel. I am getting ready for a 5 day and this all helps.

I was on a 3 day trip on the RR3 once upon a time and the same thing happened. I was the only man on deck when Derek screamed "let em have it" to the man on the bait tank, he brailed on a school of 30-60lb BFT that exploded all over the stern, and no one came out for a good 2 minutes even with Derek screaming on the intercom. I swear I hooked up before my bait hit the water, was dragged up to the bow and came back down to the stern 5 minutes later working my fish to see a 20 person tangle of people hooked up. It was literally TOO wide open and the anglers were inexperienced. I hooked 7 tuna in the 40-60lb range on that stop and lost four to tangles, it was FUBAR all over...
    The trip had 15 maybe 18 rental rods on it. Ive never seen a mess that big since lol.

Olddog8 likes this.
  13. Gearhead 59

Gearhead 59 Member

Name:
    Fleetwood
    Boat:
    HALF INN !
    What locations did you fish on your 3-day on the Shogun.

14. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I believe we were within 60 miles of San Diego the whole time. You fish where the fish are...

Seems like the better yellowtail are moving up the line and the Dorado. Fish were all full of little red crab and/or anchovy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  15. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    Thanks for the write up. It's nice to get on fish the first evening and then wake up to them too.

Olddog8 likes this.
  16. HoleSnipe

HoleSnipe WhoDat

Name:
    Marco
    Boat:
    None
    I cant belive Frank knows on the maint. issues. Normally he takes these things to heart and has them fixed ,shower, hot water etc. Still a good yrip it sounds like. Thanks for report

17. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Sweet redemtion Rick. Did you try the big intruder too?

Olddog8 likes this.
  18. picasso

picasso Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    17 Boston Whaler
    Nice job Dog.

Olddog8 likes this.
  19. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Thanks Jeff, after 2 trips with broken boats I figured I was either due or the boat would sink. Not the 40lb yellowtail I hoped for on our Guadalupe trip but decent. Used 30lb and 25lb most of the day, it's always fun when fish can make good runs and put a good bend in the rod. Only lost one to the weeds. With drag full forward it wouldn't slow down, could of used 40 but where's the thrill in that?

20. Olddog8

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I didn't think to bring a large Intruder on a 3 day but I wish I had, anything was worth a try for those big Bluefin. Should of brought the 50 wide too to drop it wayyyy back. May not of mattered but, like I said, can't catch if you don't try.
    Thanks for sticking that split ring in the small Intruder last month, it trolled well up to 8kts but popped out above that. Needs bigger hooks though...