Riccochet

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
I'm usually on a July 8 day but had to delay this year due to the Covid effect on my business. I'm on an 8 Day in October but was able to get away for a 3 day August 4th-7th on the RP. Below is a list of gear I have and was looking for suggestions on how to rig this gear. Any insight on Flouro, hook size, which set up to use for flyline, sinker rig , Iron,etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Makaira 10SEA with Phenix Bl Diamond Hybrid 760XH (30#-80#) 65# Braid

Makaira 15SEA with Calstar GFGR800H (30#-80#) 65# Braid

Makaira 16SEA with 7'2" Phenix axis 3x (60#-130#) 80# Braid

Makaira 20SEA with 7'2" Phenix axis 4x (80#-200#) 100# Braid/150# leader

AVET HXJ raptor with Calstar GFGR875H (30#-80#) 300 yds/ 80# Braid

Richard

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Of course it is ever changing, but just came off a 4 day last week.

25 and 30 flyline for school size YFT
40 2 spd for flyline or 1 1/2 oz slider rig
60 for flyline, or slider
80 for torpedo rig
100 for flat fall (though this was NOT productive at all)

Caught most my fish on 60 and 80

The boat will have kite rigs

Wahoover

Jan 5, 2005
Laguna Niguel
Name
jack snipe
Boat
Long Range
Mak10 -- 40lb. flyline
Mak15 -- 40 or 50 flyline, could use as sinker rig if smaller fish around (<80)
Mak16 -- 60 flyline or sinker
Mak20 -- 80 or 100 sinker or flatfall/jig
Avet -- another 50 or 60 lb. maybe a day jig drop rig.

Reactions: Riccochet

SilentViper

Fishing fiend
Aug 21, 2012
Buena Park
Name
Jimmy McGinness
Boat
1980 Skipjack 24 open
I just got off the RP 3 day this morning, bluefincurly is pretty spot on. We had 3 grades of fish in general ~25s, ~40s, ~80s.

here's what I'd do with your rigs if I was going right back out
* 25lb flyline rig for the smaller yellowfin/bluefin mix, use this on first drop & on the slide
* 30lb flyline this for schools that hang around
* 40lb sinker rig, 4,6 oz sinkers
* 60lb sinker rig 6 & 8 oz sinkers
* 80lb flat fall rig big flat falls. you have to mark your line or have power pro depth hunter line so you know when you're down in the zone, and can start twitching your jig as it falls, if you make it down and past the zone wind in and do it again. dont bother leaving it down there. all fish were caught on the drop. there's monsters around. I busted off 2 consecutive drops & fish doing this on 60lb. upped to 80, handed the rod to a buddy, then he caught a 118lber (gilled & dressed). Can do this techinique with megabaits on 40. Roy was on fire with those on wednesday.

FISHNFRANK

Dec 24, 2004
Fullerton, CA
Name
Frank
Boat
Cabin
I did a 3 day last year and A 3 day this year and caught mostly fish in the 70-80 range. 90% of them were on a Penn 12 VSX 50 lb sinker rig. 60 would have been just fine too. I honestly could have left all the other rods and reels home. Now that said, I’d definitely have an 80 lb set up. I’m not a fan of throwing 25 or even 30 lb when bluefin are in the mix because big ones happen. I’d use 40 flouro for fly line. Regarding line shy fish, the weren’t really “line shy“ but “boat shy”...typically a school would bite or it wouldn’t. There wasn’t much in between

Reactions: Riccochet

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
I just got off the RP 3 day this morning, bluefincurly is pretty spot on. We had 3 grades of fish in general ~25s, ~40s, ~80s.

here's what I'd do with your rigs if I was going right back out
* 25lb flyline rig for the smaller yellowfin/bluefin mix, use this on first drop & on the slide
* 30lb flyline this for schools that hang around
* 40lb sinker rig, 4,6 oz sinkers
* 60lb sinker rig 6 & 8 oz sinkers
* 80lb flat fall rig big flat falls. you have to mark your line or have power pro depth hunter line so you know when you're down in the zone, and can start twitching your jig as it falls, if you make it down and past the zone wind in and do it again. dont bother leaving it down there. all fish were caught on the drop. there's monsters around. I busted off 2 consecutive drops & fish doing this on 60lb. upped to 80, handed the rod to a buddy, then he caught a 118lber (gilled & dressed). Can do this techinique with megabaits on 40. Roy was on fire with those on wednesday.
I was thinking of crimping snap swivels on my 60# and 80 # reels to be able to quickly change out some premade flat fall and sinker rigs in various flouro strengths. Will the snap swivel with say 4'-5' of flouro to the flat fall keep me from getting bit?

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Riccochet - No, the rig you described is fine. I usually use my trolling outfit (HX5/2 with 80# braid on proper rod) as the base outfit, meter length of 80# fluoro to the braid, crimped quality snap/swivel on the end. Then my various trolling rigs are each on their own meter of fluoro, ending in a quality Owner solid ring. And my flat-falls and other deep lures are on a meter of 80# fluoro in the same fashion.

I've watched lures drop repeatedly under various connections in a deep clear pool, and while a swivel will definitely affect the action if connected right to the lure, if it is at least a meter away there is no issue. And flat-fall lures fall with a side-to-side rapid flutter, not with the fairly wide swings of the knife and other thin heavy lures.

Reactions: Peg North

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
U have killer set ups. Do u have anything to throw iron, popper, stick baits? Let us know how u do. I’m excited and I’m not on your trip! Planned to hit Aztec on a 2 day but wifey just went under the knife. Good luck!

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
U have killer set ups. Do u have anything to throw iron, popper, stick baits? Let us know how u do. I’m excited and I’m not on your trip! Planned to hit Aztec on a 2 day but wifey just went under the knife. Good luck!
Was thinking of using my HXJ Raptor for tossing colt snipers on a Calstar GFGR875H . I always overthink things but have been successful staying flexible and adapting to what's going on. Being flexible with the ability to change up quickly during a bite can make or break a trip. I'll post how I make out but most important, best of luck to you and your wife.

Richard

Reactions: SD2600

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Of course it is ever changing, but just came off a 4 day last week.

25 and 30 flyline for school size YFT
40 2 spd for flyline or 1 1/2 oz slider rig
60 for flyline, or slider
80 for torpedo rig
100 for flat fall (though this was NOT productive at all)

Caught most my fish on 60 and 80

The boat will have kite rigs
I agree to all the above.
Might also consider having a 40-50# yo-yo outfit. Chrome jigs have been working. Drop down to the 'zone' (20-40 fathoms), and either yo-yo or speed jig back to the boat. You can only do that a couple of times, as the speed of the drift will put too much scope in your line and you won't be able to reach the 'zone'.

js_lind

Aug 28, 2006
Villa Park
Name
John
Boat
-
Just got back this morning from a 3 day. Brought 20-100. Got one on a Mak 8 with 50lb spectra and a short 30lb top shot of pink youzri and 5 on a Saltiga 20LD 50lb spectra and and 12 yards of 25 lb Seaguar Premier. Handed a a couple more off on the 25. All these fish were 28-38lb. Zero flat fall or sniper fish on this trip. All bait fish.

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
Azusa, CA
Name
Chris Lomax
Boat
none
Fished Royal Star 7 day July 25 - August 1. Used 30 and 40 lb. gear for coastal fish from just over the border up to the 43. Spent 3 days outside San Clemente where we got all of our larger fish, up to #240. Used #50 - 100 pound gear on the bigger fish. Most of the fish Over #100 came on the kite, with a few on “Flat-falls” and “Snipers”. Saw schools all over, but not all would bite. The volume of tuna is tremendous!

Reactions: Peg North and Phil