3 day compared to 5 day

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by fly liner, Mar 19, 2019.

1. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    So on the 2.75 or 3-day trips it says two full days of fishing from sunup to sundown.. How much more fishing time do you get on a 5-day in comparison to a 3-day

2. bajapaddyhopper

bajapaddyhopper Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sherm
    Boat:
    INDEPENDENCE
    Depends on destination and travel time. If the fish are close, then more fishing time. If the fish are far and you're on a 3 day, you might only have 1 day of fishing.

bob1825 and tommysdad like this.
  3. Parker Brothers

Parker Brothers Newbie

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    23' Parker
    5 day gives you the option to fish Lupe. I did a 5 day last July, 1 day offshore on the way to the island, 2 full days on anchor at the island, and 1/2 day offshore on the way back to Ensenada.

FishAcquisition and tommysdad like this.
  4. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    Definitely depends on the time of year. I did an early season 5day a couple years back and we went to the Ridge...so we only had 1 day of fishing. I'd recommend that you do the longer trip if you have the time/money. It's very likely that the boat/bunks/food will be in a whole other league.

MikeyLikesIt likes this.
  5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Which boat? 5 days are a weird length without Cedros/Benitos option IMHO. Technically you can fish some Baja coastal spots or our local islands and offshore. Also with bluefin in the mix and real night bites a thing, the concept of “fishing time” is a little weird as it is potentially a 24 hour window during certain times, hence the creation of the 2.75 day trip to take advantage of the first night of fishing rather than traveling during that time like a normal trip would be. Id look at a 5 day as 100% more time on the boat than a 2.75 day, but potentially a lot more travel time than fishing time if they do the things mentioned in the posts above. Most longer trips leave around noon day of departure and get back early the last day. So a 5 day is about one 1/2 day of either fishing or driving, 4 days sun up to sun down of possible fishing time and a 6am arrival on the 5th day. I’ve caught fish on the first day of those trips, but more often than not it’s bait up and start heading somewhere far with day 2 being the first “real” day of fishing.

Cubeye and FishAcquisition like this.
  6. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    If they’re going to SCI and Cortes, you’ll get quite a bit of extra time. If the fish are down south, you may get opportunities that you’ll never see on a 3 day.

Personally, 3.5 to 5 is my sweet spot. Enough time to look around, enough time to put some fish on the deck (even with an off day), and enough time to enjoy the company.

7. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I agree about not fishing able to fish Cedros or Benitos. The 5 day trip is not the same as it used to be. They should make them all 7 day instead of 5 day, Then you have a lot of options.

MikeyLikesIt likes this.
  8. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    On a 5 day you'll typically get 3-4 days of fishing, on a 3 day you will get 2 days at best.

MikeyLikesIt likes this.