anemic

circling the drain
Mar 6, 2004
Long Beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
nope
"Captain Aliyar of the Polaris Supreme called in with 5 Bluefin Tuna on the boat this morning! The fish are in the 30-45lb range. There is an excellent sign of fish in the area so stay tuned for more updates!"

Hopefully the south swell will push these fish up?

1617468876635.png

1617468902345.png

@ 11 am " . . . 10 bluefin on the boat, and two fish hanging! The fish are in the 30-50 pound range, and the conditions are looking good for more fish!

They are having success with 30-40 pound flouro and a small hook, and smaller Flat-falls.

The Polaris Supreme's next trip is departing Monday night, and we also have the Tribute going out Tuesday night."

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Yeah just spotted them heading towards Ensenada @9kts. On Marine Tracker
Looks like the area off Colonet holding more Bluefin these days. News at 11. LOL

Reactions: anemic

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Just got home, resting up while I wait for my call from 5 Star 8-) I believe the final count was 24, mostly in the 38-45# range but one hit 94+on the scale. Nice fish. Cap't and crew rocked, boat is awesome, I will definitely fish it again. It was a tad nautical out there, downright sporty. First two priorities were staying IN the boat and NOT dropping my rig, landing fish was a distant third. Didn't know BFT ate colt snipers, that was a first for me. I got mine on FF's but the colts were doing a great job, some took bait but I think most were caught on jigs of some stripe.

d105

Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2011
SoCal
Name
d105
Boat
Fish Cat 4
Are the coltsnipers being retrieved like a surface iron, or yo-yo style straight drop?
Caught several last year w/ the Colt Sniper. Long cast, let sink really deep, about 25-30 cranks, let sink again. Medium speed retrieve worked for me and most fish were hooked pretty deep in the water column.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Just got home, resting up while I wait for my call from 5 Star 8-) I believe the final count was 24, mostly in the 38-45# range but one hit 94+on the scale. Nice fish. Cap't and crew rocked, boat is awesome, I will definitely fish it again. It was a tad nautical out there, downright sporty. First two priorities were staying IN the boat and NOT dropping my rig, landing fish was a distant third. Didn't know BFT ate colt snipers, that was a first for me. I got mine on FF's but the colts were doing a great job, some took bait but I think most were caught on jigs of some stripe.
Nice job David! How may anglers were on that trip?

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Nice job David! How may anglers were on that trip?
Yup, 24. It did not feel crowded at all. Plenty of rail, huge salon/ galley, heads laid out nicely. Only issue was a couple of guys who brought chairs and seemed to think it was okay to place them right in front of the tackle stations and inconvenience everyone else :rolleyes:. Some people just don't raise their kids very well :(

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Their back out as of last night so tomorrow we will see if they can get them again .....

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
    Jul 22, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    n/a
    Yup, 24. It did not feel crowded at all. Plenty of rail, huge salon/ galley, heads laid out nicely. Only issue was a couple of guys who brought chairs and seemed to think it was okay to place them right in front of the tackle stations and inconvenience everyone else :rolleyes:. Some people just don't raise their kids very well :(

Things are looking good so far.

I've noticed more guys bringing chairs and crowding the deck.
    Last time I went out I just stepped on the chair, with them in it and grabbed my
    hooks.

Upvote 0

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    The boat is on them again today

Yup 7 bluefin upto 150 pounds. Lots and lots of casualties. If you are planning to fish this stuff boys and gals. Please bring the appropriate gear. You’re gonna piss off the entire boat waiting for you to bring the damn thing up on 20 pound. Some captains will just cut you off

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Yup 7 bluefin upto 150 pounds. Lots and lots of casualties. If you are planning to fish this stuff boys and gals. Please bring the appropriate gear. You’re gonna piss off the entire boat waiting for you to bring the damn thing up on 20 pound. Some captains will just cut you off
    How did you hear that? I see a lot of open spots for Friday fish Sat 1.5 out of SD. But I was looking at the wind forecast for the rest of the week and it looks bad 20 -30 knots maybe not down toward MX as much but looks like those trips are going to cancel? Anybody else see that ?
    THU
    NW winds 10 to 20 kt, becoming 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon.
    Combined seas 6 to 8 ft dominant period 8 seconds. Patchy fog in the
    morning.

THU NIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the
    evening, becoming 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Combined seas
    7 to 9 ft dominant period 8 seconds.

FRI
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon.
    Combined seas 6 to 8 ft dominant period 8 seconds.

FRI NIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 35 kt. Combined seas
    8 to 9 ft dominant period 8 seconds.

SAT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 8 to
    10 ft. Patchy fog.

SUN
    NW winds 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Wind waves 2 to
    4 ft. NW swell 6 to 8 ft. Patchy fog.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    How did you hear that? I see a lot of open spots for Friday fish Sat 1.5 out of SD. But I was looking at the wind forecast for the rest of the week and it looks bad 20 -30 knots maybe not down toward MX as much but looks like those trips are going to cancel? Anybody else see that ?
    THU
    NW winds 10 to 20 kt, becoming 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon.
    Combined seas 6 to 8 ft dominant period 8 seconds. Patchy fog in the
    morning.

THU NIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the
    evening, becoming 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Combined seas
    7 to 9 ft dominant period 8 seconds.

FRI
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt in the afternoon.
    Combined seas 6 to 8 ft dominant period 8 seconds.

FRI NIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 35 kt. Combined seas
    8 to 9 ft dominant period 8 seconds.

SAT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 8 to
    10 ft. Patchy fog.

SUN
    NW winds 10 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Wind waves 2 to
    4 ft. NW swell 6 to 8 ft. Patchy fog.
    “Captain Aliyar of the Polaris Supreme just called in with 7 Bluefin Tuna up to 150lbs. They are seeing a much bigger grade of fish today and have suffered some casualties due to tackle failure. Please be prepared with everything from 40-100# line.”

With that said, I am hoping everyone brings the big gear when fishing this week and into the weekend. Have been on numerous trips where bass rod people get scolded while hooked up by the entire boat. Have also been on the boat with boat owner and captain of the Excalibur Chuck Taft who will just cut you off. So fair warning please bring the big stuff. Or you may get cut off. Thank you

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0