Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Anytime someone joins a forum for the sole purpose of flaming an operation, it’s suspect. Clearly, he didn’t have the experience he desired, and that happens. But, at this point, his reasons and motives say more about his character than of the boats. Jez sayin…

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

slowhaler

May 11, 2010
santa maria ca usa
Name
porty
Boat
montauk 17
I've been on 2 recent trips on the SE80. One with Mike driving and one with Scott as the capt.

Here is a copy of the email I sent Scott after the second trip. He has declined to respond as of yet.

Scott,

I am writing this just to give you some feedback on the trip I just returned from. As a business owner I always like to hear how my clients feel about my work. I also feel it's much better to contact the business owner directly as opposed to just flaming someone on the internet. I have been fishing with the San Diego fleet for over 20 years and generally do 5 or 6 trips a year. I have done trips from 1.5 days up to 10 day trips on a number of the boats. I actually was on the Sea Adventure 80 last month as well.

"The good"

I caught 4 bluefin. 1 the first day and 3 the second day. I also handed off a fish to one of the passengers that had not caught one.

The crew. The guys did a good job. I especially enjoyed Niko. He was quite fun to fish with. All the crew were especially attentive to tangles and helping clients land their fish.

Banter from the captain. I think you did a good job telling us where the fish were. I also enjoyed some of the comedy that you shared.

I actually really like the boat. Lots of room in the stern and up the side of the wheelhouse. Bunks were spacious and comfortable, but hot with no ventialtion.

"The not so good"

Food was somewhat weak. I had to laugh due to the fact that we had exactly the same menu as when I went out last month. Is that all he knows how to cook? A few of the passengers also complained that they told him that they had special diet concerns which he totally ignored.

Broken ventilation system in the bunkroom. This is somewhat inexcusable. The fans were not adequate.

Probably my biggest complaint was our speed both to and returning from the fishing grounds. We were traveling at roughly 7 knots. Most of the boats travel at a minimum of 9 and many travel at 10-11 knots. I counted no less than 6 boats passing us on the way out! This accounted for us arriving at Tanner bank at 10am on Tues. In your own words this was probably one of the nicest days you have seen in over 50 years! With even a 10 knot cruising speed we would have arrived at 7am. Looking back at the fishing reports, early tuesday is when many of the boats got a majority of their fish. I do know that Wed morning before 10 is when we got a majority of our fish. This also accounted for us having to leave the grounds at 4:30 on Wed. At least 2 hours early just so you could save some fuel. Based on the speed of the boat I figure we wasted over 5-6 hours of prime fishing time at the bank. From my experience bluefin bite best in the morning and evening hours. We wasted almost a whole days trip worth of the best fishing times!

I'm not sure if you are even going to respond to this.

Will I return on the boat? probably not based on this trip. It's really too bad as I really like the boat and the crew.

irob2
irob2
Boat only does 8.2
Upvote 0
Wandering Blues
Wandering Blues
If I may… Contact Lisa with your feedback. Scott, at one point, was 27 straight days on the water. I gave her some honest feedback regarding the last trip and we had a good conversation about it.

And if you didn’t like Lawrence’s cooking, you would have hated the lady we had (she replaced him on short notice). My son described her cooking as on par with his basic training at Ft Leonard Wood.. lol
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

skelly1

• Jun 29, 2006
    Ramona
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    20' skipjack flybridge
    I don't believe the original story. Thanks for the entertainment.

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
    west coast
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    a fish killing center console
    This has to be exaggerated. I did 3 multi-day trips on the Sea Adventure 80 this year and didn't see the actions mentioned by this poster on any of them. First off, this is the first posting from this user (he's had 3 posts, all in this thread, despite joining BD some 6 months ago), so a little suspect to say the least. Second, the boat does rotate the deckhands on slow days, so they don't work every single day. Most of the boats are booked literally every day, so this is one way to keep the crew sane. Third, Gavin is the youngest crew member for sure, but I never found him to be anything other than helpful. Certainly always polite. Almost too polite. Fourth, the cook almost never fishes. I was on the boat for 10 days over 3 trips and I saw him fishing maybe 4 times for less than 20 minutes each time. Sheesh. Fifth, "taking up premium rail space". The boat is 25 feet wide and fits at least 10-12 across the stern. So 3 people took up all the space? I call BS on that. 6th, why be worried about casting near the kelp? 90% of the time the fish are circling the kelp (tuna), are below the kelp (yellowtail), or are on the way toward the chum from the kelp (aka, not in the kelp). 7th, the fish the crew catches ALWAYS go to people who didn't catch fish. I have personally witnessed this on every trip I've taken on the Sea Adventure 80 (and every other boat as well). Hand offs are generally the rule too, so if the crew was fishing, they likely handed off the fish to someone who didn't have one, something again I've witnessed on this boat, as well as every other.

I've been on several boats this year and the Sea Adventure 80 did not have lower service than any of them and frankly the crew was the most polite that I encountered. Yes, the boat is slower than some of the others, but it also holds more bait than any of the non-long range fleet, and that makes a difference when they want to turn a non-biting school into a frenzy. It doesn't hurt that it has staterooms for 20 people, more places for rods than any other non-range boat, and as much rack space as many of the long range boats. I know they put people on fish. The captain told me he had one trip this year with 30 spooled reels. I personally got a cow and 5 or 6 bluefin over 100# on that boat as well this year, so the boat puts the anglers on the fish. It is true that there are a number of unprepared anglers that go on that boat, but from what I saw, the crew literally helped or made sure every one of them got to fight a fish. I don't know what else you can ask for.

I'm not saying perception is not reality, but I believe the OP completely exaggerated what happened, either that or he had an axe to grind, which again maybe is the reason this was his first posting.
    anything is possible, both what he claims and what you defended them with. however, i HIGHLY doubt a person would come on here and simply make up shit purely for the sake of making up shit. what would he gain from that? years ago i posted the same type of report on one of the SD boats and half the people here believed me and half defended the boat. i did not make shit up for shits and giggles. sooooooooooooooo, each person can do what he wishes with the information the OP provided.

irob2
    irob2
    It was horse shit i was on the trip these guys were tools
    Upvote 0

slowhaler

May 11, 2010
    santa maria ca usa
    Name
    porty
    Boat
    montauk 17
    anything is possible, both what he claims and what you defended them with. however, i HIGHLY doubt a person would come on here and simply make up shit purely for the sake of making up shit. what would he gain from that? years ago i posted the same type of report on one of the SD boats and half the people here believed me and half defended the boat. i did not make shit up for shits and giggles. sooooooooooooooo, each person can do what he wishes with the information the OP provided.
    I've been on 2 recent trips on the SE80. One with Mike driving and one with Scott as the capt.

Here is a copy of the email I sent Scott after the second trip. He has declined to respond as of yet.

Scott,

I am writing this just to give you some feedback on the trip I just returned from. As a business owner I always like to hear how my clients feel about my work. I also feel it's much better to contact the business owner directly as opposed to just flaming someone on the internet. I have been fishing with the San Diego fleet for over 20 years and generally do 5 or 6 trips a year. I have done trips from 1.5 days up to 10 day trips on a number of the boats. I actually was on the Sea Adventure 80 last month as well.

"The good"

I caught 4 bluefin. 1 the first day and 3 the second day. I also handed off a fish to one of the passengers that had not caught one.

The crew. The guys did a good job. I especially enjoyed Niko. He was quite fun to fish with. All the crew were especially attentive to tangles and helping clients land their fish.

Banter from the captain. I think you did a good job telling us where the fish were. I also enjoyed some of the comedy that you shared.

I actually really like the boat. Lots of room in the stern and up the side of the wheelhouse. Bunks were spacious and comfortable, but hot with no ventialtion.

"The not so good"

Food was somewhat weak. I had to laugh due to the fact that we had exactly the same menu as when I went out last month. Is that all he knows how to cook? A few of the passengers also complained that they told him that they had special diet concerns which he totally ignored.

Broken ventilation system in the bunkroom. This is somewhat inexcusable. The fans were not adequate.

Probably my biggest complaint was our speed both to and returning from the fishing grounds. We were traveling at roughly 7 knots. Most of the boats travel at a minimum of 9 and many travel at 10-11 knots. I counted no less than 6 boats passing us on the way out! This accounted for us arriving at Tanner bank at 10am on Tues. In your own words this was probably one of the nicest days you have seen in over 50 years! With even a 10 knot cruising speed we would have arrived at 7am. Looking back at the fishing reports, early tuesday is when many of the boats got a majority of their fish. I do know that Wed morning before 10 is when we got a majority of our fish. This also accounted for us having to leave the grounds at 4:30 on Wed. At least 2 hours early just so you could save some fuel. Based on the speed of the boat I figure we wasted over 5-6 hours of prime fishing time at the bank. From my experience bluefin bite best in the morning and evening hours. We wasted almost a whole days trip worth of the best fishing times!

I'm not sure if you are even going to respond to this.

Will I return on the boat? probably not based on this trip. It's really too bad as I really like the boat and the crew.
    fwiw, I'm not trying to get a free trip or anything for that matter. It would be nice though! hahaha

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Okay, so I texted the captain about this and he called me back and told me what went on. Apparently the OP is part of a group of 8 or so. That group previously this summer went on another boat, complained about the service, and got 8 free tickets. Now the group is trying to the same thing again with the SEA 80, posting complaint threads on multiple social media (6 that I have counted) to try and leverage the captain into relenting. Some of the "other complaints" in this thread are from newbies that in all likelihood are part of the same group of 8 people trying to get free rides on boats. This is the same process that was used on other boards too. Apparently it is their MO. Also, this group did catch a bunch of YT too, some with limits. I sure hope this group isn't allowed to this to another boat.
    Seinfeld Soup GIF

• Haha
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Kingskilla

May 25, 2015
    USSSSA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Cornbread
    I just got back from a 3 day on the SA80. We trolled a dredge for two days straight. Spent probably a hour on the rail during the day. Spent all night flat falling. Food was ok, trip sucked ass. There was no effort put forth to locate fish. You all know no one trolls for bft. But the capt got a new toy he wanted to test out at our expense. We could of ran south from tanner n got in on the YFT bite? The kite was never deployed. 1000$ boat ride. Bait was garbage. I don’t know what else to say other than I’ve done 50 trips n this one left a sour taste in my mouth. Deckhands we’re all new not any names mentioned on this thread. I understand it’s fishing but I also know the captains communicate and Capt Scott knew we were going on a sight seeing trip when we left port. Choose your boat and trips wisely.

irob2
    irob2
    Trolling spreader bars has been working really well actually
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I'm sorry Brother.... your trip was slow. My first question.... had you got a number of troll fish on that "Dredge"... you'd be singing a different song for sure today. Had his willingness to run the dredge.... and intuition been rewarded... he would be the "talk of the town"!

Sometimes... when trying "New" techniques... it takes quite a bit of fore thought, time and effort to learn the "nuances" necessary to get the desired result. Believe me when I tell you.... the KITE was the same way.... 35 years ago. They all laughed.... NOW ITS THE STANDARD.

So.... next time... maybe a less "willing" Capt. Will do the same song and dance everyone else is doing... and your chances will be the same as all the others.... questionable at best. At least you'd feel your money was well spent. Plenty of "safe" skippers out there... for your next trip. Just my thoughts Brother. Be safe out there.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    If I may ask....what's a 'dredge'. Thanks.

W
    woodfish330
    Multi lure (bait school) simulator. Like a 3D "Spreader Bar".... depending on the lures used and desired configuration. GOOGLE is a "good" thing Brother"... look up fishing dredge. If you see freshwater.... think much bigger.... for much larger "target species. Ie.... tuna .... dorado etc.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0