3.5 day trip on Sea Adventure 80 out of San Diego

OCFishie

Jul 18, 2015
Name
fish lips
Boat
Boat has no name
This was posted by someone on this trip in another forum. He eventually named the SA80. OP was from out of state fishing with a group of friends. Not sure if he is one in the same as this OP.

2ACE86F4-D187-4828-B1FD-7BA9D33B78A1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    This was posted by someone on this trip in another forum. He eventually named the SA80. OP was from out of state fishing with a group of friends. Not sure if he is one in the same as this OP.

View attachment 1307696
    Something doesn’t sound right.
    This doesn’t pass the sniff test also.

Has anyone in their entire life of fishing on a boat out of San Diego seen all working hands on deck fishing, including both Captains at the same time they should be throwing bait and assisting paying fishermen?

Let alone the statement that 6 to 8 extra fishermen make the whole boat unfishable?

I‘m not saying impossible but way out there.
    I guess if both Captains had ZERO confidence in the fisherman on the boat, they may have stepped in to put some fish on the boat. But at what cost? I’m sure the captains have come back skunked before.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Markboyle
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Hello all...just returned from a 3.5 day trip on the Sea Adventure 80 out of H&M landing in San Diego. I don't do party boats anymore, I have my own boat in the bay area. Although the bluefin opportunity and friends swayed me to jump onboard with 26 paying fishermen and a crew of 8. The experience was one of actual disbelief. On EVERY stop the first to the rail with bait and hardware were the crew of the boat. The young disrespectful snot nose kid named Gavin was always the first to be in the water. While approaching kelp patties he was the first to get a lure in for the premium retrieve along side the kelp. He would actually run pass client to get in first. If you were to head to the stern you would find most of the deck hand, the cook and the father of one of the crew members taking up premium rail space. The father was one who had no idea which way is up and if hooked up would interfere with the ENTIRE boat. They all caught fish which we anticipated would be used for us to eat during the trip. Nope! They were fishing for themselves and kept all they caught even though many on the 3.5 day trip didn't catch any fish. I'm not sure if this is the norm for the industry now a days but if I were to have an elk tag in my back pocket for a client I was guiding and pushed him aside to shoot a nice bull I think things would go sideways. Amongst all the bullchit there was one crew doing an outstanding job, his name was Chad. He was new to the boat and gave some hope to the integrity of the job. Wow. What a pathetic joke. I feel sorry for all those onboard who had to tolerate this crap. UP YOURS Sea Adventure 80.
    I had the same experience on a different boat 1.5 day trip. Will not be going back anytime soon, glad I have my own boat. Trip I was on even the Captain put in the same rail time I did. Not mentioning the name because we all need to make a living just not going back.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Something doesn’t sound right.
    This doesn’t pass the sniff test also.

Has anyone in their entire life of fishing on a boat out of San Diego seen all working hands on deck fishing, including both Captains at the same time they should be throwing bait and assisting paying fishermen?

Let alone the statement that 6 to 8 extra fishermen make the whole boat unfishable?

I‘m not saying impossible but way out there.
    I guess if both Captains had ZERO confidence in the fisherman on the boat, they may have stepped in to put some fish on the boat. But at what cost? I’m sure the captains have come back skunked before.
    First statement- yes I have, especially when they think the anglers on board won't catch fish. Second statement-no.

Upvote 0

gfarmanian

Jul 31, 2017
    Coeur d'Alene
    Name
    greg farmanian
    Boat
    22' Alumaweld
    I will keep this brief. I was on that boat and concur with Striper MF and I guarantee 90% of the clients on the boat would also agree. This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of fishing. Fishing is fishing sometimes is on fire sometimes it's not. The Captains did do a good job of finding fish, but thats were it ends. We battled the entire crew for fishing spots when we had a short bite or paddy hopped. I probably would not have been too upset with that if they did not keep the fish for themselves and send customers home empty handed. Regardless we should not have had to battle the crew for fishing spots. Other things like, not allowing any casting from the stern of the boat but half the crew was casting iron from there, or being pushed out of the way at the bow, or the Captain cussing at boats that got to close with kids and women aboard. I could go on, but enough said....The SA80 had a great reputation when the owner Scott was running it, his son Mike is now running it and I'm sure Scott will not tolerate this for long.

S
    Sean Stafford
    I was the one who brought my wife and son on this trip. There has been nothing exaggerated here, the accounts of this trip are 100% factual. I will say that there were 3 deckhands (Chad, Connor, and Nico) that do their jobs very well and are definitely not part of the problem in my opinion

Fishjunk

Aug 10, 2021
    The Rockies
    Name
    Mike Parr
    Boat
    Grady
    Bummer...and so blatant. Were the guests talking about that?
    I have no patience for stuff like that, and would have asked the Captain WTF?

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    If things were as bad as they are being reported here, I wonder what happened when it was time to pay the galley tab and tip the crew. Did people leave $100 or $150 for a tip or did they only leave $10 or $15 and explain why they were unhappy. If the crew only got $200 or $300 in tips instead of the expected $2,000 or $3,000 they might learn a valuable lesson about customer service. I'm pretty sure a 90% drop in their tips would get their attention.

Upvote 0

Ifish5920

Jan 17, 2021
    Cameron Park, CA.
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    This has to be exaggerated. I did 3 multi-day trips on the Sea Adventure 80 this year and didn't see the actions mentioned by this poster on any of them. First off, this is the first posting from this user (he's had 3 posts, all in this thread, despite joining BD some 6 months ago), so a little suspect to say the least. Second, the boat does rotate the deckhands on slow days, so they don't work every single day. Most of the boats are booked literally every day, so this is one way to keep the crew sane. Third, Gavin is the youngest crew member for sure, but I never found him to be anything other than helpful. Certainly always polite. Almost too polite. Fourth, the cook almost never fishes. I was on the boat for 10 days over 3 trips and I saw him fishing maybe 4 times for less than 20 minutes each time. Sheesh. Fifth, "taking up premium rail space". The boat is 25 feet wide and fits at least 10-12 across the stern. So 3 people took up all the space? I call BS on that. 6th, why be worried about casting near the kelp? 90% of the time the fish are circling the kelp (tuna), are below the kelp (yellowtail), or are on the way toward the chum from the kelp (aka, not in the kelp). 7th, the fish the crew catches ALWAYS go to people who didn't catch fish. I have personally witnessed this on every trip I've taken on the Sea Adventure 80 (and every other boat as well). Hand offs are generally the rule too, so if the crew was fishing, they likely handed off the fish to someone who didn't have one, something again I've witnessed on this boat, as well as every other.

I've been on several boats this year and the Sea Adventure 80 did not have lower service than any of them and frankly the crew was the most polite that I encountered. Yes, the boat is slower than some of the others, but it also holds more bait than any of the non-long range fleet, and that makes a difference when they want to turn a non-biting school into a frenzy. It doesn't hurt that it has staterooms for 20 people, more places for rods than any other non-range boat, and as much rack space as many of the long range boats. I know they put people on fish. The captain told me he had one trip this year with 30 spooled reels. I personally got a cow and 5 or 6 bluefin over 100# on that boat as well this year, so the boat puts the anglers on the fish. It is true that there are a number of unprepared anglers that go on that boat, but from what I saw, the crew literally helped or made sure every one of them got to fight a fish. I don't know what else you can ask for.

I'm not saying perception is not reality, but I believe the OP completely exaggerated what happened, either that or he had an axe to grind, which again maybe is the reason this was his first posting.
    The OP posted this originally on Coastside and was encouraged to post it on BD for more attention

Reactions: kbray001 and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

StriperMF

Feb 23, 2021
    Santa Clara
    Name
    mikefarmanian
    Boat
    Striper
    I'm finding this to be,maybe exaggerated ? I know those guys and just can't picture what was described as happening to that extent.But i wasn't there so.....
    I have no reason or nothing to gain by making my fellow fishermen aware of a bad apple, I mean rotten apple, within our industry which I have been involved in all my life. What I posted plj46 was only the half of it, I could keep going. It was disgusting and a betrayal to all the hardworking ethical fishermen within the industry who work hard to earn the trust and business of people seeking a legitimate and fair experience. This is the first negative post I have ever written.

Upvote 0

jeh1955

Jan 10, 2008
    Patterson,Ca
    Name
    James
    Boat
    19' Arima Miss A.D.
    Do you have reading comprehension issues ? Go back and read slower next time.
    Nothing wrong with my comprehension, maybe you should follow your own advise.
    afraser started his post with " This has to be exaggerated. I did 3 multi-day trips on the Sea Adventure 80 this year and didn't see the actions mentioned by this poster on any of them."
    If that is not calling the man a liar, what is?

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    This poster is well known on another site that I am also well known on. He is legit.
    He is NOT "well known" on coastside. He has a total of 10 messages on that board, all from 2021, 2 of them in the same thread about this complaint.

Reactions: Husband and plj46
    J
    JamesZ
    Shit. I didn't know you had to be known to post a legitimate complaint. How many trips you been on? Obviously couldn't be many if you've never had a shit trips. Guess what? My worst trip was on the SOA with Mike Keating. Everything was trash that trip. It happens.
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    This poster is well known on another site that I am also well known on. He is legit.
    Nothing wrong with my comprehension, maybe you should follow your own advise.
    afraser started his post with " This has to be exaggerated. I did 3 multi-day trips on the Sea Adventure 80 this year and didn't see the actions mentioned by this poster on any of them."
    If that is not calling the man a liar, what is?
    Perception is reality, so maybe he perceived this trip much worse than reality. I can see that. Maybe he had a bad week and just was grumpy about everything. But I do know that what he said was not the reality experienced by 99.9% of the passengers on that boat. I'm guessing it was a super slow trip and the captain asked the crew to help hook a few fish to hand off to passengers and the OP just didn't happen to get a handoff. BTW, EVERY boat does this. Every single boat that I've been on, the crew fishes some of the time, and hands off fish, except the cook, on every boat the cook seems to fight his fish. Even customers hand off fish when there are people who haven't caught any. I know I've done it. I've seen others do it.

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    Yea i belive what the guy said about his fishing trip , my last 5 trips on over priced sportfishing boats didnt produce one fish for me and a couple of the trips the capt. and crew were fishing and sometimes were a little much , my last and final trip on a sportboat the capt came down off the bridge and fished right next to me and caught a nice white sea bass , then went back up to the bridge. I keep thinking about trying another trip but after 5 trips and no fish and all the bad experiences with rude crew i dont think I ever will , besides I bought my own boat

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    OK,
    I guess I will jump overboard and swim with the baitfish now that I’ve been schooled.

Fact: Sometimes/always when the Captain and crew fish on a cattle boat it offends some paying customers.

I never got the memo or read on the website that the Captain and crew were not allowed to fish as a perk working on a cattle boat. I also thought everyone knew that cattle boats meant combat fishing for position was standard procedure ( in a polite way of course ).

I will admit that I don’t like having to compete with expert fishermen (Captain and crew included) but I am definitely willing to learn by following their example.

I like how several comments liken a cattle boat to guided hunting and fishing. Apples and Oranges.

I have had great and poor service on guided fishing trips and cattle boats, my tip always spoke volumes.

No offence intended to anyone here.
    cheers

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    If things were as bad as they are being reported here, I wonder what happened when it was time to pay the galley tab and tip the crew. Did people leave $100 or $150 for a tip or did they only leave $10 or $15 and explain why they were unhappy. If the crew only got $200 or $300 in tips instead of the expected $2,000 or $3,000 they might learn a valuable lesson about customer service. I'm pretty sure a 90% drop in their tips would get their attention.
    if your expecting any tips, you shouldn't get a dime.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I have no reason or nothing to gain by making my fellow fishermen aware of a bad apple, I mean rotten apple, within our industry which I have been involved in all my life. What I posted plj46 was only the half of it, I could keep going. It was disgusting and a betrayal to all the hardworking ethical fishermen within the industry who work hard to earn the trust and business of people seeking a legitimate and fair experience. This is the first negative post I have ever written.
    Would you care to share the rest of your story about the trip?

Upvote 0