3.5 day trip on Sea Adventure 80 out of San Diego

StriperMF

Feb 23, 2021
Santa Clara
Name
mikefarmanian
Boat
Striper
Hello all...just returned from a 3.5 day trip on the Sea Adventure 80 out of H&M landing in San Diego. I don't do party boats anymore, I have my own boat in the bay area. Although the bluefin opportunity and friends swayed me to jump onboard with 26 paying fishermen and a crew of 8. The experience was one of actual disbelief. On EVERY stop the first to the rail with bait and hardware were the crew of the boat. The young disrespectful snot nose kid named Gavin was always the first to be in the water. While approaching kelp patties he was the first to get a lure in for the premium retrieve along side the kelp. He would actually run pass client to get in first. If you were to head to the stern you would find most of the deck hand, the cook and the father of one of the crew members taking up premium rail space. The father was one who had no idea which way is up and if hooked up would interfere with the ENTIRE boat. They all caught fish which we anticipated would be used for us to eat during the trip. Nope! They were fishing for themselves and kept all they caught even though many on the 3.5 day trip didn't catch any fish. I'm not sure if this is the norm for the industry now a days but if I were to have an elk tag in my back pocket for a client I was guiding and pushed him aside to shoot a nice bull I think things would go sideways. Amongst all the bullchit there was one crew doing an outstanding job, his name was Chad. He was new to the boat and gave some hope to the integrity of the job. Wow. What a pathetic joke. I feel sorry for all those onboard who had to tolerate this crap. UP YOURS Sea Adventure 80.

mandoman68
mandoman68
Something's never change. That little fucker got shit from me the last time I fished with them. And his dad was on board too. Aussie . Lives up north
Upvote 0
Scorpio
Scorpio
i was on the boat a few years ago and never went on it again
Upvote 0
J
JamesZ
Sadly the socal fishing scene has SERIOUSLY went down hill in the last about 20 years. I'm "kinda" old school. I started in the 80s. My how things have changed. And none for the better sadly.
Reactions: T-Tang
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I for one appreciate your honesty, But your about to get flamed by the you shouldn't say anything bad crowd. I think info like this is needed to help people decide where to spend their hard earned $. I would be pissed too, it's like going on a trip and they say the load is 28 and then you find out that it's 32 the charter master and three of he friends and when you inquire about it you find out The captain told the crew not to do anything for you stand there waiting 20 minutes for a gaff.

themacs

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 18, 2003
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    none
    This is totally wrong for the San Diego fleet. I'm so sorry you came down and this was how you were treated. I have done over 50 trips 4 to 26 days and I have NEVER experianced this. I hope you went directly to the office, let them know about this and received a total refund. WHO was the captain on this trip?
    Just NOT acceptable in any way shape or form. :(

Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    Have not ridden the SA80, but there are many historical threads with very positive feedback. Sorry to hear your experience was so poor. Curious to see if other BD'ers were on your trip and hear their opinions/experiences.

Although, there is one mention of a "Gavin" from the SA80, which wasn't favorable, but interesting you both referred to him as "snot nosed".

REF: Post #20

Reactions: mandoman68
    mandoman68
    mandoman68
    Gavin is great fisherman. He will put you on fish...If you are at an advanced level and don't need help he's your guy. I would fish with him again. I guarantee he WILL treat me right next time.But if customer service is your thing like most people than avoid him. I grew up fishing party boats in 70s and 80s. If he can get his shit together I believe he can be one of the best Little fucker. 😂
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Some people love the boat, others not so much. Lot's of outfits to spend your money on. Sorry this was your experience, I had a similar one some years back, and never went back.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I'm finding this to be,maybe exaggerated ? I know those guys and just can't picture what was described as happening to that extent.But i wasn't there so.....

mandoman68
    mandoman68
    Believe it bro. I spent time with these guys. It's just like he described. The kid is fishy for sure......but customer service is not his thing...show him my pic. His dad and him will never forget me.
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.... for ANY Sportfishing Operation.... period. Having been a Skipper.... Deck hand.... Bait Boy.... all of it....I cannot even believe they would even try that with today's Social Media.... and online communities.

Unresponsible.... unacceptable.... I just can't go on saying enough about how bad that is for the WHOLE Charter / Sportfishing Industry. Selfish behavior.... ignorance by the Office.... Blind Eye by the Skipper..... "if you can't beat them to the rail...join them"..... crew mentality. One guy.... out of 8 crew members.... offering decent service.... sad, sad, sad!!!

Personally had a couple trips on that boat....quite a few years ago.... where all went well... and not an unhappy customer in site. Just a few weeks ago....I believe you may have been asking here on BD....whether this boat was worth a crap.... I said I would go with SA80.... based on my previously "good" experiences with them in the past.

SORRY IF YOU LISTENED TO MY RECOMENDATION BROTHER....I will not be chiming in "positively" again on this boat... per your experience there. Be safe out there.... just really disappointed in the SA80.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Nolo Contendre=THIS is what a forum is for. Solid Input!
    I've had same happen on boats I won't mention, but
    simply never fished them ever again. Some good posts here.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Had some cluster F%#$ trips on the SA80 in the past. Boat has a good larger layout for a short range boat . Some of the stories would blow your mind -reality show type stuff.

After my last trip a few years back.. I wrote a nice email to Capt Scott about my findings and the greater potential of the vessel (like howabout spend 20 bux and upgrade the heads)
    I did not get back the answers that I was hoping for.

Upvote 0

OCFishie

Jul 18, 2015
    Name
    fish lips
    Boat
    Boat has no name
    Thanks for the report. Yours was not the only one mentioning this on the SA80. There are others on the trip that said the same thing in other forums I follow.
    I know this is not the boat I would go on in the future. Again, thanks for bringing this up.

Upvote 0

StriperMF

Feb 23, 2021
    Santa Clara
    Name
    mikefarmanian
    Boat
    Striper
    This is totally wrong for the San Diego fleet. I'm so sorry you came down and this was how you were treated. I have done over 50 trips 4 to 26 days and I have NEVER experianced this. I hope you went directly to the office, let them know about this and received a total refund. WHO was the captain on this trip?
    Just NOT acceptable in any way shape or form. :(
    Mike McDaniel was the Captain

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Hello all...just returned from a 3.5 day trip on the Sea Adventure 80 out of H&M landing in San Diego. I don't do party boats anymore, I have my own boat in the bay area. Although the bluefin opportunity and friends swayed me to jump onboard with 26 paying fishermen and a crew of 8. The experience was one of actual disbelief. On EVERY stop the first to the rail with bait and hardware were the crew of the boat. The young disrespectful snot nose kid named Gavin was always the first to be in the water. While approaching kelp patties he was the first to get a lure in for the premium retrieve along side the kelp. He would actually run pass client to get in first. If you were to head to the stern you would find most of the deck hand, the cook and the father of one of the crew members taking up premium rail space. The father was one who had no idea which way is up and if hooked up would interfere with the ENTIRE boat. They all caught fish which we anticipated would be used for us to eat during the trip. Nope! They were fishing for themselves and kept all they caught even though many on the 3.5 day trip didn't catch any fish. I'm not sure if this is the norm for the industry now a days but if I were to have an elk tag in my back pocket for a client I was guiding and pushed him aside to shoot a nice bull I think things would go sideways. Amongst all the bullchit there was one crew doing an outstanding job, his name was Chad. He was new to the boat and gave some hope to the integrity of the job. Wow. What a pathetic joke. I feel sorry for all those onboard who had to tolerate this crap. UP YOURS Sea Adventure 80.
    This has to be exaggerated. I did 3 multi-day trips on the Sea Adventure 80 this year and didn't see the actions mentioned by this poster on any of them. First off, this is the first posting from this user (he's had 3 posts, all in this thread, despite joining BD some 6 months ago), so a little suspect to say the least. Second, the boat does rotate the deckhands on slow days, so they don't work every single day. Most of the boats are booked literally every day, so this is one way to keep the crew sane. Third, Gavin is the youngest crew member for sure, but I never found him to be anything other than helpful. Certainly always polite. Almost too polite. Fourth, the cook almost never fishes. I was on the boat for 10 days over 3 trips and I saw him fishing maybe 4 times for less than 20 minutes each time. Sheesh. Fifth, "taking up premium rail space". The boat is 25 feet wide and fits at least 10-12 across the stern. So 3 people took up all the space? I call BS on that. 6th, why be worried about casting near the kelp? 90% of the time the fish are circling the kelp (tuna), are below the kelp (yellowtail), or are on the way toward the chum from the kelp (aka, not in the kelp). 7th, the fish the crew catches ALWAYS go to people who didn't catch fish. I have personally witnessed this on every trip I've taken on the Sea Adventure 80 (and every other boat as well). Hand offs are generally the rule too, so if the crew was fishing, they likely handed off the fish to someone who didn't have one, something again I've witnessed on this boat, as well as every other.

I've been on several boats this year and the Sea Adventure 80 did not have lower service than any of them and frankly the crew was the most polite that I encountered. Yes, the boat is slower than some of the others, but it also holds more bait than any of the non-long range fleet, and that makes a difference when they want to turn a non-biting school into a frenzy. It doesn't hurt that it has staterooms for 20 people, more places for rods than any other non-range boat, and as much rack space as many of the long range boats. I know they put people on fish. The captain told me he had one trip this year with 30 spooled reels. I personally got a cow and 5 or 6 bluefin over 100# on that boat as well this year, so the boat puts the anglers on the fish. It is true that there are a number of unprepared anglers that go on that boat, but from what I saw, the crew literally helped or made sure every one of them got to fight a fish. I don't know what else you can ask for.

I'm not saying perception is not reality, but I believe the OP completely exaggerated what happened, either that or he had an axe to grind, which again maybe is the reason this was his first posting.

mandoman68
    mandoman68
    Save your breath....it's true. If your gonna call me a liar be a man and do it in person......I'm very easy to find...
    Upvote 0
    K
    King Halibut
    He called it as he saw it, who are you to question what he experienced?
    You may have had a great experience but apparently he did not!
    Never disregard another’s experience good or bad!
    Upvote 0

jeh1955

Jan 10, 2008
    Patterson,Ca
    Name
    James
    Boat
    19' Arima Miss A.D.
    I'm finding this to be,maybe exaggerated ? I know those guys and just can't picture what was described as happening to that extent.But i wasn't there so.....
    So you are calling the man a liar? If someone else that was on that trip post something saying the same thing, will you say that they are exaggerating also, or just be silent? I have been on many trips from 5 to 8 days and have never had anything but great crews. The type of crews that I and most, if not all on board were happy to tip generously. Because you know the boat and crew doesn't mean it didn't happen like he said.

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    So you are calling the man a liar? If someone else that was on that trip post something saying the same thing, will you say that they are exaggerating also, or just be silent? I have been on many trips from 5 to 8 days and have never had anything but great crews. The type of crews that I and most, if not all on board were happy to tip generously. Because you know the boat and crew doesn't mean it didn't happen like he said
    It is a fact that this was the first, very first, post by the OP. If this was someone who was known in the BD community, then it would be more credible.

mandoman68
    mandoman68
    Says the guy who hides behind an avatar. Aren't you reading the responses? Your probably Gavin or his dad 😂. You trolls are my sunshine.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    It is a fact that this was the first, very first, post by the OP. If this was someone who was known in the BD community, then it would be more credible.
    Don't post much anymore but I've had 2 well known and seemingly well liked community members completely make shit up about me and post it..then accuse me of stealing charity money sent by some incredible people many of whom read but never post on this site.
    So being well known sometimes don't mean shit..

Last edited:

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    I was on the the SA80 on 5-13-21 for a 2.5 day trip. The trip was great. The deckhands worked their tails off. The food was fantastic. I saw the cook try and fish for a few minutes after dinner was done but he was too busy working his magic in the kitchen then cleaning to ever really fish. The two times I saw the cook fish he was always adjacent to the kitchen for about 10 minutes of fishing. I never saw the deckhands fishing the whole trip, except to help another fisherman with a problem. The Captain was on the deck several times helping make sure all the tuna were making it to the deck when the bite was hot. It was difficult fishing overall as most of the patties were barren of YT and lots of the BFT had lockjaw. I landed 2 50-60 lb BFT And a couple YT. Biggest fish on the boat was a 157lb BFT.
    The Captan and boat get a 98% on my scorecard.

Wow,
    Sorry you lost a fish because a deckhand had the wrong pole in his hand.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.
    Every adventure out on the water is different.

Is it fair to say, one young deckhand on your trip spent too much time fishing instead of working?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    So you are calling the man a liar? If someone else that was on that trip post something saying the same thing, will you say that they are exaggerating also, or just be silent? I have been on many trips from 5 to 8 days and have never had anything but great crews. The type of crews that I and most, if not all on board were happy to tip generously. Because you know the boat and crew doesn't mean it didn't happen like he said.
    Do you have reading comprehension issues ? Go back and read slower next time.

Upvote 0