3.5 Day, early Sept or early October?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by nicodemus, May 18, 2016.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member

Name:
    Nicholas Bronson
    Boat:
    themodcatfish
    I have two openings to do a 3.5 day trip on the Top Gun 80, either second week of September or second week of October. Wondering if anyone has an opionion on which might be better timing? I've been looking at the historical fish counts (at least for last year), and both months were pretty productive.

2. Tar Pit

Tar Pit I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    My two cents is to stay away from the weekends. The last 3 years the fish have been real close too home and the boat traffic was a mess. Also the big 3 parking is a joke on the weekends.

3. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I like October....did a quick trip a couple of years ago on the Tribute and had a blast. When every boat is still running the bait gets hammered by all the boats using it...the landings are jammed packed.....and weekend warriors are out in full force. It's a little bit more mellow come October and normally the warm water fish are still around in abundance. Good luck.

Steve K likes this.
  4. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    October is fine and TG80 is a great operation. I personally prefer TG80 over many of the other mid-priced range of boats.
    Good luck.

5. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Tough call. Who knows what this year will bring. Generally, in late September the water starts to cool down and the good fishing goes farther south. So depending on what you want to catch should determine when to go. I agree that the week days are lighter than the weekend. Usually after Labor day, or when school starts, the passenger load gets lighter.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member

Name:
    Nicholas Bronson
    Boat:
    themodcatfish
    Thanks for the info, guys. I hadn't considered summer or weekend crowds, but it makes sense. My schedule seems to be getting tighter anyway, so it may have to be October after all.