3.5 day boat choice

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
Idaho
Name
Mike
Boat
None
Trying to decide between the Top Gun 80, Ranger 85 and Excalibur for a 3.5 mid October trip. Any insight would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Ranger for me hands down. Been on a 3.5 day with e=hi each of the past 2 years

2019 Day 1 Tanner
Day 2 Offshore for YFT - then back in to replace crappy bait
Day 3 Offshore to finish YFT limits then way out west for a 4 hour ripper bite on 35-60lb BFT

2020 Day 1 105 miles south for a kelp he had marked with a beacon for all you wanted Dorado and YFT
Day 2 Cortez
Day 3 Tanner and Clemente

My point above here is Jake will not hesitate to burn fuel to go find fish. Both of the trips above had 12-16 anglers. AKA he didn't make a ton of $$

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    I would look at bait capacity. You don't want them to be running low on bait on day 3.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Have to go with the Excalibur here. I fished all boats that you are mentioning. And I have to say Excalibur was the best bluefin boat I’ve been on out of the 3. They put on some super super monsters last season. Unfortunately it just wasn’t our trip to get one over 200. But that boat gets bit no doubt about it

Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    All are probably decent choices. TG80 has very nice interior, minimal room on the side rails so bring knee pads if there's any sign of large passengers. Ranger has great reviews.

Aztec has a 3 day trip October 24th FYI

Reactions: Idamike

Idamike

Dec 10, 2017
    Idaho
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None
    Thanks for all of the input so far. Lots of good info. The San Diego fleet is pretty much top notch and it’s hard to make a choice sometimes. I’ve been on quite a few so far and there is only one that I would “prefer” not to go on again.

Bajayounggun

Aug 15, 2010
    Long Beach/CA/USA
    Name
    Gary Boyd
    Boat
    The Lucky Hooker
    If you want to catch quantity and quality fish the Top Gun 80 would be my choice...she is a great fishing platform and kept in great condition. Bob Taft is an absolute savage...every time I have fished that boat he has given us plenty of opportunities to catch em. Bring your big boy pants if you wanna fish on the boat though because those guys can get pretty salty!

Reactions: Idamike

Cody B

Almost A Member
    Feb 21, 2018
    So Cal
    Name
    Cody
    Boat
    NA
    I have been on the Ranger 85 and the Excalibur. Both great boats, but for a 3.5 day, I would ride the Excalibur. I like Captain Joel as well. Cool guy. Comes down during dinner to serve meals and talk with everyone.

Reactions: Motofish

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I have been on the Ranger 85 and the Excalibur. Both great boats, but for a 3.5 day, I would ride the Excalibur. I like Captain Joel as well. Cool guy. Comes down during dinner to serve meals and talk with everyone.
    I dont know anything about the Excalibur but just watched the video on their site. Nice boat.

Cody B

Almost A Member
    Feb 21, 2018
    So Cal
    Name
    Cody
    Boat
    NA
    Try it out! Large beamy boat, all double wide bunks, large galley, huge bait compacity, 27 max load.

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat
    Seacraft 20
    T

Their 3 day trips fill up within days of their schedule being released...they kill fish and people know it, also exceptional fish handling. I booked the day it came out for the oct 11th trip and it was filled the next morning.

I would rather book a 2 day or 2.5 day on the queen then a 3 to 3.5 day on another boat for the same price... when u get on that boat u no your going fishing... I haven’t been on any charter boat for a couple years now ( I bought my own boat) so I don’t no who the cook is now... the only think I can say bad about the queen is the breakfast burrito Tasted like a mush salt log... everything else imo is great... best captain and crew I’ve ever fished with... the only boat I would pay to fish on for anything more then overnight...

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I love the crew on the ranger but the boat itself leaves alot to be desired,watch your head getting to the forward bunks!

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I’ve fished all three and have no complaints on any of them. This year I’ve booked several 3 1/2 day trips from H&M 1 on the Ranger, 1 on Legend, 1 on the Excalibur and 4 on the TG 80. Main reason I pick TG is that they run mostly 1/2 option on their trips so they get back in the morning and by around noon the boat is ready to go. I enjoy getting to the landing early, getting prime parking ( since we all know how horrible parking is at the landing), loading my gear directly onto the boat, getting some good food, prepping my gear and relaxing until it’s time to go out. Most boats run a tight schedule where the boat comes back 6-8 PM and then has to be prepped for a quick turn around. I hate scrambling for parking, waiting around the dock with all my gear while waiting for the boarding call then scrambling to drag all my gear to the boat. Bob and Scotty don’t play though so bring your big boy panties and leave hurt feeling behind. While Julio and Nate may not seem like the friendliest crew they are not that bad once you talk to them. But SHHHH! Don’t let the word out.