PENN

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
we took off this morning on the new Seaforth with nice weather and headed up north for some rock cod that was biting ok
C1FE03B5-DF2E-4414-A117-AA526BE6F7C6.jpeg

7E7E8124-B036-4E54-B897-6DB7B29CEC70.jpeg

653F6999-C8C9-444D-8F53-03762CC1AACD.jpeg

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Buy a skiff already dude. you will kill it. more quality fish when you find spots that the sport boats dont think is worth their time to drift.

Especially one like your Dusky. They build those close to mt Florida condo, Great boats. and Im in El Cajon when you need someone for a bay trip!!

Reactions: duckbutter6a
Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Man those are some tiny fish.
I did the afternoon run yesterday in my own boat and fished 1 mile south of them on some of my go to spots however that's all I caught as well nothing but tiny reds. After 2 drops for rats I moved north and ended up 1/4 mile south of the PM boat on another set of rocks and limited out on nice 1.5-2.0 pound reds and 1 copper. Its a shame the sportys only care about numbers they look at a meter long enough to know whats below them yet they stay there drop after drop taking the small ones; but at least they got something to take home & eat.

Upvote 0

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Why bother fileting at all!? If you are going to keep a fish this size in the first place at least just descale and gut only, then bake whole.

Exhibit A for why rockfish season isn’t year round.

BC8F6BAB-1618-43B3-9985-46DAEB764405.png

Reactions: QueenAnnesRevenge
Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I did the afternoon run yesterday in my own boat and fished 1 mile south of them on some of my go to spots however that's all I caught as well nothing but tiny reds. After 2 drops for rats I moved north and ended up 1/4 mile south of the PM boat on another set of rocks and limited out on nice 1.5-2.0 pound reds and 1 copper. Its a shame the sportys only care about numbers they look at a meter long enough to know whats below them yet they stay there drop after drop taking the small ones; but at least they got something to take home & eat.

To be fair to them, it's a lot harder to set up a tight drift over a spot on a 85 feet boat. Sport boat captains prefer long drifts over a large area of hard bottom, as opposed to short drifts where they have to tell their customers to wind them up after one drop. Private boats can do either, and when I'm rock fishing, I often target spots where it's only possible to do one precise drop before you have to turn the boat around, and these tend to produce better because sport boats don't hit them.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
To be fair to them, it's a lot harder to set up a tight drift over a spot on a 85 feet boat. Sport boat captains prefer long drifts over a large area of hard bottom, as opposed to short drifts where they have to tell their customers to wind them up after one drop. Private boats can do either, and when I'm rock fishing, I often target spots where it's only possible to do one precise drop before you have to turn the boat around, and these tend to produce better because sport boats don't hit them.
So True!

I looked at yesterday's PM total and evidently the skipper had some class after seeing what was coming aboard and then moved the boat inside and finished the day on Whitefish.

Upvote 0