Offshore 3/4 Day YFT - 8-20-14

PENN

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Wanted to take my younger son out to experience the offshore action, but couldn't find any 1.5 day or overnight trips on somewhat short notice (had to find out his latest work schedule). Found the Sea Watch at Seaforth was available so booked the spots. I think they're mostly a half-day operation, but doing offshore duty during the current local bite.

Drove down through bands of showers with thunderstorms in OC and upper SD counties and hoped it would be clearer down south. It started out that way, but as we headed SW then S we went through a couple squalls for our morning shower, with quite a bit of lightning somewhat disturbingly close by.

We came out from under the clouds around 0900 and the captain spotted some jumpers. My son got his first tuna off this one -- high five! I didn't make him eat the heart as I never did and things were hectic. Boils all around the boat, probably lasted 30-45 minutes. I didn't get one; mostly helping him.

Second spot soon after I think were meter fish. A little shorter bite this time, but still lots of boils with some completely out of the water. Saw a big shark but couldn't verify kind. I got one tuna here.

A long drought after that as we continued south, went east a bit, and started back north. It was getting late when the captain gunned the engines heading toward a couple terns picking in the distance. We got there and he said "this is the one!" over the loudspeaker. Total mayhem at first then settled down to just consistently very good. A few dorado joined the mix and were caught. On one cast I made with a jig a tuna jumped out right where it landed and must have made a 10 foot arc through the air! I couldn't buy a bite on the jig; one guy got one on a tiny chovy lookalike. A couple large, trout sized sardines and mackerel appeared in the wells so I tried flylining those on 40 pound (tail hooked). Bit and spit or picked a few times on the deans and not a touch on mackies. By the time we headed for the barn my son had two more and I had three more, but his were larger as he pointed out. The fish at this spot fought about twice as hard as in the morning.

Mostly anchovies for bait, some pretty good ones, the tuna ate em up fine. Large deans and various size macks we were not encouraged to fish. My son and I fished mostly 20 pound, no fluoro ("floral"); seemed like bait selection was more important. I got one on 30. Crew suggested sinkers because birds had been merciless, up to 3/4 slider or rubbercore (old-school), some people were fishing texas rig but a leader worked better and I mostly used a #2 or #3 split shot. #2 hooks or so. Fish about 12-20 pounds maybe one or two larger. Boat didn't bother with holding a JP. Nobody seemed to mind.

Crew was great, worked hard, helped hooked-up people, and quick with the gaff. Gave a seminar first thing explaining how-tos (good for first timers) and also encouraging us to get to be good friends with each other (good for everyone, especially me haha). Met some really nice folks on board. I only cast over them a few times haha. The only downside was the saltwater rinse tank the fish were held in only holds about 50 tuna and we had about 100, some stayed in bags at the end. No big, I cut off a little mushburg when packaging; plenty of good stuff. Sorry about the length of the report. Also, no pictures...

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
Good memories for you and your boy.

Sorry to hear about the poor fish handling on the Sea Watch.

All that time and money to come away with tuna mush is a real shame.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Very cool, thanks for the 3/4 day take on the action!!!

Upvote 0

gb58

Almost A Member
Nov 10, 2006
vista,ca
Name
greg braun
Boat
none
Wanted to take my younger son out to experience the offshore action, but couldn't find any 1.5 day or overnight trips on somewhat short notice (had to find out his latest work schedule). Found the Sea Watch at Seaforth was available so booked the spots. I think they're mostly a half-day operation, but doing offshore duty during the current local bite.

Drove down through bands of showers with thunderstorms in OC and upper SD counties and hoped it would be clearer down south. It started out that way, but as we headed SW then S we went through a couple squalls for our morning shower, with quite a bit of lightning somewhat disturbingly close by.

We came out from under the clouds around 0900 and the captain spotted some jumpers. My son got his first tuna off this one -- high five! I didn't make him eat the heart as I never did and things were hectic. Boils all around the boat, probably lasted 30-45 minutes. I didn't get one; mostly helping him.

Second spot soon after I think were meter fish. A little shorter bite this time, but still lots of boils with some completely out of the water. Saw a big shark but couldn't verify kind. I got one tuna here.

A long drought after that as we continued south, went east a bit, and started back north. It was getting late when the captain gunned the engines heading toward a couple terns picking in the distance. We got there and he said "this is the one!" over the loudspeaker. Total mayhem at first then settled down to just consistently very good. A few dorado joined the mix and were caught. On one cast I made with a jig a tuna jumped out right where it landed and must have made a 10 foot arc through the air! I couldn't buy a bite on the jig; one guy got one on a tiny chovy lookalike. A couple large, trout sized sardines and mackerel appeared in the wells so I tried flylining those on 40 pound (tail hooked). Bit and spit or picked a few times on the deans and not a touch on mackies. By the time we headed for the barn my son had two more and I had three more, but his were larger as he pointed out. The fish at this spot fought about twice as hard as in the morning.

Mostly anchovies for bait, some pretty good ones, the tuna ate em up fine. Large deans and various size macks we were not encouraged to fish. My son and I fished mostly 20 pound, no fluoro ("floral"); seemed like bait selection was more important. I got one on 30. Crew suggested sinkers because birds had been merciless, up to 3/4 slider or rubbercore (old-school), some people were fishing texas rig but a leader worked better and I mostly used a #2 or #3 split shot. #2 hooks or so. Fish about 12-20 pounds maybe one or two larger. Boat didn't bother with holding a JP. Nobody seemed to mind.

Crew was great, worked hard, helped hooked-up people, and quick with the gaff. Gave a seminar first thing explaining how-tos (good for first timers) and also encouraging us to get to be good friends with each other (good for everyone, especially me haha). Met some really nice folks on board. I only cast over them a few times haha. The only downside was the saltwater rinse tank the fish were held in only holds about 50 tuna and we had about 100, some stayed in bags at the end. No big, I cut off a little mushburg when packaging; plenty of good stuff. Sorry about the length of the report. Also, no pictures...

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

gb58

Almost A Member
Nov 10, 2006
vista,ca
Name
greg braun
Boat
none
I fished that boat a while ago and the captain and crew worked hard to find fish.
Mayhem is an accurate discription

Upvote 0