Jan 17, 2010
san gabriel california
Name
jacky
Boat Name
don't have one
3/4 day trip abord the Sum Fun off Dana Wharf Sportfishing 2/16

Greetings my fellow fishing addicts,

I am back again to report another exciting trip I went on today aboard the Sum Fun. I've been itching to go back out after getting my butt kicked last weekend at Newport Landing but it all paid off today. I had my good friend come along with me also and it was his first time aboard an open party boat but we did really well. Lets get to the action shall we?

The boat left right on the dot at 7am and everyone was anticipating for a fun day of fishing. 9 hours of fun for $30?! Can it get any better?! Anyway captain annouces over the PA that we will try for some squid and then some Sculpins. I only had one squid jig with me at the time and I gave it to my friend because he never caught a squid before. I decided to try out a glow in the dark swimbait with a 10oz sinker on dropper loop set up. My friend hooked on a good one about 500ft down but lost it during the last 100 ft. I hooked on a good one but half way it came off. When I reeled in my lure, the tail was snapped off and only half it was left.. I finally submit and bought a squid jig from the boat. A lady boated the first squid and it was dead for a while. The captain annouced that we will be moving but I was in the middle of letting my lure down. My squid jig stopped and I reeled in tightly and squid on! This guy was only about 150-200ft down. I told my friend to quickly drop his jig and he was on one also. Captain immediately shuts off engine as more people began hitting the squid. My friend and I boated ours and got our first squid kills of the day! Captain moves to aanother spot for 1 last squid search. My friend and I boated another one and similarly they were about 400-500 ft down but comes up after 1 person hooks on one. After an hour and half of squid fishing capt. decides to move and we move 45min toward San Onofre for some bass action. We hit up a kelp bed on the first bass spot. People were hooking on calicos left and right but all were illegal. Most were caught on drop and I was using a Kalin's Magambo (Jackpot Jimmy recommended) with a lead head and squid strip and it got hit by a tiny guy on the drop. This lure works magic to trigger reaction bites! Anyway nothing but small calicos capt. decides to move and next spot no one caught anything. Capt finally decides to move on to sculpin fishing.

We basically stayed at this spot for the rest of the day.

Upon arrival the spot, my friend and I had 1 bare hook and 1 jighead with glow in the dark lure and I had 1 bare hook and a luckychum sponged plastic on mine. Placed squid strip on and dropped it down to bottom. Felt hits reel in and kept getting stupid sanddabs. Friend finally boated first sculpin after reeling 3 cranks up from bottom. Ever since we started doing that my friend and I hit sculpin limit in no time also released quite a lot of illegal one and gave away two legal ones. Glow in the dark lures was the key in this area (or scent). To be honest I didn't really believe in plastic lures and its effectiveness and even scent until today's experience. My friend and I had a great time and this was the first time I hit a limit of anything. It felt great. Today's condition was also wonderful. It was a breezy yet sunny day perfect for fishing. Even though today was great, I still itch to catch a yellowtail or a big sand bass. They're just more fun to catch IMO. Anyway I hope my report isn't too long for you guys. till next time tight lines..

PS: big thanks to the Sum Fun crew. Without their friendly and helpful service, the day would not be as great as it was. This is by far one of the best boats I've been on. Big thanks!

Squids

dana3.jpg

Sculpins

dana2.jpg

Nice day

dana1.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2009
HB
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Shamrock CC
Nice report sounds like you had alot of fun, 9 hours of fishing for 30 bucks thats a great deal. Too bad you couldn't land any calico keepers cant wait to get me another batch of that stuff, I miss my calicotacos!

Upvote 0

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat Name
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
good job getting the squirts. sculpin is perfect for them fish sticks

Upvote 0

j12

Jan 17, 2010
san gabriel california
Name
jacky
Boat Name
don't have one
HBfisherman, yea I wish I had hooked a big sandbass or calico because they are fun to pull up. I was really looking forward to some serious bass fishing but the sculpin wasn't bad..

Ambush thanks and I actually steamed them and topped it with some heated oil to crisp the skin. I topped it with green onion and sweet chinese fish soy sauce. The texture of the meat was wonderful and my friends told me it tasted just like expensive steamed fish you would buy at a chinese resturant (probably $20 at least) So all in all the trip was well worth it!

Upvote 0

Trebo

Mar 16, 2006
Inland
Name
Lorenzo
Boat Name
Between
Jacky - I love reading just about any report, but there are a few folks on this site that I really love to read because you can tell how much fun they had fishing. You got me pumped up. Nicely done. Also, nice of you to put your buddy on the squid jig.

P.S. - On the "Fun to Catch" meter, Sculpin are probably a 1. On the "Make for Good Eating" meter, they rank pretty high, IMO.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat Name
Wellcraft Coastal
Dana Warf Sportfishing is lots of fun! We have been a handfull of times before I bought my boat..Sculpin and sheephead are my favorites to eat, (even more than tuna) tried grilling it one time and it fell apart, so if your going to grill it, be careful!

Upvote 0

DONNIE SD

Class on Wednesday
Jan 19, 2009
Santee,CA
Name
Allen
thanks for the report. I have a gift cert. for up there... I need to get on my horse and get up there....

Good luck next time on the winter yellow!!!

Upvote 0

Monster Mike

Lucky 13x
Jan 23, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Michael Rosenthal
Boat Name
"The Skiff"
Great report! not too long. Your the kind of friend I would like to fish with, spreading the wealth! and you do the cooking!Good luck getting that yellow tail, lookin forward for that report!

Upvote 0

brianwoolley

Aug 3, 2008
San Clemente, CA
Name
yes I have one
Boat Name
65'
Jacky-

Thanks for riding with us yesterday. You guys did a great job and based on your
post it appears you had a great time. Hopefully we will see you guys back
with us again soon!

-Brian W
SUM FUN

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2009
Seal Beach
Name
Steven
Boat Name
soon...
Great post. I wish i could get out there...
And btw...sanddabs are not stupid lol
There actually some of the best tasting fish around here...i dont understand y people hate them.
Make a diagonal cut from back of the head through the belly, taking head and gut cavity off...lightly flour and pan fry. Its a lil work to get the tiny bones but...its great
I can eat so many of those...

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat Name
Wellcraft Coastal
Great post. I wish i could get out there...
And btw...sanddabs are not stupid lol
There actually some of the best tasting fish around here...i dont understand y people hate them.
Make a diagonal cut from back of the head through the belly, taking head and gut cavity off...lightly flour and pan fry. Its a lil work to get the tiny bones but...its great
I can eat so many of those...

I don't recommend grilling those either, I put some on tin foil on the grill, I came back 5 min later, I'm like where the hell did my dinner go? they just evaporated and just the outline of the sandabs were there...:imdumb:back to the Louisiana fish fry.

Upvote 0

j12

Jan 17, 2010
san gabriel california
Name
jacky
Boat Name
don't have one
Hey Trebo thanks for reading. I'm glad my report got you pumped up! Hope to see you in the salt soon and I await your report !

Lyndevva instead of grilling it I steamed it chinese style topped with green onions and steamed fish soy sauce and my friends loved it. Said it's just like the restaurant! Thz for the heads up buddy.

Donnie you definitely gotta go asap before the next storm acts up! The conditions are great right now.

Monster Mike I hope to get that yellow report in asap. hehe I can't wait just watching videos on youtube kills me.

Brian, big thanks. I seriously appreciated all the help. The trip would not have been this great without the crew. Honestly yesterday's trip was one of the best I've ever been to and I will definitely be back with you guys. Thanks again and look forward to next trip =)

Calicokevin I'll try to cook them next time it's just that I gutted one once and it smelled horrible so I didn't even bother trying to cook them. I heard the guts make for great lingcod bait from some guy on FNN. Who knows i'll try it out.. (i better store it somewhere isolated so my roomates won't get pissed at me).

Everyone else that read and posted thanks for reading and I look forward to write about my next trip whenever that maybe..

Upvote 0