3/4 day SD YT bite

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Highwayman, Feb 14, 2016.

1. JonT baja22

JonT baja22 Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Fish n chix
    Last Monday on the Malihini . 51 people got 67 YT all on Yo-Yo .. Fishing down at the Finger Bank

2. JonT baja22

JonT baja22 Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Fish n chix
    Definitely different shades of Mint . But definitely not green

KINGSIZE likes this.
  3. Irishman

Irishman Irishman

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    n/a
    I'll step up on this...last Sunday..Malihini..100 yellows for 35 anglers. Deep water, we hit about 8 schools, some bit, some did not. Drop straight down and reel as fast as you can, different schools hit at different depths, varied water column fishing. The shimano butterfly in red worked for some...I fished the heaviest salas I had...pure white and got some, it was a different bite per school. Mission belle came back with 50+ we came back with 100. My mistake was lobbing the iron 50 yards off the bow as opposed to dropping straight down. Heavy heavy old school irons down and crank. If I'd replay for max fishing again...bow once school is seen, heavy irons, wind through the bite, 6.5' 30-60lb boat rod, baja penn special, max drag, 50lb braid, 50lb top shot. I'm looking for a penn baja special and buying one. Guys on two speed did well also.

Tackleho619, Highwayman and Joda like this.
  4. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Alan, I agree. The narrow 4/0 is a classic heavy jig reel. I don't know if anything is really required. Like I said earlier the 533 was great too. I did fish a 7'&8' rod. I slid the reel up on the 8' to get more rod butt for under the arm though. Glad you got them too!

5. 50Fathoms

50Fathoms Newbie

Name:
    Ross Whittaker
    Boat:
    What's Available?
    Went on the Malihini yesterday (Feb 19th). Stayed around the islands all day. Looked for yellowtail all morning and found a few schools, everyone one was fishing yoyo but nothing was biting. Switched to targeting rockfish around Noon. Fishing was pretty slow but we ended up with ~60 for 24 anglers. Mostly whitefish with a few reds. I had a short lingcod which went back and 3 whites which should make for a good little taco feast. Most everything was caught on the north side of the islands.

Not sure if the front that blew through on Thursday had anything to do with it. Seas 6 to 7, long period swell, and the wind came and went throughout the day, which added a little to the fun.

A good day on the water even if it wasn't an overly productive day. This was my first time on the Malihini and they are a first rate operation. Deckhands were great especially Mikey, who was keeping everyone in high spirits even with the slow fishing. I'll definitely be going back put on the Malihini.

6. oicu812

oicu812 Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    None
    Getting close to full moon. The YT must be feeding all night.

JonT baja22 likes this.
  7. KINGSIZE

KINGSIZE On The Bow

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Searcher
    I was on the Malihini yesterday (2/20) and we headed south to the finger bank. Chief, Old Glory, Chubasco & the Mission Bell all making 1-1.5 knot drifts on good size schools of YT. As posted prior it was all about the mint JRI Stinger and Salas 6X heavys. We decked 36 YT from 15-25 grade for 20 anglers. The zone is plugged with bait so it's all reaction bite.

image.jpeg

JonT baja22, Tackleho619 and twotrack like this.
  8. Highwayman

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Robert, nice catch I have to get out asap. The word is definitely out on the zone. I guess as long as the baits there it's all good!

KINGSIZE likes this.
  9. Bolocop

Bolocop Newbie

Name:
    Bolocop
    Boat:
    not yet
    Went on Belle last Monday, mint worked well as well as the blue and white. Mostly 6X heavy iron. Current was ripping!

If the malihini or belle stays around the islands, it's gotta be that you are on the lighter load. They can't afford to go past the rock pile where the quality is.

10. Joda

Joda Member

Name:
    Jonathan c
    Boat:
    one day
    Went on mission belle Saturday, only 8 anglers on the boat. End up with 6 yt for the whole boat. 15-20# size except 1. Of the 6, I caught one of them but it happens to be the smallest yt in perhaps all of Mexico.

Can't wait to go back!

KINGSIZE likes this.
  11. KINGSIZE

KINGSIZE On The Bow

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Searcher
    Jon,

You sold me on the mint. Thanks again for the fish.

JonT baja22 likes this.
  12. Joda

Joda Member

Name:
    Jonathan c
    Boat:
    one day
    so thinking back to the Saturday trip, i have a few questions.

With 8 anglers on MB vs. 20 anglers on Malihini, MB caught 6, Malihini caught 36. We were literally next to each other the whole time at finger banks.

Was it just luck? skills? Or other factors?

Is it possible that 20 yoyo's in the water is more visible than 8 yoyo's in the water?

just want to know since i chose the boat with less anglers for comfort sake but does not want that to affect the fish counts.

your thoughts?

13. Highwayman

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Was the MB chumming? The Malahini threw chum pretty well and kept telling the anglers to grind hard. I was sweating pretty good on a cool day. I know a lot of the people on board fished pretty hard. They had to I know not one fish was hooked on bait. I did notice a couple day dreamers got skunked.

14. KINGSIZE

KINGSIZE On The Bow

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Searcher
    IMHO yoyo fishing is 70% luck and 30% local water knowledge. That said, we only had 2 rental rods on the boat. Lots of local seasoned vets on the boat Saturday.

15. JonT baja22

JonT baja22 Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Fish n chix
    No problem brotha

KINGSIZE likes this.
  16. JonT baja22

JonT baja22 Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Fish n chix
    Last Saturday was a decent day on the JRI mint Stinger again managing to land 4 YT ..Nice meeting you Robert A.K.A KingSize

image.jpg

KINGSIZE likes this.
  17. KINGSIZE

KINGSIZE On The Bow

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Searcher
    Nice meeting you too. Looking forward to fishing with you guys again. I plan on hitting SD once a month or more this season.

JonT baja22 likes this.
  18. rookie angler

rookie angler Member

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I used a scrambled egg 6x last week on the MB. Landed 4 YT and handed off 2 to my buddy who have having trouble hooking up. He thought the issue was his gear so I handed him my torium hg/phenix setup and I fished his fathom 2sp/calstar. 2 drops later and I gave his rod back hooked on a mean YT.

I told him to crank faster and not to let out so much lime. The current was ripping so he didn't notice his jig was just dragging on the bottom. I handed off another fish and then he got the hang of it and hooked his own.

Several other guys were fishing small reels with spools only 1/2 filled. Their jigs had no chance of getting enough speed. Color didn't seem to matter much to me. What worked was speed and keeping the jig in the proper zone. There are no guarantees but you can improve your odds.

fishsmith likes this.
  19. Bolocop

Bolocop Newbie

Name:
    Bolocop
    Boat:
    not yet
    Exactly, I don't agree w a previous post about jig fishing being luck. I've seen too many of the same people catch more fish than others on trips.

JonT baja22 likes this.
  20. KINGSIZE

KINGSIZE On The Bow

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Searcher
    Yeah, what do I know. I'm totally brand new to fishing. :-)

JonT baja22 likes this.