3/4 day SD YT bite

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
so thinking back to the Saturday trip, i have a few questions.

With 8 anglers on MB vs. 20 anglers on Malihini, MB caught 6, Malihini caught 36. We were literally next to each other the whole time at finger banks.

Was it just luck? skills? Or other factors?

Is it possible that 20 yoyo's in the water is more visible than 8 yoyo's in the water?

just want to know since i chose the boat with less anglers for comfort sake but does not want that to affect the fish counts.

your thoughts?

Highwayman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
Was the MB chumming? The Malahini threw chum pretty well and kept telling the anglers to grind hard. I was sweating pretty good on a cool day. I know a lot of the people on board fished pretty hard. They had to I know not one fish was hooked on bait. I did notice a couple day dreamers got skunked.

KINGSIZE

On The Bow
Jul 9, 2010
Simi Valley
Name
Robert
Boat
Searcher
so thinking back to the Saturday trip, i have a few questions.

With 8 anglers on MB vs. 20 anglers on Malihini, MB caught 6, Malihini caught 36. We were literally next to each other the whole time at finger banks.

Was it just luck? skills? Or other factors?

Is it possible that 20 yoyo's in the water is more visible than 8 yoyo's in the water?

just want to know since i chose the boat with less anglers for comfort sake but does not want that to affect the fish counts.

your thoughts?
IMHO yoyo fishing is 70% luck and 30% local water knowledge. That said, we only had 2 rental rods on the boat. Lots of local seasoned vets on the boat Saturday.

JonT baja22

Mar 31, 2014
Chula vista
Name
Jon
Boat
Fish n chix
Last Saturday was a decent day on the JRI mint Stinger again managing to land 4 YT ..Nice meeting you Robert A.K.A KingSize

image.jpg

Reactions: KINGSIZE

rookie angler

Jun 2, 2009
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
I used a scrambled egg 6x last week on the MB. Landed 4 YT and handed off 2 to my buddy who have having trouble hooking up. He thought the issue was his gear so I handed him my torium hg/phenix setup and I fished his fathom 2sp/calstar. 2 drops later and I gave his rod back hooked on a mean YT.

I told him to crank faster and not to let out so much lime. The current was ripping so he didn't notice his jig was just dragging on the bottom. I handed off another fish and then he got the hang of it and hooked his own.

Several other guys were fishing small reels with spools only 1/2 filled. Their jigs had no chance of getting enough speed. Color didn't seem to matter much to me. What worked was speed and keeping the jig in the proper zone. There are no guarantees but you can improve your odds.

Reactions: fishsmith

Bolocop

Sep 24, 2014
Name
Bolocop
Boat
not yet
I used a scrambled egg 6x last week on the MB. Landed 4 YT and handed off 2 to my buddy who have having trouble hooking up. He thought the issue was his gear so I handed him my torium hg/phenix setup and I fished his fathom 2sp/calstar. 2 drops later and I gave his rod back hooked on a mean YT.

I told him to crank faster and not to let out so much lime. The current was ripping so he didn't notice his jig was just dragging on the bottom. I handed off another fish and then he got the hang of it and hooked his own.

Several other guys were fishing small reels with spools only 1/2 filled. Their jigs had no chance of getting enough speed. Color didn't seem to matter much to me. What worked was speed and keeping the jig in the proper zone. There are no guarantees but you can improve your odds.
Exactly, I don't agree w a previous post about jig fishing being luck. I've seen too many of the same people catch more fish than others on trips.

Reactions: JonT baja22

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats

I found out most of the time if you work hard at Yo Yoing you
with get your share