Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
So Steve and I fished his Whaler, the Rocket Sled, today. It’s supposed to be my turn to drive but I’m WAITING for SIM Yamaha to ship 100-hour maintenance parts 😬. We started near Izor’s, putting a quick 5 or so on the boat. Actually Steve caught them while I watched. That SOB parks the boat with the fish on his side! We had a smoking uphill current and 57 degree water.

We hit a few more spots around Izor’s, then went to the 150, lifted her skirt, and gave it a look see for surface action. Nothing. 65 degrees can’t come soon enough.

On to the Shoe where we spent most of our trip. As usual, we hit stone after stone after... A couple here, a couple there added up. We finally found a spot where fish really wanted silver iron. We must have put 15 or so bass on the clicker in that area. Steve was using a 60 gm Sniper and I was using a 60 gm JP jig. Both silver. Nearly every drop was a fish. The west wind picked up as advertised and we were off the water by 1 or so.

We finished the day with 68 fish on the clicker. AM was nice size sandies to 3.5#, PM was calicos to 3#. 3 or 4 of our calicos were that nice gold breeding color. Bycatch was a big, honking sculpin that Steve brought home for dinner. Lots of fish bit on the drop, but they were all near the bottom. Most fish fell victim to the Kman Special, though honorable mention goes to 60-gram silver jigs and a 5” Big Hammer in Calico Hunter—created by an old fishing buddy and tournament competitor Larry Heron.

Anyways, we didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed. Another great day on the water with a good bud. Thanks for the invite Steve.

5DFA8754-97D1-4940-8DFD-50FDC0D62833.jpeg

8F0061BC-FA88-481A-99B9-E421552398D4.jpeg

2CD9B7E3-C241-4CD0-8525-6624C0D0A51E.jpeg

E251D299-CE64-4476-BA42-98EFF532F7FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
OK, here is Kman’s tip for the day. I’m assuming by now you have gotten a chart with relief shading. Man what an upgrade that was. Now you can see rocks, LOTS of which you didn’t know existed. Even if you don’t have relief shading, this will greatly help you.

You need one more thing: A heading sensor for your boat.

Nearly all boats without auto pilots do not have heading sensors. When you are under way, your plotter’s GPS gives accurate heading info. When you are stopped, your chart plotter has no idea which way your boat is pointed, so it points your boat in a random direction—or annoyingly spins. When you are near structure (or a waypoint that’s on structure) you have no idea which way to cast to present your bait to fish holding over that structure. Ya, you can look at the north arrow and figure which way the structure is, but it is very difficult—at least it is for me.

The easiest way to have your boat point the correct direction on your plotter (when it is stopped) is to add a heading sensor to your NMEA 2000 backbone and then tell your plotter/MFD to use the heading sensor for heading input. This makes knowing which side to fish on soooooooooo much easier! Prices are around $200 and up if memory serves. DO NOT buy a heading sensor if you have or plan on adding an auto pilot because it will come with one.

Below is a recent pic of a chart plotter hooked up to a heading sensor. You can clearly see the structure is on the port side and that is where you will usually catch more fish.

0BD587DA-766D-4B23-9389-301E7A186683.jpeg

Last edited:

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Luv that clicker! I only need to use my fingers!! Thanks for the complete report, as always. Thanks too, for the heads up on ways to be more successful. My number one is the KMAN SPECIAL plastics. They work everytime!

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    fun times once again.

got to try out my new uc gp 85 xf.

Latest posts