Beauchat2

Almost A Member
Aug 21, 2012
oahu
Name
Russ
Boat
22 Force flybridge DEEEEZEL, 16 Arima Sandbar Queen
Haven't posted in about 6 years but here goes. Decided to run the boat this weekend but the forecast for Kaneohe seemed a little too gusty so we decided to head out to Waianae since the cap had some business to do down that side. Launched about 7am heading out straight to the pinnacle. At 19 miles we found a nice pile of birds and kept with them for awhile. Nothing was hitting the 7's and 9's so we decided to downsize to 5's. Soon after we took a double strike. first to come up was an aku about 6 pounds. My buddy on the other reel took awhile to bring up what we thought was another aku. He said it was definitely bigger than an aku. The moment i grabbed the line i could tell this one had some weight to it. He decided to play it safe since we were running 100lb leader. As soon as i saw color, i could tell it was a decent size YFT and after some careful leadering we landed it. Not quite the first ahi of the year but i ate the heart nonetheless, came out to 84 pounds gutted. Hopefully its a great start to a great ahi season. The mango trees have plenty flowers which is a good sign. We also got a 17 pound mahi and a rat shibi.

ahi2021.jpg

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Russ,
Glad to see your posting return... Congrats on the good day on the West Side, thinking it was well worth the drive over. CHEE! Our tree is also flowering.

Cheers
Pat