3-22-14 w/ update.

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by patfishhi, Mar 23, 2014.

1. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    First here's what's been happening: back in early Feb slip neighbor Greg and I went out and picked up some Mahis and missed some along w/ a missed Marlin. I knew that would be the last trip for awhile. Middle of February we started our 3 week planned outage at work, life other than work stops at that point. Finished a day early so a couple mainland contractors and I were able to sneak away on 3/7 for a quick 5 hour trip. Found the porpoise just inside the 1000, couldn't stay long, just as we were thinking of pulling away the stbd corner goes, that will get you to jump up out of your seat. After a few seconds we all see a large splash and see a 3plus marlin take off for the horizon. She gets a good 400 yds in the water before when settles down, one more line to clear and she comes off, we are out of time and head in. Enough of history let's talk real/reel time.

Saturday 3/22/14 Mike and David meet me down at the Kai'Nana, need to put some fuel in so pull over to the loading dock and get that done. Run to S no bait, angle down towards Barber's, get outside Ko'Olina and slide back up the 1000 to the middle. heading in towards S, David and I are up in the tower, Mike is relaxing on the fish box, when the stbd flat goes, then the port flat goes, that comes off but the stbd is still stuck. Mike and I are on the back deck, David stays in the tower, when I see one of those pesky little critters eyeing up the stbd corner. Mike stays w/ the stbd flat and just as I get to the corner, the rod tip bounces, free spool/thumb on reel, just like he's supposed grabs the lure, let him have it, this fish comes tight also, OK need to clear some lines.

While doing so the second fish comes off. Get a couple lines cleared and Mike gets his fish to the boat, gaffed and over the side our nice little Nairagi comes. This was Mike's first time with the bigger stand up gear, the fish really wasn't big enough to load it up properly, still good fun.
    DSCF0427.JPG
    Make some more passes thru the area, Mike and I are up in the tower when pretty much everything goes, had 8 lures in the water, during that blitz, 7 of them went at 1 time or another. 2 stayed stuck, (David has a bum hand so he reels his fish in from the rod holder), Mike stands up to another Nairagi, 2 more on the deck (WOW).
    DSCF0429.JPG
    See some boats up towards Kaena so we head that way, sure enough the inside resident porpoise pile, but pretty active and holding fish, plenty marks between 120 and 200 feet. Could it be??? Even though we don't have too much hope because we believe it has been getting pounded all morning We give a good hours plus, right during the afternoon tide change, see one of the boats hook a little marlin, we never had a touch.

Heading back towards the middle, probably around 2:45 when the port corner goes, never jumps but stays up high, another typical sized Nairagi, contemplate a release but decide to take this one also, probably a good thing one of the hooks split its bill virtually the whole length of its noise.

What a great day, thanks again Mike and David.

pics of the lures that got whacked that day.
    DSCF0430.JPG
    Cheers
    Pat

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. Booya

Booya Newbie

Name:
    Ted
    Boat:
    35 Carolina Classic
    Great action, solid post, thanks for sharing and showing.

3. superpile

superpile Captain

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Seacret Sauce
    lots of bills around right now. Good luck with those deep marks.

4. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE- Lil Toot 3
    Good going Pat. Been super busy and I haven't gone in over a month.

5. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Nice to see you're still keeping up your streak. Hope the weatherman is correct and maybe thursday looks good. My daughter's on spring break from UH and my better half's on vacation. Have to try follow your lead and bring the wife along for good luck.

6. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Good going, Pat and crew!

7. Kinaiahi61

Kinaiahi61 Member

Name:
    Kalani
    Boat:
    Kai Kea
    Thanks for the report. Been super busy working so its nice to read others posts. Thursday looks like the winds might die down. Stay safe, tight lines and aloha no.

8. Konakai

Konakai Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kona Kai
    Great catch Pat! How was the sushimi? Mahalo for sharing!

9. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Pat, Mike and David,
    Another great day on the Kai Nana! Congrats on that nice haul of nairagis! Been busy with daughter's sports activities, work, "honey do list" so haven't been able to get out for a while. Hope to get into some action this Thursday on the Banks. Hope to see or talk to you on the water this year!
    Tight lines!
    Russ

changboy likes this.
  10. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Must be too early, or just brain farting, can't figure out the multi-quote stuff, anyway. Thanks All, let's hope the trades stay for awhile, but not too strong (10-15 w/ some 20's thrown in there), and the summer gets here ASAP. Good luck to ALL!!!

Cheers
    Pat

fishintuition likes this.
  11. waterboywhidbey

waterboywhidbey Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Silver Streak 26 Swiftsure
    Thanks Pat for another awesome fishing trip, it just keeps getting better. The Kai Nana has really good karma going. I am sure that most of the success is from the Captains knowledge and skills. We are on a roll this year, three trips and seven billfish. The best part for me is being on the water with good friends and enjoying all the sealife. Looking forward to our next trip at Christmas, good luck with the upcoming ahi season.

Mahalo,

12. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    David,
    Thanks for the time on the water and your well wishes, cooked up the Ling Cod and the King earlier this week; that was some tasty stuff. Maybe the Captain and I will stop by for a visit this summer.

Cheers
    Pat

13. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Good going as usual and thanks for sharing your spread. You are a tru ambassador for the sport.

14. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Way to fire Pat! I still envy your consistent trolling success.

Jonny

15. tsutomulures

tsutomulures tsutomulures.com

Name:
    tsutomu
    Boat:
    24 Skipjack
    Nice!

16. patfishhi

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Ah-ha I figured out the new way to multi quote...

Thanks G.

Thanks Jonny, probably not as consistent as my posts would lead you to believe; we did break off a good marlin yesterday.

Thanks Brian, the ice blue tady M80 had to be sacrificed to the fish gods yesterday. Fortunately I have more heads.

Cheers
    Pat

17. waterboywhidbey

waterboywhidbey Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Silver Streak 26 Swiftsure
    Hi Pat
    Glad you enjoyed the fish, wish it could have been. It would be great to have you out for a visit, the salmon run forecast is great for this summer. Contact me when you are making plans.
    Mahalo,
    David