tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
We decided to make one more soak for the season, no lobsters but a nice night and lots of critters, like this guy

That is the first swell shark I have caught, and in a hoop no less. He was pissed off, biting everything in sight.

Check out how he came aboard.

The octopus was in the net and just attacked the shark. I had to pull the two apart. We ended the night with 5 octopus ( one caught on a pumpkin BH !). The last hoops all had octopus in them.

Along with 4 or 5 large spider crabs, we pulled up a few red rock crabs as well. This was a nice one, about 5 inches.

Good times with my friends but not much for the cooler ;) at least the pressure is off until October :smash:

Steve

Jul 22, 2004
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
23' IMP WA "Hook - Up!"
I love Octopus. I was sitting here thinking, If I was hooping, I would have no idea what I could keep or toss back. Can you keep the octopus and crab? Are there size restrictions?

I haven't really fished the bottom in a while. Last year I obtained the rules for rockfish and said Fuck-it. For me it is a ticket waiting to happen.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
I enjoy octopus and I prefer crab to lobster. There is no size limit on the octopus and the red rock crabs need to be 4" across the shell. Most of the rock crabs we caught were legal but had one claw "pinched". I'm unsure how to prep and cook the octopus.

Anyone have any good recipes for the octopus?

Steve

May 13, 2005
Glendale
Name
Parley
Boat
too small for ocean....
OctoPUS is GOOOOD, but I have only pulled up smaller ones that I didnt bother cooking. While hoop'in, it is desirable to get the big octoPUS.

Spyder

There Can Be Only One....
May 27, 2005
Down in Fraggle Rock
Name
Jim
Boat
COBRA FISH & DIVE
Dana, it's called a Swell Shark. I never caught one either.

Here it is:

[SIZE=+1]Swell Shark[/SIZE]
(Cephaloscyllium ventriosum)

The swell shark lives in the kelp forest, along rocky areas where algae is present. It's small (less than four feet) and brownish in color. It has a stout body, a flattened head with large oval eyes, a short snout, and very wide mouth. Its mouth is filled with lots of tiny teeth.
The swell shark is nocturnal and eats mainly small fish and any prey it can easily swallow. It will sometimes invade lobster traps for an easy meal. However, it's not dangerous to people.
Like the horn shark, the swell shark lays eggs. Unlike the horn shark, its egg case doesn't look like it's from a machine shop. The swell shark egg case looks like a drawstring purse, and is sometimes called a mermaid's purse. After seven to ten months, the egg case hatches, and, as you can see in the photograph above, the swell shark pup emerges.
It's called a swell shark because it can pump water into its stomach, causing its body to "swell up." This makes it difficult to pull out from between rocks, or for bigger fish to swallow it.

Gypsea

I can cook too
Jan 31, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dana
Boat
Sold :0(
..learn something new every day..sometimes twice! Thanks spideydude!

the_looper

The Looper
Oct 20, 2005
valley
www.martinflores.com
Name
"M"
Boat
20 ft Larson Center Console "The Looper"
We got alot of Swell Sharks this year in the Nets.. Pretty cool looking for sure..Hope u are planning to use those Octopus for Lings April 1st??!!!!

coble

Jan 26, 2007
carlsbad
Name
jerry coble
Boat
n/a
boil 1 1/2 hours, slow simmer w/ big metal spoon. large chunks. grill on bb until char marks occur. add devil sc. w/rice, a vegi your in heaven. sorry , forgot cutting in smaller chunks after grilling. anchient chinese secret. just kidding its probably mex.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Martin, I completly missed the "bait opportunity". Doh.:smash:

Jerry, At first I thought aluminum foil was going to be part of your recipe... like for blue shark LOL

Do you cut the tentacles off first or "clean?" and cook whole? Does the metal spoon react someway during cooking?

Asian? I'm as wasp'y as you can get (Welsh) ;) and I think asian foods are among the best.

Steve